ORB Speakers

brramer57
Unregistered guest
Does anyone have any experience with these? Are they as good as people say they are? I can't find 1 negative review on them.
Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 787
Sir: I got a set of the Orb 1 speakers last week, and gave them what I thought was an honest trial. Sent them back.

Let me point out two major factors here, please.

1 - I only got the satellites, not the sub. So in playing them I basically got "tweeters." They did sound clean, but very thin.

2 - I used them with a system for which they were never designed. Mains speakers B&W 705s, 10" Mordaunt-Short subwoofer, and NAD 763 receiver.

With the above in mind, the Orbs siimply wimped out. Had they been paired with what they were designed for - mainly, a whole package of Orb satellites AND Orb subwoofer - I think they would have been very good for home theatre use.

The build is very solid - the finish first-rate. But for my system and my music, they were just going to be an irritant.

BTW - the people at Orb are very eager to please, and gave me no trouble at all with the return. If I were to purchase an "all-in-one" (guess that should be "all-in-5?") home theatre system - especially for a small room - the Orbs would be a fine purchase.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 788
PS, please. If you purchase the Orbs, you will have to set your subwoofer crossover rather high. Orb says 160 Hz, but I would think 200 Hz to be a better crossover point. Just my humble opinion.

Bronze Member
Username: Monolgoue

Post Number: 51
I think you're right, putting a couple of Orbs into a system w/ big speakers and a bigger sub isn't really a true test of what they sound like if you use them as a system. I have the crossover set to 120hz. I have the Mod2 in the front 3 channels and Mod1 in the rear, w/ the Super Eight subwoofer, and they sound bigger and fuller than my old 4+ foot tall Klipsch speakers, with much better detail. You wouldn't have had that experience simply by adding a couple Orbs to a system that quite honestly seems perfectly unmatched to the Orbs.

Varit
Unregistered guest
I'm really happy w/ my Orbs...they sound great and you save a lot of $$ buying direct. I use mine 50/50 for music and movies and people that come over are always raving about them. I think I've probably sold at least 3 systems for them at this point. You would swear they are very big speakers if you close your eyes.

I've also spoken w/ them and can agree that the customer service is great. FedEx damaged one of my stands and Orb took care of it right away. The guys on the phone are knowledgeable, and they've answered every email I've sent within a few minutes, even at some very off hours.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 792
What Monologue and Varit are saying just amplifies (pun intended?) what I said earlier: the Orbs would be fine as a complete system - but unfairly adding them to a much different system results in nothing except frustration.

There are so many systems that use what my dear wife calls "peanut" satellites - some of them work well, others, frankly stink. In the ear of the beholder. . .

And your comments about Orb's good service are right on. . .

Username: Zeiss

Post Number: 1
I've recently purchase the Orb 2 Mod's. I've been enjoying them, the satellites have a very full mid bass with plenty of slam and attack, they also integrate very well with the super 8 sub. A few questions, in my opinion the high frequencies are rolled off to some extent, has anyone used their tone control to compensate? Also the supplied desk stands are very flexible, I've always thought that it is important to keep the satellites as ridged as possible for clarity and attack. I know there is an up grade desk stand available, but has any one tried something else?

Thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
I think the highs probably depend a little on the receiver you are using...I have a new Yamaha and I don't need to adjust at all, but I think I might have had the treble at +1 on my old receiver. Desk stand flexibility I don't know about. Yes, they bend when you physically move them to the position that you want, but they are still and are pretty rigid. It's not like the speaker is visibly moving. The new stainless stands they have look really cool, though, so if you're looking for an excuse to buy them you just found one.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
meant to say the free desk stands are "still steel and are pretty rigid."

