Is there a difference between an amp and receiver???

Unregistered guest
i have a receiver and when i plug in my speakers to it, the receiver shuts off after a few minutes...even with low volumes. i wasnt sure if i should get an amp, or do i need and amp, or is it simply my receiver. dont know what to do, if anyone can help. Thank you

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 146
it sounds like your reciever is either broke, or you're pushing it way too hard and triggering it's circuit breakers.

the only difference between an amp and a reciever is that an amp is only for powering speakers. a reciever is really an amp, tuner and pre-amp all in one. an amp + preamp in one is called an integrated amp.

for the same power rating... amps and recievers should sound about the same provided they're both made with similar amp stages. sometimes recievers cut corners to include preamp and tuners at competitive prices though.

Username: Martin12345

Ostrava, Czech republic

Post Number: 1
I think receivers are more popular so they are more expensive. To get the same sound You must often pay twice more in receiver then in amp !
I buy old tuner for 15$ and a good amp and I'm very satisfied :o)

Username: Bonesnipe

USA THE BEST

Post Number: 1
THE FIRST THING YOU SHOULD DO IS CHECK YOUR SPEAKER CONNECTIONS ON THE REAR PANEL OF THE REC. IF YOU USE BARE WIRE TO CONNECT YOUR SPEAKERS TO THE REC. YOU MAY HAVE A STRAND OF THAT COPPER WIRE TOUCHING THE REAR PANEL. LOOK FOR EVEN THE SMALLEST STRAND OF WIRE TOUCHING. ANY CONTACT FROM THE SPEAKER WIRE TO THE METAL WILL CAUSE YOUR REC. TO KICK INTO PROTECT MODE.
TRY THAT FIRST. ALWAYS START WITH THE SIMPLE SOLUTIONS FIRST BEFORE YOU GO OFF AND START RE-TOOLING YOUR SYSTEM WITH NEW GEAR.
LUCK!

Unregistered guest
okay thank you very much for the help...everything is good now thanks for everyones input...i think it was the speaker wire that caused it to short or so....

Unregistered guest
yo quiero comprar un recibidor pero nose cual es el mejor ni sabria como instalarlo si alquien me pudiera ayudar en esto .
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us