SVS vs HSU

Spaz
Unregistered guest
I am narrowed down to HSU or SVS. Anyone have an opinion on whih has the best design- HSU box vs SVS cylander? I don't care about how it looks, I am 90% HT 10% music, looking to spend 600 or so.
Thanks,
spaz

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 123
any HSU sub i've seen has been cylindrical shaped too.

never heard of SVS, but have heard HSU mentioned countless times in many different reviews. if nothing else, HSU has a proven track record of sounding great in the bass region. HSU is better than MOST subs from everything i've read. that isn't shabby.

velodyne is the next biggest name that i've seen get multiple thumbs up in subwoofer reviews and sidenotes so far.

spaz
Unregistered guest
I am talking about the enclosure that houses the speaker, not the speaker itself. All of the HSUs are in a 'cube' (kind of like an end table) while SVS prefers to have there speaker in a cylander or tube (they do make the cube style as well; but say repeatedly on their website that the cylander is better)
I am under the impression that both make a great product, just want to see if there are advantages (other than asthetics) to either design.

Username: Kkt

California

Post Number: 5
SVS seems to play deeper, but Hsu blends in better for music. Both are excellent subs for the $. I like the HSU a little better because 50% of my listening is music. I have the HSU VTF3 MKII, and I am very happy with it. I have the volume barely up 1/3 of the dial at 9 o'clock, and the Hsu shakes my walls.

California

Post Number: 6
By the way, Hsu TN 1220 is a cylinder shaped sub. If I remember correctly, Dr. Hsu indicated from an interview that he did years ago that the cylinder design is more efficient and cheaper to make. I believe SVS indicated something similar to what Dr. Hsu said on SVS website.

spaz
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the info Kevin,
I have been leaning towards the HSU myself. While I am more HT than music, I like the idea of the HSU blending w/ music better.
How much difference do you think it makes to go to the VTF 3 MKII (vs the VTF 2 MKII)? I know the VTF3 will drop down lower; how often does this matter?

California

Post Number: 7
I heard the VTF2 version I. It's impressive for its small size. I have not heard VTF MK2, but it should be stronger than the version I. If you can spring for the VTF3, then I'd get the VTF3. It's bigger, louder and play lower to 18 hz. At least you won't have to wonder later on, what if I got the VTF3? Some of the movies like Lord of the Rings and Master and Commander has bass below 20hz. You won't hear the bass below 20 hz, but you definitely feel the rumbles.

I think you'll be happy with either Hsu or SVS.

edster922
Unregistered guest
Spaz,

You might find this long detailed comparison helpful:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=190398

I haven't decided myself, am looking at the $300 Hsu STF-1 versus the $429 SVS PB10.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us