Username: Walkeye

Post Number: 7
Thanks to you all for an informative thread here. I would greatly appreciate any opinions, as I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on a 5:1 system. I have narrowed my receiver choices to either the Pioneer Elite VSX-54TX or the Denon 3805 (slight lean toward the Elite). I Have narrowed speaker choices to Ascend Acoustics CBM-170's all around with the Hsu STF-2 sub, OR an Orb system with Mod2's accross the front, and Mod1's as rears (I'm still on the fence about going with Orb's Super Eight sub, or Hsu or SVS).

System will most-likely be used about 60/40 movies to music, and will be located in a 12' X 20' carpeted room with 9' ceilings.

I fully-anticipate responses in support (or critical) of each possible combination. Any feedback, either pro and con would be GREATLY appreciated. Perhaps, I can somehow return the favor for future purchasers-to-be.

Again, thanks for the help.

brramer
Unregistered guest
I will let you know in a few days. I ordered the orb system. 3 doubles up front and the super 8. I am anxious to see how they sound. I have read many reviews and everyone thinks they are awesome sounding. I was going to order aperion or ascends but I am trying to get away from the boxes. It makes sense that round speakers make for better sound. I will find out on thursday when they are supposed to arrive.

bruce

Username: Nossus

CT

Post Number: 2
I am currently listening to an orb system, still in the trial period. They have had a few weeks of break-in and are replacing a mismatched floorstander - bookshelf - sub surround set-up.

The orbs look great, which makes the wife happy. Compared to the larger speakers, the orbs, predictably, sound small. They lack a fullness in the midrange. (Like most other speaker systems their size).

That said, if you are looking for a sub-sat combo and small unobtrusive, aesthetic speakers, the orbs compete well with others in their price range. When played at a high volume, they sound hands down better than other micro satellites. I have mod2s across the front, mod1s for surrounds, and the super8 - which was placement sensitive, but now sounds great. Using a Marantz SR7300 to power them.

The plan is to wall mount them, but I worry that it might flatten/thin out the sound too much. Still not 100% set on keeping them.

Hope this helps those considering with the trial purchase. They are worth a listen if you like the look.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
Walkeye...if you go for the Orbs, get an Orb sub. It's as good as the others and acoustically matched to their satellites. It doesn't make sense to split up their matched system.

Bronze Member
Username: Walkeye

Post Number: 11
Thanks all for your insight. Monologue, for what it's worth, I spoke with a guy at Orb yesterday regarding their sub. He strongly recommended going with their sub for system integrity. Also, mentioned the "more-bang-for-the-buck" argument, since they manufacture and sell direct.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
The sub is definitely a great bang for the buck, although most people would also say the Hsu and SVS are pretty good values as well. I just really am in love w/ the way my system sounds and it appears to me that a lot of effort must have gone into matching the sub and sats, since it has by far the best integration of any sub/sat system I've heard. Based on that, I'd say go for the Orb sub, since if it "ain't broke, don't break it" is usually good advice.

justforfyi
Unregistered guest
Here's another thread that pertains to this topic.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/9497.html

Yes, they are a good product.

Username: Marcs23

Jacksonville, FL USA

Just registered so I'm officially a "newbie" however, been reading the board for some time now, great stuff! Of particular interest to me are these Orb speakers. As I started looking to replace my surround sound system, saw and fell in luv with these bad boys...however, made the tragic mistake and purchased the Bose Accoustimass 16. To make a long story short, returned the Bose last week, now waiting for them to credit the ole plastic so I can do what I should've done initially, get the Orbs. Will keep you posted.

Keep up the great work!

Username: Gas_wyoming

Cody, WY

Post Number: 6
Walkeye,
In your post on March 28 you asked about the Denon 3805 vs. the Pioneer Elite VSX-54TX. After about a month of research on reviews and specs, I just purchased the Denon to replace an Onkyo on my main HT/Music system. I have listened to Denon receivers with many speaker systems over the last few years...my impression is the Denon offers sound qualities that "suit my taste". After reading some of the other posts here in the past month, I have to agree with many of the more frequent posters that say you have to like what you're hearing, and be able to objectively know the difference between what you like and don't. Discernment is the key to selecting the system! Every system is going to 'color' the music to a degree. That's why most of the audiophiles who post here advocate playing around for a while to get what you like. I think that's the best advice I've seen here.

