Dobly digital plus and Arcam

Username: Rushwj

Post Number: 9
First off, does anyone know anything more about dolby digital plus (how much better will it really be to the typical 5.1 to 7.1 home theater)? More importantly, does anyone know if upgradeable receivers such as Arcams could be upgraded to this when it comes out? I'm trying to decide on receivers in the next year and am wondering if this will be an issue shortly thereafter as i plan on getting an HD-DVD player within a year of them coming out. Thanks for any input.

Post Number: 10
C'mon, somebody's got to have a thought on this topic! Many of us are buying new receivers over the next year or so and will be faced with this same issue.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 438
Dolby digital'plus' is nothing but marketing hype. Next year, they'll come out with DD 'super-plus', and it will still mean nothing.

Bronze Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 85
Agreed. If you get Dolby Digital and DTS decoding then you'll have what you need. Will you be getting an HD-DVD player or a Blu-Ray player. The next great format war looms and we will all be the loser's just like with DVD-A and SACD.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Unsure of which format i'm going to go with, i'm just planning on waiting for about a year after they come out and see what's developing. you're absolutely right, we will all be the losers in the end when there's these format wars. i suspect blu-ray will lose as it would require the movie industry to pay more for all new equipment, whereas with hd-dvd they can simply "upgrade" their" existing equipment. it doesn't matter which is better, especially better for the consumer, hollywood only cares about the bottom line with situations like this. thanks for your input.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 441
I look forward to HD-DVDs, but I wont jump into the market early.

I'll wait until the it's the standard, and the DVDs are easily found in stores. By then, player prices will fall far enough to make it worth the purchase. Im not willing to pay $1,000+ for a player that will be selling for a couple hundred dollars two years later.

I paid $500 dollars for my first DVD player and it was only 2 channel stereo......Heh
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us