Short cables will not reach my center speaker

Bronze Member
Username: Dpriwin

Post Number: 41
The short story: the guy who cabled my new home left me with a very short run to where the center speaker will go. I am forced to "add" to the existing cable. PLEASE, what is the correct way to do that?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3471

If he knew the correct length and simply didn't run enough cable, the correct way is to call him back to run new cable. Otherwise just use the appropriate size wire nuts to splice the cables together. Wire nuts are available at any hardware store.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 356
Either with a soldering iron and heat shrink (cleaner), or with a crimp-on connector of some sorts (easier).

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
Jan and Peter, thanks so much for your explanation. Jan, you are right that I should demand that he run the right length of cable. I think it may not be possible though. If not, I will try your suggestions. Will there be a sound degradation noticeable to non-audiophiles?

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 359
Will there be a sound degradation noticeable to non-audiophiles?

No, it's fine. I've used plain wire nuts before to extend a wire temporarily (the kind you use in standard electrical work). Sometimes temporarily ends up being a long time. If I know when I'm doing it that it's going to be a long time, I usually use a soldering iron and heat shrink to make a cleaner job and avoid oxydation. But then I have the stuff lying around. I wouldn't go buy it just for that.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3480

The difference between a solder connection and a wire nut is, to me, a matter of the stress the cable might see. Either method is considered a "gas tight" connection meaning after a number of years you can break either connection and the two ends of cable will not be oxidized as they would with just a taped connection. A solder connection places not only a break in the cable but another material (the tinned solder) in the connection. The wire nut is metal to metal. The solder connection is less likely to come apart when (severely) stressed. The wire nut is fast, good and will hold under most conditions with the same quality of connection as a solder joint. Both are acceptable under any city codes I'm aware of for the situation you face. I would be suprised if anyone could hear the difference between either connection when it is first made. Since a "cold solder" joint is the most common way for most people to solder and the most common reason for solder joints failing, if I was not certain I knew how to make a professional solder joint, I'd go with the wire nuts. Wire nuts also mean you don't have to drag out several items to make a simple fix. That, of course, means you don't have to put away several items for a simple fix.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
Thank you very much. Your comments are really appreciated. I will use wire nuts.

Daniel

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 513
I agree with the other comments......

If your 'installer' supplied the improper cable, I'd demand he return to run the correct length.

If you bought the wrong length cable, and he simply couldnt make the connection, I'd return the cable and buy the correct length

Me personally???? I'd never add lenth to a cable. I'd much rather buy the correct length in the first place. If I didnt have the correct lenth, It would go into the basement in my 'leftover cable' box....

Why do I even save those things??? As if I've ever used my old cables...sheesh!! Someday, I may need them???

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 222
I agree with Paul. Use the right length, I too would never add length.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 367
Paul and Arthur,

His house is cabled and it might not be easy to change the cable by now. I guess that's a question we could ask.

You don't say why you would never add length. I suspect it would simply disturb you for no other reason than a wish to get it all just right. Perhaps Daniel doesn't care as much about these details. However if you think that adding length will be audible, then perhaps you should say so.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
Paul and Arthur, although I agree in principle with your comments, Peter Galbraith is right. This is a brand new house cabled from one end to the other. My fault, but when the cables were extended to the location of the center speaker I was not there and did not notice afterwards. Sad, but it is impossible now to remove the existing cable and run the right length in. It would require so much physical effort, and money, that it is not worth it. I am not an audiophile, and hence my question about sound degradation. I will live with a patched up cable which will not be visible.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 374
Daniel,

Is the wire coming out through a hole in the wall or something? If so, a solution might be to install a plate with banana plug connectors on the wall using your existing wires. You'd then "extend" by plugging new short lengths into this plate with banana plugs. Just an idea...

Peter

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 225
Good idea Peter. I like that. You were at least partly right as to why I would not add length. Unless you have fussy ears, which I do, you will not likely hear a difference. Hey it's home theater, and custom install, at least this mistake you know about most folks have no idea what the custom installers have done to make ends meet. Pun intended.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
Peter, I really like that idea, and will implement it.

Arthur, sadly, you are right. I know of this mistake, but I am sure there are many others they covered up and I will never get to see. Hopefully, I will not hear the difference.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3523

Peter - I have no objection to your suggestion on the basis of looks. But the connection will be broken at some point nop matter what unless a completely new cable is installed. With bananas the amount of possible oxidation or dissimilar material points will increase several fold. Bananas are meant as a temporary connection only. In fact that is their strong suit. Being a temporary connection, they are not intended and will not be a gas tight connection. Over and above that concern, the amount of contact area is dramatically reduced with a banana compared to wire nuts or soldering. For the longevity of the connection, I would choose the wire nuts or soldering for the reasons I stated above. As the bananas begin to oxidize, and the resistance of the connection increases, the effects of their connection point will begin to be heard.

I am not making this case to sway the decision one way or the other as all connections have their advantages and disadvantages. It is meant only as information meant to illustrate those points. Daniel can certainly make the decision based on a wealth of information and suggestions.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us