I need a warm receiver!

Treck
Unregistered guest
I'm looking at a H/K 130, NAD T743 and a Marantz 4400. I've listened to them all, but not side by side or with the same speakers. I need something warmth-sounding for my Bose speakers (I know you guys don't think they're any good, but they're good enough for me). Any advice?

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 264
Can you tell the difference between a warm receiver from one that isnt? If you can, just go ahead and pick out whichever one that strikes your fancy. Try to not overcomplicate a fun buying decision.

Since you've narrowed your search down to the three models above, which one impressed you the most?? Which had the best sound/quality/features combo??

If you can answer that question, the choice is obvious.

Treck
Unregistered guest
I know. But I think it's hard when you don't have them side by side...

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 266
The answer will never be black and white. Sometimes you have to go with what your gut impression is telling you.

Surely, one of those three models attracts you the most whether it be for a specific feature, or something entirely different?????

Sometimes it can be something as simple as having the best setup menu or on screen displays to break the tiebreaker.

Either that, or you can flip a coin if it's that close....'heh'

Treck
Unregistered guest
I would have flipped a coin if I had one with three sides...
Thanks for the advices anyway.

Treck
Unregistered guest
I would have flipped a coin if I had one with three sides...
Thanks for the advices anyway.

edster922
Unregistered guest
IMO all three of those receivers are really too good for Bose speakers, and I don't mean to be insulting or snobbish--- But I honestly don't think there'd be any audible difference between those 3 receivers versus a real cheap $150 Pioneer VSX-514 or something like that, which will make your Bose speakers sound about as good as they will ever be physically capable of, especially since you say they're good enough for you already.

Pioneer is known to be a maker of "warm" receivers, BTW.

Bronze Member
Username: Shahrukhd

Mumbai, Maharashtra India

Post Number: 28
They're all warm receivers. And pretty good too. But, if I had to narrow it down, I'd say the Marantz 4400. Especially in terms of value. I guess it's the cheapest of the three. It's also a super quiet amp. The NAD has been known to produce a hum.
When it comes to the HK... um... I'd still prefer the Marantz over it. (Petty things like no tone controls on the remote, a mirror front which is very liable to scratches, 5.1 as compared to the 4400's 6.1). But then, I'm nit-picking here. They're all good quality receivers. I agree with edster though. They won't really make a heaven n' hell difference with Bose.

Bronze Member
Username: Mystro

Post Number: 39
HK is warmer than Denon. I dont know about the others. HK is extremely conservative with their power ratings. Very strong amps.

Bronze Member
Username: Agimat

Post Number: 77
NAD is on the neutral side. Marantz is a warm receiver but HK is warmer.You can now flip a coin between Marantz and HK.

good luck

4400sRock!
Unregistered guest
Go with the 4400. I love mine, and I'm not a snob either. I have bose 901s mounted to the vault in my ceiling and the sound comes down bouncing off the vault. Sounds great. I have refurbished vintage Altec Lansing model 14 Loudspeakers on the floor and they sound great. I have to be careful not to blow out my windows. Sure, you can always hook up better speakers in the future if you want when you have the cash, but the 4400 will be harder and harder to find with time. Get one while you can!

Bronze Member
Username: Canuckinapickle

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 74
If you think you'll upgrade your speakers int he near future I say go with the NAD. Otherwise I agree with the fellow who's suggesting the cheaper Pioneer option. It really won't make much of an audible difference on your small bose speakers. If you want something you can grow into later get the NAD. :-)

I.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us