Now, what happens when you get it home and it's not like what you heard in the audio store or at a friend's house? That's where I start thinking my speaker setup is the problem. I like the reviews I've read about Denon's setup with the microphone...although reviewers say it's not perfect, you can still manually tweak the setup after the auto setup has been performed. I know most all these $1000 receivers offer this option, but I went for the Denon sound.

Good luck on building your new system. I hope it sounds like you imagine it.

brramer57
Unregistered guest
I received my ORB speakers and have been playing them for a few days now. I ordered the sub and six satelites up front. These speakers are amazing. The sound in music and in movies is exceptionally good. If you are considering these little speakers I don't think you will be un happy. I am glad I read the reviews and took a chance. Are they Loud with crisp clean vocals.
YES!

Bruce

Username: Marcs23

Jacksonville, FL USA

BRRAMER57 -- Thanx for the input. Don't believe I've been this excited bout an electronic purchase, with the exception of the Sony KDF-50WE655, in a long long time. Going with the Mod 2's 6.1 configuration but can't decide on the color...like 'em all but the polish look sure is "groovy" (oops, did I just date meself?!?).

Huge
Unregistered guest
Has anyone had a chance to hear the difference between the mod1 config and the mod2? Sounds like many have gone with the Mod2s up front and the mod1 rear/sides - How big of a difference in sound. I'm looking at a 16X12 room. Comments please.

Username: Astefa

Huge, that is an excellent question, I am looking at orbs myself and asking the same question. My personal opinion is that the Mod2 is a marketing aproach. Let me elaborate on this. By adding another speaker in parallel to the existing one you drop the impedance from 8 ohms to 4 ohms. That in itself will cause the current out of the receiver to double and the power to the speakers to double as well - assuming same level of volume. You could accomplish that by raising the volume level on the single speaker. Now, with that being said, if the Mod2 was a second driver in the same enclosure as the original one at least we would get the benefit of a lower frequency response of the two speakers. This is not the case with separate enclosures. Another drawback is that some receivers introduce unexpected distortions driving a 4 ohms load. That is why I would like to see a Mod2 as two speakers in one enclosure with the impedance of 8 ohms. Is it going to happen?...If it does and only if it does I would get the mod2s.

Username: Astefa

Huge, that is an excellent question, I am looking at orbs myself and asking the same question. My personal opinion is that the Mod2 is a marketing aproach. Let me elaborate on this. By adding another speaker in parallel to the existing one you drop the impedance from 8 ohms to 4 ohms. That in itself will cause the current out of the receiver to double and the power to the speakers to double as well - assuming same level of volume. You could accomplish that by raising the volume level on the single speaker. Now, with that being said, if the Mod2 was a second driver in the same enclosure as the original one at least we would get the benefit of a lower frequency response of the two speakers. This is not the case with separate enclosures. Another drawback is that some receivers introduce unexpected distortions driving a 4 ohms load. That is why I would like to see a Mod2 as two speakers in one enclosure with the impedance of 8 ohms. Is it going to happen?...If it does and only if it does I would get the mod2s.

brramer57
Unregistered guest
I have mod 2's up front with the sub. My room is 17 x 30 with 11' ceilings. It is hard to believe but they fill my room with sound that is full,crisp and clear. I am impressed with these little speakers. I am thinking of taking two from up front and putting them in the rear. They are that loud. My neighbor listened to them last night and he couldn't believe it. I cranked them to 58 on an onkyo reciever with no distortion. I would have turned it up higher but it was loud. They sound full and not tinny.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
I don't think the Mod2 are marketing...they are a lot louder and a better choice for bigger rooms or if you are replacing big speakers.

