Need advice buying New Home Theatre System Please

Username: Cleosith

Montreal, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1
Hi everyone,

This is a great board so I thought I'd stop reading all the threads and starting posting some of my own.

I am about to move into my new house. The basement has been pre-wired for 5.1 surround. I already bought a 43' Pioneer Plasma TV and a set of Paradigm Cinema 70 speakers. I have a Panasonic S97S DVD player on order. The speakers are still at the store waiting to be delivered for my move in date so I can change those based on any advice people would like to offer.

Here's my question: I need a new receiver in the 400$ (CAD) price range. My wife and I watch 40% movies, 50% TV and 10% music. The store I am currently talking to is offering me a Yamaha RXV-550 for 430$. I have no idea if this suits my needs or not as my knowledge of receivers is limited. Also, while I'm asking, can anyone tell me if the Paradigm Cinema 70 speakers were a terrible buy? I got all 5 speakers for 400$ (CAD). I can arrange to replace them if necessary cause they are still at the store waiting to be delivered. I should also mention that my cable will have some HD channels, and that the room the system will be in is about 800 sq. ft, but the surround speakers will be in a 400 sq. ft half of that area.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!!

Cleo

Username: Cleosith

Montreal, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 2
I should also mention that I was looking at the Yamaha HTR-5750 from Future shop. I got super confused about the differences between RXV and HTR so one store I was talking to told me that the RXV-550 and the HTR-5750 are very comparable. I notice the HTR-5750 has 105wx6 and the RXV-550 has 90wx6. I'm not sure what this really means and how much it will effect my listening comfort. I should lastly mention that the HTR-5750 is being sold for 499$ CAD, so a little more expensive than the RXV-550 at 430$.

Thanks again!

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 389
Aaron,

I don't know why, but receivers are terrible overpriced in Canada relative to the U.S.. When I purchased mine over a year ago, I ended up ordering factory reconditioned from the states for less than half-price new here (YMMV).

Check out www.ecost.com and www.etronics.com
Both are affiliated with www.borderfree.com and you get a complete price to your door, including duties, GST and shipping, with no surprises and nothing extra to pay when it it delivered.

For example, the harman/kardon avr-235 is C$900 at Future shop, so C$1035 after taxes. You can get it shipped to your door from www.ecost.com for C$592.98. The smaller harmon/kardon avr-135 is C$700 plus taxes (C$805) at Future Shop and you can get it shipped from www.ecost.com for C$442.78

They have cheaper models too, but shipping and handling is often about the same amount so you save more in terms of percentage by buying a more expensive model. ;-)

If you don't want to order from the US, then I might suggest last year's model, the harmon/kardon avr-230, on sale now for C$600 (plus taxes) at Future Shop. If that is over your budget, the all-digital Panasonic SAXR50 is getting great reviews (for digital audio inputs) and is only C$250 at Future Shop and elsewhere.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 390
Aaron wrote:

I should lastly mention that the HTR-5750 is being sold for 499$ CAD

Actually, it's currently reduced to C$399.99 on the Future Shop web site. But if it were me, I'd still take the h/k avr-135 from the US for a few dollars less. Or the cheaper-still Panasonic.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us