Optimum Speaker Frequency Response

Anonymous

Hi,

Can you tell me what is the Optimum or Best Speaker Frequency Response.... Is 70Hz - 50Khz a good one for a Home Theatre Speaker System...

thanks

Silver Member
Username: Stealth_c

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 169
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/products/articles/131062.html

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3503

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/130011.html

Anonymous

I went thru that links but don't know if the Frequency I've given is good enough for good sound reproduction... Thanks for your time...

Silver Member

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 170
Without the amplitude tolerance for the response, you are basically giving us 0 information. The speaker could well not have any useable response below 150Hz. Have you tried listening to the speaker in question?

Anonymous

I'm not sure about the Amplitude Tolerance... I'm pretty new to this subject... But please find below the specification give for the speakers... Hope it might give some info to advice...

Type: 2 Way Bass-reflex
Impedance: 8 Ohm
Maximum input power: 100 W
Output sound pressure level: 76 dB/W/m
Frequency response: 70 Hz--50 kHz
Crossover frequency: 4.5 kHz

Thanks again... Appreciate your time and reply...

Silver Member

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 173
I would probably pass; if they cant doctor up better numbers thats pretty bad...

Anonymous

You say the specs are doctored and its bad and not worth going ahead...

Thanks Again...

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3506

If these two specs are honest:

"Maximum input power: 100 W
Output sound pressure level: 76 dB/W/m"

This, then, is a speaker that is probably not going to do well in a home theater situation where dynamics and occasional high volume is required.

If the speaker can only produce the 76dB/W/m, you have a speaker that is about 10dB below the lowest average speaker. To make up that 10dB in volume will require 10 times as much power be put into the speaker. That will reduce a 100 watt amp to the level of a 10 watt amp on most other speakers. If maximum input is suggested to be no more than 100 watts, you are then treading very tenuous ground with that speaker.

If those two measurements are the most hopeful situation the speaker can tolerate, I would easily pass this by on the basis of specs. Paper specs are only a small portion of the story of how a speaker sounds. If the speaker is demonstrated to sound good enough to satisfy your needs, you could still consider it based on the reality of its sound qualities.

The idea that this speaker can reproduce 50kHz is, to say the least, unbelievable. It would not suggest the maufacturer is being extremely honest.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 377
Jan, while I completely agree with everything you said here, I'm confused because in other threads you said that speaker sensitivity wasn't a useful or meanginful spec, and that the only spec that mattered was HxWxD. What's up?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3507

Oh, Peter, what am I to do? Read the post again and you'll see where I suggest listening to the speaker and then making a decision based on the real world situation. Click on the link I provided and you'll see I referred to my previous comments. The link was provided to point out that on paper specs are virtually meaningless when only a handful of numbers are given.

I'm somewhat doubtful the 76dB spec is correct. Have you seen a speaker that low in sensitivity? I don't remember a number like that on any speaker that readily comes to mind. And 50k? With numbers like that on a spec sheet, I wouldn't even trust the H/W/D/ and weight to be correct. The 70Hz doesn't bother me one bit. And that low frequency limit was the number so many posters on the other thread insisted was important.

I don't see a problem with looking at the specs that were provided and coming to the conclusion this is a group of numbers that on paper look suspicious. But if the speaker can show well enough in a demonstration to dispell any doubts about the specs provided, then the speaker might be worth considering. And that is what I said above. Just as long as the H/W/D/ and weight work for the buyer.

Anonymous

Jan,

Thanks for your response... For your information this the spec that I got for Onkyo HTS 570 Home Theater System... Now do you think a brand like Onkyo might give such specs... If you want I can share the manual... I'm looking at buying that system so thought I will ask in this forum... Any comments/suggestions please...

Thanks again for your responses...

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3524

If those are the specs printed, you have no reason but to accept them on face value. The very low sensitivity number does sound like a misprint rather than a dishonet spec. That would be my assumption. In my memory, I have never come across a number that low. My advice would be to listen to the speakers and decide based on what you hear. As I've said before, specs don't really tell you much.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 388
76 is indeed very low. I've listenned to speakers having 82 and they needed serious power to fill a large room with loud music.

Might be a misprint. But as you say, 50KHz is suspect as well.

Silver Member

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 185
http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/vModelDetail?storeId=15001&c atalogId=13401&itemId=63084&catGroupId=25014&displayTab=S&cacheProgram=11002&cac hePartner=7000000000000005702&surfModel=SB-PF500K&surfCategory=Speakers

Probably something similar to that. I really like how they give the -16dB point too.

Anonymous

Any HTS 570 owners here can give their opinions/suggestions... I'm not that good in Audio and the specification and couldn;t judge by listening as well as to which is the optimum and how the sound sounds... Any comments please on how good the system will be...

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 392
Ouch! -16 db! That spec hardly makes sense. "DVD-Audio ready"... Give me a break!

But yeah, you're right. It's probably a similar spec.

Anyway, the Onkyo HTS 570 is a $300 HTiB (receiver, sub and 5 speakers) and I couldn't find any specs on the speakers from their web page. It'll sound like what it'll sound like; Just don't expect too much for $300.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 393
Anon wrote:

Any comments please on how good the system will be...

You might find more people who have experience with it in the "home theather / HTiB" forum (Home Theather in a Box). People here tend to own more expensive systems and might not have experience with HTiB systems. I know I don't...

Anonymous

Thanks Peter, Jan, Stealth for your responses... I got the Spec Sheet for HTS 570 from Onkyo website and looked at the speaker information... I will look into the HTiB section... Once again thanks...

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 534
Jan makes some great points.....

Whatever you do, be sure to listen to any speaker in person before you buy.

Buying speakers without listening to them first is like buying a painting you've never seen.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us