Anonymous

I can!t see how that little speaker could be a competent center channel in a home theater set up.

bramer57
Unregistered guest
anonymous, I couldn't believe it either. I must have called the company 6 or more times in disbelief. I finally broke down after talking with ethan and will and ordered them. I am glad I did. No more big boxes in the living room. They are amazingly clean and crisp with a full bix box sound. Order them. If you don't like them send them back. The people at orb are pretty easy to deal with.

CT

Post Number: 3
In response to the mod2 question, I disconnected the second speaker to examine the sound difference. Although the logic of the above post would appear sound, there was a noticable difference in volume and an increase in soundstage when the speakers were used as mod2's. I am powering these sats with a Marantz 7300 which has documented difficulty at running 4 ohm loads, but have not experienced any distortion at low or high volumes. The receiver, which also has a reputation for running hot, has not reached an even remotely hot temperature compared to when I was powering 6 ohm floorstanders - I think that this makes sense considering the size and sensitivity of the Orbs, but don't claim to be an expert in the electronics of this.

The speakers also continue to open up their sound, but I still can't praise them as much as others. They are very detailed, but perhaps too much for my ear.

Huge
Unregistered guest
Thanks, I think I am going to order the mod1 system and then upgrade if I feel the need. I am a little concerned about the mod1 as center speaker. Anybody have a mod1 as a center?

brramer57
Unregistered guest
As Ethan and will told me. Go with the mod 2 for center channel.

CT

Post Number: 4
I second that. Movies put a heavy load on a center speaker. With all mod2's up front, during an intense dvd I almost feel like the center has trouble competing with the right and left speakers. The mod2 center with mod1 fronts should be a nice balance. You can try it first - get the mod2 center and listen two it as a mod1 and compare.

brramer57
Unregistered guest
I will share my experience. I have mod 2's across the front. I had to go to my receiver and back the center speakers off 2 notches because they were overpowering the right and left during music. Maybe the size of my room? I don't know. After a week of playing around with them I decided to start turning them up to see what level they would begin to distort. I think my ear drums would have blown before the speakers distorted. They are great in movies. I am going to get mod 1's for my surround now that I know I am going to keep them.
Hope this helps,

Bruce

brramer57
Unregistered guest
I will share my experience. I have mod 2's across the front. I had to go to my receiver and back the center speakers off 2 notches because they were overpowering the right and left during music. Maybe the size of my room? I don't know. After a week of playing around with them I decided to start turning them up to see what level they would begin to distort. I think my ear drums would have blown before the speakers distorted. They are great in movies. I am going to get mod 1's for my surround now that I know I am going to keep them.
Hope this helps,

Bruce

brramer57
Unregistered guest
I will share my experience. I have mod 2's across the front with the subwoofer. I had to go to my receiver and back the center speakers off 2 notches because they were overpowering the right and left during music. Maybe the size of my room? I don't know. After a week of playing around with them I decided to start turning them up to see what level they would begin to distort. I think my ear drums would have blown before the speakers distorted. They are great in movies. I am going to get mod 1's for my surround now that I know I am going to keep them.
Hope this helps,

Bruce

brramer57
Unregistered guest
I will share my experience. I have mod 2's across the front with the subwoofer. I had to go to my receiver and back the center speakers off 2 notches because they were overpowering the right and left during music. Maybe the size of my room? I don't know. After a week of playing around with them I decided to start turning them up to see what level they would begin to distort. I think my ear drums would have blown before the speakers distorted. They are great in movies. I am going to get mod 1's for my surround now that I know I am going to keep them.
Hope this helps,

Bruce

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 655
It makes much sense that the Mod2's would offer bigger sound, better soundstage, and likely better imaging.

Look how many manufacturers of speakers (Paradigm for instance) double the woofers and or midranges in their more expensive speakers. Increased output of sound(because of increased speaker surface area)and bigger soundstage is likely to happen as the driver coverage is larger.

So I would say if you like the Orbs and can afford the Mod 2's--get them over the Mod 1's.

