Looking for a Good sub $1000 7.1 receiver with 3 component inputs

Username: Whootmanbowl

Post Number: 1
I am currently building a home theater and am having difficulty finding a good 7.1 receiver with 3 component inputs for less than a $1000. I've looked at Yamaha RX-Z series but it's about a grand too much. Can anyone suggest something? Thanks to all who respond!!

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Post Number: 205
Chris: I haven't seen ONE midfi receiver with 3 component inputs. The only products I've seen it on are the Yamaha RX-Z1, the awesome Parasound/Halo C1 (not even on the C2!!!), and the B&K 507. All of these receivers are $2.5K+ and are on the higher end.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Post Number: 310
Chris:

The only one I know that is close is the NAD 763, which can be had for about $1100 and but is a 6.1 receiver (which is good enough for most people, but I don't know your situation). However, it does have three component video inputs, as does the recently discontinued 762. Now, you can still get a factory refurb 762 for $799 or a demo unit for $899 here:

http://www.spearitsound.com/nad/nadspec.htm

Of course, at this price, you could add a monoblock amp for ~$250 to this receiver and have 7.1 sound for just a shade over $1K. And, it was named Product of the Year last year by The Perfect Vision, so you know it is a rather special receiver.

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Post Number: 206
Hawk: wow! I'm going to have to look at NAD seriously for my next purchase, which may be sooner than I expected! I'm impressed. I'm looking, possibly, for separates. (My finances will depend on how much money is left after the pool is built.)

Silver Member

Post Number: 321
geekboy:

Ah, yes--the pool. Well, it's always something, isn't it? LOL ! ! ! I know I waited almost a year to get my new receiver because I built a new deck and landscaped the backyard, so I do understand!

The things we do for love . . .

Username: Whootmanbowl

Post Number: 1
Hawk,

Thanks for the input. I've looked over the NAD line, and the audio portion of their receivers is pretty good. I have a problem though with the lack of support for Video-up conversion. In the theater I am building right now, I was planning on having a few different video inputs in use, specifically S-Video, composite and component collectively. I read the manual for the NAD T773, their top of the line right now, and it shows that they don't support video-up and additionally if you want to setup the receiver with it's on screen display, you can't use the component video output to display the menu?!?!? I am really interested in Video-up conversion because of the wiring simplicity it offers. (It makes it a whole lot easier when wiring to a ceiling mounted projector to have only one set of cables)

Anyhow, I think I came across a solution, which overall might be a downgrade from an audiophile's point of view. I've done a little searching on the web and I found a Component/S-Video/Composite/Digital Audio electronic switch box that I can use with the Yamaha RX-V2400, http://www.digitalconnection.com/Products/Video/1154.asp. The switchbox should make connecting an XBOX and HDTV (SAT or Cable) through one receiver component input possible. I know the receiver is a little bright and all, but I am planning on using PSBs all the way around for speakers so I think I can get away with it. Also the cash saved in buying the Yamaha opens up the door for a Universal DVD/DVD-A/SACD player. I just hope I'm not making a big audio mistake...

Thanks again for your input before.

Chris

Silver Member

Post Number: 341
Chris:

I have a Denon 3803 and it was the first with video up-conversion as I remember. Now there are many claims about it, but I know with my Denon, it wasn't a true up-conversion as the signal bandwidth coming from the composite or S-video connections remained very narrow (8 Mhz)--I could just access them through the component video outputs of the receiver. but, in the end, I bypassed the receiver anyways as I believe the direct connection of the video signal source to the monitor was the way to go. So, even though I consider myself an "audiophile" I am not enamoured by passing a video signal through an audio receiver. Illogical and kind of silly anyways.

As for the video switchbox, I not only endorse the solution, I have recommended that unit and it predecessor from Digital Connection a number of times before. It is pretty good gear and I expect it will do the trick for you.

Good luck!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us