Polk Audio Speakers

Username: Alphabet

Cape TownSouth Africa

Post Number: 10
Would anyone recommend using either Polk Adio M60 or RTI10's with a Yamaha RX-V450 AV Receiver?

edster922
Unregistered guest
Polks are known to be warm, Yamahas bright = should be a good match!

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 419
I own the Polk Rti8 speakers and they barely get going with full power from an HK AVR430. Unless you plan on upgrading to a 2ch power amp down the road I'd go with the Rti8s, or even the Rti6s on stands. The mids are more detailed with the added midrange driver not present in the 10s. I wouldn't recommend the M60s, especially over the Rti line.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 386
Abe,

It depends on your listening preferences. I personally dont like the Polk line, but what I look for in a speaker might be different from your tastes..

Only Mike
Unregistered guest
I've got a set of Polks (7.1) and they sound excellent. Very clear. I don't find them too warm. I'm using a Harman Kardon AVR635 and it blows the room up! I compared them at the store against Bose, Infinity etc and they sounded the clearest, especially for voice range.
mz

Bronze Member
Username: Jet2001

Post Number: 12
I recommend the RTi line over the Montiors.

edster922
Unregistered guest
> I recommend the RTi line over the Montiors.

Absolutely!

Of course I'd recommend the LSi line over the RTi line too, but then we're talking $$$$ versus $$$ (RTi) versus $$ (Monitors). The R-series would be $.

Bronze Member
Username: Alphabet

Cape TownSouth Africa

Post Number: 11
Thanks for the responses guys!

As a matter of interest I had the opportunity to audition a pair of Mordaunt-Short Avant 908's this past weekend and I was very impressed with these!

In the same price range I have now listened to Cerwin Vega V-12Fs, Monitor Audio B4 & B6, B&W 309, a locally made speaker called Sonor Audion HT-M, Kef Q6, some Mission speakers and the MS speakers did stand out from the rest in clarity, styling and bass response.

I know that an opinion is like an "&hole" - we each have one, so I can't say that these are the best in this price range, but I was impressed.

Cheers

LongTimeWolf
Unregistered guest
how about the Paradigm Monitor 7 or 5?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Abe...buy what sounds good to you. We can give our "smelly" ;) opinions, but you are the one who has to live with the speakers. Congrats and have fun!

Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1
Mordaunt Short is excellent, I have a pair of MS09s that still sound very good after over 7 years and they're tiny, about the size of Paradigm Atoms.

You may also want to compare MS prices with accessories4less.com I think they're very competitive.

Username: Gas_wyoming

Cody, WY

Post Number: 2
I really love this message board...I've learned a tremendous amount about Audio systems from you folks in the past 36 hours...I've learned a good bit about you frequent posters also! Some is amusing, some is just downright nasty at times. I hope to be a frequent 'poster' and contribute at some point.

This really is a Polk question, but bear with me while I explain...it's really quite amusing a couple of weeks later ;-) My wife just blew up our Sony STR DE695 receiver that came from Best Buy with a set of Klipsh Quintet II speakers and the KSW-10 sub ($900 for all sounded good at the time). This is our 'living room system'...mainly for listening to Contemporary Christian, lots of Jazz, some Rock, Classical, 80's Pop, Bluegrass, etc. I guess the "Protect" warning didn't mean much to her...the sub wasn't working until she turned it up, so she just kept turning it up! A "small puff of smoke" later, I have a blown Klipsh center and a blown receiver. Or do I??? Options/Opinions?

I tested the sub on my Onkyo HT receiver (TX DS656) and it still works well. The center mid drivers make no sound (fortunately it's still under warranty), but the tweeter still works. I've decided to bring the Onkyo up to the living room to run the Klipsch system.

OK, now to the real questions for the Polk people. After reading the posts on this site, considering tech specs, etc., I decided to upgrade the HT receiver to a Denon 3805. It's on it's way to the "ranch" as I write. My speaker system for the HT is all Polk...2 RT1000i's (each with powered subs built in-about 5 years old), CS300 center, and 2 FX500's as surrounds. I "believe" I need to match the sound characteristics of this 5 year old system with a new sub and some rear surrounds. What newer Polk models will match? Do I really need the sub or is my annual bonus finally burning a hole in my wallet? I read a review for the tower speakers saying they should be matched with a separate sub because they 'roll off?' at around 70 hz. True? Will the amp in this new receiver make any difference? Is the Denon a good match for the Polk speaker system? What speaker do you recommend for the rear channels to drive the 7.1 features of this new receiver?

Thanks in advance for your 'informed' responses...the eduction is greatly appreciated.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Timbre matching is really only important for your fronts and center. The surrounds could be different and you probably won't hear any difference at all. The sub can be all together different. Is a sub important? with your fronts, probably not...but let your ears make that choice for you.

Rear speakers-depends on what you want. I'm happy with the RTi line that Polk has out now. You may want to check those out.

I haven't had any experience with Denon, so I'll let another person address that question.

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 129
It depends on what you are using your multichannel system for. If you intend to listen to multichannel music Timbre matching is important all the way around. So if you intend to listen to SACD, DVD-A, or any of the new DVD music formats coming up try to timbre match all of your speakers (except the sub).

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Arthur is correct, especially when it comes to DVD music, but finding an exact timbre match for his RT1000i's may be difficult and the reward for finding such a speaker at this time may be minimal to most people's ears. Polkaudio.com couldn't help me, but here's what they had to say and there are some recommendations at the bottom...http://www.polkaudio.com/home/products.php?category=3&speaker=21

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Ok, it only took a little more research on the polk site to find what you need. The link above will give you all the floorstanding models that will work for you, this link http://www.polkaudio.com/home/products.php?recent=1&category=4 will give you the bookshelf speakers. You may have a hard time finding these, but if your goal is to timbre match everything, you have what you need to start looking.

Username: Gas_wyoming

Cody, WY

Post Number: 5
Thanks for the recommendations. I agree that it was a little hard to find on Polk's site...current vs recent products. I can see the ones that visually match the drivers in the RT1000i's. I'll probably be looking for those on eBay. Again, thanks for the suggestions.

Any comments on the blown Sony receiver??? Since I'm new to this message board, I'm not totally familiar with protocol...should I post this on the receiver page and wait for an answer?

Bronze Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 12
Gas,

I would use your wife's accident as a good excuse to upgrade to a Pioneer 1014 ($400 from jandr.com) which will be a massive improvement over the Sony---about the only things Sony still excels at these days are its tube TVs, the rest is just living off its big name.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Smoke coming from any electronics product is no good. If you were extremely happy with that receiver, you could take it in for repairs. If not, Edster offers good advice.

*shameless Sony plug*

IF, you were happy with the Sony, they have come out with an ES line that is nice. I currently own the STR-DE835 and have been happy with it for 5 years now and am looking to upgrade to an ES product. But then there's guys like Edster who gives good advice and dislikes Sony, so I may have to audition a few other products to see if I like what they have to offer. That's the important thing, go listen and play with stuff for yourself...if it fits your tastes and budget, then buy it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us