Cambridge ?

Bronze Member
Username: Langner

Madison, South dakota US

Post Number: 14
is cambridge a could home stereo brand of speaker?

Bronze Member
Username: Jim_mcbob

Post Number: 67
Cambridge Sound Works? Good?

I've owned two different systems--an ensemble sub/sat, and a pair of higher-end Newton bookshelfs. Without seeming impolitic, I think they're garbage: Very shrill, fatiguing, crappy imaging/soundstaging. My experience is that CSW speakers "color" the music. I do not share the view that some slight coloration is a cardinal sin committed by speakermakers, but the coloration coming from my CSW speakers is FOR THE WORSE.

Others' opinions differ, of course. But I am currently in the process of replacing my CSW speakers. This says a lot, since I typically mate for life when it comes to purchasing audio equipment: I bought my NAD amp nearly 20 years ago with lawnmowing money; the tuner a year or two after that; I recently broke down and bought a NAD CD player, which I expect to have for at least ten years.

There are other similarly-priced speakers that outperform CSW. CSW, especially the Newton bookshelf series do offer nice finish options for the price. Good looks, indifferent sound. My advice: Shop around.

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 106
I will give advice on Cambridge Soundworks because I own some and infact im listening to them right now. Mine are a 4.1 system, about 5 years old, the FPS1000 model. I have posted numerous posts in this forum about advice on a new system i want because my surround system is very dated. I hope to get some diamond 9.1s the NAD C320BEE and an m-audio soundcard for my computer.
Now my verdict on my fps1000 system is a mixture of opinions. I would say for their utter size and rate power of 3.5w per satelite they are amazing. Overall the sound quality ins't bad for what they are but in comparison to whats out today, they are utter crap. The sound is cold and flat which is alright for some things but surround systems do not impress me anymore. I would HIGHLY advise you to get some bookshelf speakers simply because they are far far better in pratically every sense apart from they are room-consuming. Even if you go into a store and listen to some cheap 2 channel hi-fi you'll notice far better dyamics, soundstage and depth. I will assist you more if u want it, whats ure budget on the speakers or are u just looking around and wondering if the newton series and megaworks are any good?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
I should have added that I use my home HiFi exclusively for music, not HT.

Silver Member
Username: Stealth_c

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 157
I personally like them, but obviously opinions do differ. This is true of most speakers however. The best advice is to listen yourself and be the judge, and as Jim Bob said, shop around.

Username: Consumer

Post Number: 1
There is a Cambridge Audio that makes electronics, which were you referring to?

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 108
Good point actually lincoln lol! Cambridge audio are a decent brand, like all of should already know! Its lower end amplfiers like the A1 which are use only ideal really for the smaller of bookshelf speakers and low-end HT systems.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
Look, I dinnint want to be the one to point this out, but the initial post in this thread didn't give much to go on ("is cambridge a could home stereo brand of speaker?")

I ventured that, since this is a thread dedicated to speakers, the poster was inquiring about Cambridge Sound Works--hence my clear references to Cambridge Sound Works and CSW.

Way I see it, CSW should be so lucky to be associated with Cambridge Audio. (But Cambridge Audio kinda gets the shaft in this game...)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us