Subwoofer for my B&W705

OZ oz OZ
Unregistered guest
Looking for a sub for my B&W705 in Australia. Short listed - Velodyne spl 10(AUD$1500), Paradigm pw2200(AUD$1600), and B&W pv1(AUD$1800) or B&W700 (AUD$2000) sub. What do you think and experience these subs if you owned one? or any other suggestion of subs around AUD$1500-AUD$2000. Thanks for your advice.

OZ oz OZ
Unregistered guest
No one at all ?????

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 1537
Not too many are familiar with subs in this price range. Your the one who's going to be listening - can you audition any on your list?

G_Trump
Unregistered guest
There are a lot of good products from a lot of great designers at those dollars. Please give me as much detail as possible about the rest of your system, room and maybe I can help out a bit.

Cheers

OZ oz OZ
Unregistered guest
thanks my rantz and g_trump, I've got rotel 1068 and 1075, b&w705 front and htm7 center, no rear yet.

Username: Briz_vegas

BrisbaneAustralia

Post Number: 1
I also have the 705 & htm7 up front. I auditioned the B&W PV1, ASW 675 and the Quad L a few months back. They all sounded fine in the showroom but it was a different story when it came to a home audition. My Quad dealer kindly allowed me to take the sub home for the weekend and I found that in my room (4m x 6.5m - semi open plan) the bass just vanished. I may check out the ASW750 as a option next year if finances allow.

$2K for the ASW700 is a good price as RRP in oz is $3K.

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 119
I would say stick with the B&W sub. I have owned the Paradigm PW2200 and it is not subtle at all. It overwhelmed my system. I currently own the Paradigm PW2100 and it works beautifully. But I think that a B&W in the same line as your speakers is appropriate.

Silver Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 869
Briz vegas: regarding the "disappearing bass" - did you check the "phase switch" on the back of the sub - assuming that this particular sub has one? That can, depending on the room and your speaker set-up, make a huge difference. I'd agree with Arthur Kyle - go with the B&W.

I'm using a 10" (25cm) Mordaunt-Short sub with my B&W 705s - and the matching is wonderful. Don't know if this (British) sub is available where you are?

The only "down side" to the Mordaunt-Short is the cabinet. When I bought it (Online) the pictures and descriptions mentioned cherry wood finish. Aha! When the sub arrived, my wife and I discovered the cherry "finish" is, indeed, vinyl. Good vinyl, but nevertheless vinyl. We kept the sub, but still wish I'd read the company material more closely! Compared to the 705's beautiful cabinetry, the M-S looks a bit tired, I'm afraid.

OZ oz OZ
Unregistered guest
I owned MS909 before, I got it for AUD$1k, didnt like it, it doesnt go deep enought, so I return it, and now still seeking for one.

Username: Briz_vegas

BrisbaneAustralia

Post Number: 2
Good suggestion thanks Larry. I tried flipping the phase switch, shifting the sub into various locations around the room, swapping between speaker level and LFE out connections etc etc. With the sub turned up to 3/4 of maximum volume it still sounded less than impressive for movies. I think the lesson I learnt is not to consider buying a sub until you hear it in your own home.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us