More on Cambridge Soundworks, and size

Username: Jasperm

Post Number: 3
Hi -

Like previous poster, I have similar budget (maybe $700 max), and was seriously considering Cambridge Newton series - putting most of my money into front/center, getting very low end side-surround for now, and upgrading those down the road. Don't have rooom for rear surround, so that's not in the picture.

Also - apart from brand, in a room of 350 sq feet - a bit under 3000 cu ft, is it reasonable to use a 10" subwoofer, and front speakers with two 4" drivers plus tweeter (eg MC300)? They are described as being for small/medium sized room, but our livingroom is more like medium/large.

Could I get away with 8" sub, or is that too small? HOw do you determine speaker requirements in terms of room size?

Thanks,
Michael

Silver Member
Username: Stealth_c

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 152
Realistically, 3 MC300s with a pair of surrounds ought to be sufficient to fill a room of that size. The sub matters more IMHO, but, if you go the ebay route, which will still net you the warranty, you can pick up 3 mc300's (125 a pop), a pair of S200 surrounds (135 a pair), and a 12" CSW sub (180). Total is 690.

Bronze Member
Username: Jim_mcbob

Post Number: 63
Buy CSW now and you'll also be replacing the fronts AND centers in the not-too-distant future. I hate to seem strident here, but I want to help as many people as possible avoid the mistake I made when I purchased CSW speakers. Four Paradigm Atoms ($340 street price) (http://www.audioreview.com/PRD_120342_1594crx.aspx), a <$200 sub, and a Paradigm CC center speaker, for instance, will blow away a similarly priced CSW system. You can upgrade the fronts and get cheap-o surrounds, but I'm sure a lot of folks here would have some reservations about matching and balance.

Look, point is, it's your money, and if you like the CSW sound, then your search ends there. But I think your $700 would be better spent elsewhere. One option (which some hereabouts view as heretical): Start with decent fronts and build your surround system piecemeal. Ascend Acoustics CBM-170s paired with an HSU 1 sub ($629) gets raves from a lot of folks.

Have also heard good things about this system--but only as an alternative to the Bose approach (little speakers move less air): http://www.hsustore.com/vt12.html

Silver Member
Username: Stealth_c

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 153
Jim Bob makes a valid point. Shop around some. Paradigm is supposed to be excellent for the money, etc. For cheaper, Onkyo makes some pretty good packages you might have an interest in. Klipsch and Energy have their fans at this price point as well. You may find something you like better than CSW, you may not. In the end you will be better off for it.

Bronze Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 38
I agree with Jim, it's better to have good quality fronts and subwoofer NOW rather than mediocre quality fronts and sub that you'll want to upgrade down the road anyway.

You're on the right track though with the surrounds---unless you plan on doing surround music (SACD & DVD-A) you're fine going cheap on them for HT and TV.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 147
I agree as well... but honestly... the NEWTON and NEWTON only are incredible speakers for the money.

Rusin
Unregistered guest
I agree with focsuing on the fronts and with the CSW Newton line as the best alternative. The MC 300's at $125 from the CSW ebay site are an outstanding value. You might consider getting three of those with an SVS PB10 sub (SVS is an A+ web based sub manufacturer) for $429.00 plus shipping. You'll be close to your price range with outstanding sound for the money.

Incidentally, I have found the CSW Newtons to be more on the laid back side and not at all strident. Check the CSW site on this message board for more information. One of their engineers responds pretty regularly over there.

Another option in your price range is the used market. I am a big fan of ADS speakers that can be found on ebay and audiogon.

Bronze Member
Username: Jim_mcbob

Post Number: 65
I strongly disagree that CSW Newton's are the best alternative to 'real' speakers. I have Newton M-80s and the word that most often comes to mind is "shrill." (Well, that and "astonishingly cheaply made drivers"). I find the M-50 and M-60 very much lacking in their ability to recreate dynamics--which sorta rules them out as home theater speakers. (My old pair of Realistic Minumus 7s that I purchased on sale for $60/pair, pointed out the shortcomings of the M-50. After this little exercise, my friend returned the M-50s.)

I know I may sound like a zealot when it comes to warning people off CSW speakers, but that only underscores my distaste for their products.

Shop around.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 148
hmmm... I have a pair of magnepans, and I never minded the sound of the CSW newtons. However, they werent being driven by mass market electronics either. (rotel)

Still... one of my top choices in the budget category is paradigm. They arent for everyone though. Some people find them to be bright. I have a pair for casual listening, and really like them.

BTW... the ascends are outstanding, truly FABULOUS with a decent sub. They truly go all out for a great sound at a great price. Mids are beyond belief, as this speaker puts out larger than life sound. Highs are also outstanding as well. The bass response is really limited though, so a sub isnt an option.

Gavin
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us