Front firing sub

Bronze Member
Username: Dpriwin

Post Number: 38
I need suggestions on front firing subs. The sub will be integrated into a HT system consisting of Paradigm Monitor 5 fronts, CC-370 Center, Speakercraft in-ceiling AIM 8 rears.

For reasons that are too long to explain, the sub CAN'T be down firing, or ported in any way but to the front.

If possible I would like to keep cost to about $500. Any ideas? I need names and I will go out and audition the subs. Thanks for the help

Bronze Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 55
Don't know about your port requirement but do a Google search for Hsu and SVS, their original websites should give you all the details.

jimvm
Unregistered guest
I'm considering the Onix Rocket ULW-10, which is sealed, front firing and costs $499. Others you might want to look at: PSB SubSonic 5i, front firing and ported to front at $449; and the Adire Audio Rava, sealed, front firing ant only $399.

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 183
I have Monitor 5's, CC370, and Mini's for the rears. My sub of preference is the Paradign PW2100. It flat out does the job. It needs some break in time but once broken in, it is outstanding for both music and movies. I haven't done alot of bragging about this sub in this forum beacuse there are alot of Onix, Hsu, and SVS fans, and although I think those are great subs I believe you have to pay considerably more than the going price for the PW2100 to outperform it. It is an all around superstar. Oh and by the way you can get it to match your Monitors as it is the recommended sub for your speakers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Edster, Jim, Arthur:
Thanks for all your recommendations. I will research them and audition them.

HSU and SVS will not do the trick for me as they are either down-firing or rear-ported. I will look at the Onix, PSB, Adire, and PW2100 (although I think this last one is rear ported).

I will report the findings.

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 184
The PW2100 is front firing, rear ported. Mine is about 8 inches from the rear wall.

Scott Mc
Unregistered guest
I just ordered a Velodyne DPS-12, which is front firing and I believe ported to the front. I haven't received it yet (just ordered it online yesterday) so I can't comment on how it sounds, but I've heard a lot of good things about Velodyne. I paid $340 + $50 S&H so it would fit well within your budget. Just an idea.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
Scott, would you mind letting me know if the Velodyne is front ported once you receive it? I can audition Velodyne at a local retailer. Thanks for the idea.

Scott Mc
Unregistered guest
Daniel,

Just got my sub yesterday. It's my very first, so my point of reference is nil, but it sounds great to me. I'm still trying to get everything configured the best way, but that has more to do with my receiver than anything... I'm very happy with the sub though and I think I got a great deal relative to other places I've seen it advertised.

The port is in front, along the bottom, just below the speaker itself. No other openings on the thing. Hope that helps.

Scott
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us