NAD T-773 Vs. Denon 3805 w/ MA S6, S1, SLCR

Username: Tchartrey

Post Number: 4
I just bought MA 5.1 setup with Silver 6, S1's, and the SLCR. I demoed them with a Denon receiver I think the 5805. I need help selecting receiver use about 60/40 more towards home theater. Anyone have this setup? What are some good cables reasonably priced? Any subwoofer recomendation for around $500 with tight punchy bass? The NAD will obviously be better for music but how does it preform in a hometheater setup? Any help will be appreciated.

Tony

Username: Salrmrcrey

CA USA

Post Number: 10
Hey Tony.

I have the MA's Silver's as well. DO NOT pair them up with a Denon receiver of any kind. The sound doesn't match up. There are several others on this board that will back me up.
Try a Pioneer Elite, NAD, HK, or Integra. I have the later, and the sound is amazing. My first choice would be the Elite, but at the time, no dealers carried Elite's in the area.
Denon has great receivers, but not for MA's.

I also have the MA sub. It's under your price range, and has great bass. Enough for what I want.

Are you speaking about wires and not cables for the speakers? I went ahead and bought Monster only because of the great deal my dealer offered after I wanted to purchase the MA's. Go with at least a 16 guage wire whatever you do.

Good luck with your choice and let us know what you picked out.

Cheers,

Post Number: 7
Thanks for the advice. I originally auditioned the MA with a Denon receiver and It sounded pretty good. The Klipch in the same room with the same receiver was terrible. I was speaking of cables to hook up at least the front s6. Unless there is something you recommend. I am going with 12 guage min for all speakers. I haven't heard any pioneer or H/K's with MA but I am a little worried because the Bronze MA sounded a little to warm with the Denon so I am not sure how the others will sound with the silvers which are IMO a much more detailed and neutral speaker. I am looking seriously at a NAD T-773 but all the popping posting have me a little worried. I do like a warmer more laid back sound though. Please advise. Thanks again.

Tony

Post Number: 8
The bronze were more muddy than warm. Sorry to follow my own post.

Silver Member
Username: Falp

Portugal

Post Number: 138
I would say a Marantz 7500/8500, or the usual suspects from NAD, Rotel, Arcam to match the MA Silvers, not the Denon, even being a very good amp...

Bronze Member
Username: Bigfan

Post Number: 88
I have the same spkr setup (except S8 instead of S1). I use it w/an NAD 773 and am very happy with it. Tremendous for music. Very good for home theater. My only issues w/the NAD - and it's my first surround receiver, so I don't have much basis for comparison - are: 1. some hiss from the tweeters in 5.1; generally are inaudible unless i put my ear w/in 6 inches of speaker, or, rarely, from my seat during very silent parts of movies; amd 2. bad results playing 2 channel music thru pro logic (slightly better via EARS, NAD's own format); maybe this is the case w/all AVRs, I don't know, but as a result I keep music in stereo all the time. Still haven't ventured into DVD-A/SACD, but plan to eventually.

Bronze Member
Username: Bigfan

Post Number: 89
I have the same spkr setup (except S8 instead of S6). I use it w/an NAD 773 and am very happy with it. Tremendous for music. Very good for home theater. My only issues w/the NAD - and it's my first surround receiver, so I don't have much basis for comparison - are: 1. some hiss from the tweeters in 5.1; generally are inaudible unless i put my ear w/in 6 inches of speaker, or, rarely, from my seat during very silent parts of movies; amd 2. bad results playing 2 channel music thru pro logic (slightly better via EARS, NAD's own format); maybe this is the case w/all AVRs, I don't know, but as a result I keep music in stereo all the time. Still haven't ventured into DVD-A/SACD, but plan to eventually.

Bronze Member
Username: Mitchbd

Post Number: 78
Tony;

I have a NAD 773 - NO problems. Buy from an authorized dealer, and they'll fully support you IF there are any problems. Also - ensure you get a NIB version 2. Have fun!

Mark AUS
Unregistered guest
It all depends on perspective. NAD does excellent audio products that can do HT. I own a NAD 773 and love the warmth and detail of the music through a B&W 600s3 speaker system. It does a splendid job on HT but that is not my primary purpose it is an added bonus. There are probably better HT only receivers out there particularly from Denon but having owned a Denon I was very disappointed in its music ability. Technically HT is easier to produce than pure stereo imaging due to the compressed soundtracks and loud sound effects through multiple drivers.

Bronze Member
Username: Xsound

Myrtle Beach, SC United States

Post Number: 49
I am in the process of buying the MA silver series piece by piece. For a receiver I recommend the Pioneer Elite line. I bought the vsx-54 tx from elegantaudiovideo.com for a great deal. You get the warranty as well. The sound is a great match. The 54 is a great receiver, though I must admit that I wanted the 56 for the firewire and usb connectivity for multi-channel audio (SACD and DVD-a), I just didn't have the $1k to buy it.

The 54 is great for movies and music. THX certified for movies, AIR Studios tuned for music. Plenty of power, the remote is very user friendly.

PLUS... You get instructions in the manual for bi-amping the front speakers. It's very simple to do, and Pioneer obviously had this in mind in designing the receiver. I am bi-amping my MA 700 golds, and not only has it improved the sound and power, but I got a 10% raise at work, and my wife suddenly finds me irresistable. Just coincidence? I don't think so. Ok so that was a just a little humor, but bi-amping with the 54 is a piece of cake.

Pioneers MCACC is a breeze to use, and according to some of the reviews I have seen is the more accurate of the automatic eq set-ups. Bass management features are not as extensive as on some receivers (such as some H/K).

Just one person spreading the joy, to borrow someone's short-hand YMMV.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us