Yamaha HTR-5890 or Onkyo 702 with JBL Studio Speakers?

Username: Sdpaul

Post Number: 1
Hi Guys,

i am looking to finally upgrade about a 4 year old Pioneer reciever to something that will have more features and better match my JBL Studio line speakers.

I have the BIG JBL 4-way Studio front speakers with the 200 watt subwoofers in them along with an S Center channel and two Studio 3-way "Plasma" series rear speakers.

So far, i have narrowed my search down to either a Yamaha HTR-5890 or the Onkyo 702. I like both of these units for their specs and because they have the automatic room calibration features and can be found for $600-$700 at Onecall.com.

But i am by no means an audio *expert* and wonder if certain brands of receivers sound better with certain brands of speakers? I would say i play about 60% music and maybe 40% movies.

i guess i am leaning towards the Yamaha a little more because it seems to have quite a bit more power for only $100 more.

so do you think it would be a virtual toss-up between the Yamaha and the Onkyo or would another brand mesh better with the JBL speakers?

thanks for any help you can give me! :-)

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 382
I'll only say that you shouldn't decide base on 140Wx7 versus 100Wx7. That's only a diffrenece of 1.5 dB and just barely perceptible. Plus these Watts might not be rated the same way.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us