FLSquanders
Unregistered guest
I think it's really cool that you can upgrade the Mod1 to Mod2 at any time, or "downgrade" your Mod2 if you don't think you need it (and turn it into 2 Mod1s or I guess return 1).

firstentryintoHT
Unregistered guest
I'm setting my system up tonight as I just received the last of my 6.1 system today. I ordered Mod2's for the 3 fronts and Mod1's for the sides and back. I did order their subwoofer cable, wall mounts as the cost for the HOSS and KOSS stands just was a tad much for me to take. Perhaps when budget allows I'll order them.

I'll be running a Denon 2805, Denon 2910 on a Sony60"XS. I've read much about this company and willing to take a risk on something unheard, but from everything I've read these are awesome speakers. Nothing to lose other than time as I see it and Ethan has been great with the purchase and help with suggest speaker placement and cables.

Anonymous

I am not an audiophile, not in your league of expertise, but would really value input. We are
an older couple who wish to put in a home theatre sound system. We need wireless rear speakers.
We have a seperate system for music. Ethan, who has been great, suggested for our price range the Mod 1 with the upgraded center channel, as we are most interested in hearing clear dialogue. I am most concerned about the quality of wireless rear speakers, which I understand will need a receiver of some sort from Radio Shack. Thanks for you patience and input. Jim

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
Go for the Kenwood wireless transmitter if you absolutely have to go wireless. Sound quality should be OK for rears but nothing spectacular.

firstentryintoHT
Unregistered guest
Well so far so good, it's be a very large learning experience as for cabling, reading manuals, what to buy and such but so far for me it's been speaker placement, amazing how movement changes the whole "feel" of the system. The 6th speaker has really added depth (i'm not sure that's the right word but that's the feeling I get. Anyone else sense this?

Username: Cscinc

Louisville, KY

LOOKING FOR AN INFORMED OPINION on the MOD2 system for my new theater. I just built a new house with a theater room (15' X 20' with a 9' ceiling and three tier seating). I brought over my old speakers ( Definitve Technologies BP-8B's, center channel w/ 150w sub, and a 500w Sub) but I have the room wired for in-wall speakers. All speakers except the sub and center channel will have to be wall mounted high on the wall as that's where the wiring is stubbed out. The screen is 119" 16X9 and I am awaiting delivery of BenQ's new PE7700 HD projector. I will keep my Pioneer Elite VSX-36TX until I can afford to replace it with a 7.1 receiver. I am looking at several speakers. The ORB MOD2, BG Radia R-17i, RBH MC616, and RBH SI-760 are on the short list. My concern is that the MOD2's will sound like the Bose Acoustimass system, and I hate them. They sound tinny to me. Does anyone have any experience with them in a room of that size? The room will be almost exclusively used for movies and satelite TV with occasional music videos. I'm looking for that big theater sound, especially with movies like TOP GUN. I want to shake the whole room since all walls are insulated and double drywalled and I won't bother the rest of the house. I really like the Definitve subs, but from what I've been reading in this forum, I don't want to mix systems. Any help and/or opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
The Orbs sound 1000 times better than the Bose Acoustimass, so don't worry about that. They sound full, not tinny. There is a very long thread about Orb in the home theater section, I think in the speaker packages section.

CT

Post Number: 6
The nice thing about the orbs is that you can try them for 30 days. Set them up in your theater, break them in, and judge the sound for yourself. They are sure to sound very different from what you had before.

mooney
Unregistered guest
I currently have
* NHT SB-2(fronts)
* NHT SC-1 (center)
* no sub
* Pioneer 1014.

1. Would it make sense to switch to the 5.1 ORB setup? (I just need a change).

2. Get a HSU STF-1 sub and keep my HT?

80/20 - Music/Movies in a small/medium room.

I like to go smaller and the ORB looks nice, but I don't want to and sound quality from my NHTs.

Thanks.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us