SACD/DVD-A and Home Theater Receivers w/ DSP

Username: Maxima01

Post Number: 1
The following warning was under Surround System setup here on Ecoustics (this applies to both SACD and DVD-A). I have some questions regarding this warning:
--------------------------------------------------
BEWARE of Home Theater Receivers with DSP
Many multi-channel receiver/preamplifiers provide multi-channel analog inputs that are routed to analog-to-digital PCM converters for Digital Signal Processing control, often at 44.1 kHz. The signals are then passed on to digital-to analog converters for the final output to speakers. This "feature" will cause ALL signals, regardless of source, to be no better quality than that of CD playback. Considering that you are playing a SACD with a sampling rate 64 times that of CD, we recommend using a receiver or preamplifier that passes the multi-channel analog signals through entirely in the analog domain. Keeping the signal in analog, without any further digital inter-steps, will insure you will be enjoying the full quality of SACD. We also further recommend that all "effects" programs be disabled, such as "concert hall", "stadium", "nightclub", etc. These ambience programs, which are more suitable for home video use, will destroy the carefully mixed surround presentation you will find on Telarc Surround SACDs.
-------------------------------------------------
I have a Technics SA-DX1050 receiver (DVD-A ready) and a Pioneer DV578S DVD player (DVD-A and SACD capable).
My receiver has DSP, but also is DVD-Audio ready w/ the required 6 analog inputs. Since receiver has DSP, will this not allow my SACD's and DVD-Audio discs to be heard at the highest possible quality, only CD quality (as the warning states)?
Isn't DSP just the "effects" programs that many home theater receivers offer, i.e. "hall", "stadium", "night club"? If I do not have these "effects" turned on while listening to a SACD or DVD-A disc, will I be able to enjoy the disc in true 5.1? Or will the fact that my receiver has DSP built in only allow me to listen in no higher than CD quality no matter what I do. I am really a newbie at this, so hopefully this makes sense.
And one last question. If my receiver supports DVD-Audio, does it also support SACD? I have heard as long as receiver has the 6 separate analog inputs, then it will support both formats, is this true?

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 289
Andrew, your receiver hopefully has a "direct out" function to treat signal in analogue domain. And if when active all "effects" are blocked, then you're on the safe side.

"SACD/DVD-A prepared might refer to handling of dynamics and frequncy response, i.e. 0-100KHz capable circuits. Also, word was out that hi-rez might cause receiver to heat up a bit (mine does). This might be worse for SACD, due to noise peaks.

Cheers
AL

ancientgeek
Unregistered guest
DVD-A and SACD CAN go to the receiver/amp in digital form if iLink (Firewire) connection is used. This avoids the problem.

Pioneer have amps & players that work this way.

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 293
That's right, Firewire bitrate allows for transfering hi-rez audio. But industry (including Pioneer) is heading towards HDMI interface. This format is derived from video-oriented DVI, but is scheduled to also carry audio.

Cheers
AL

Username: Maxima01

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the input Arnold. I am not sure what a "direct out" function is, or if my receiver has it. I read the receiver manual more and I can "defeat" the DSP modes (due to it may interfere with radio reception the manual claims, but output is only in stereo when DSP is defeated).
Mt reciever (Technics SA-DX1050) has a DVD 6CH button for multiple channel audio, this is what the manual says about this button:
"There may be times when you need to use analog input for DVD, such as to enjoy sources recorded with linear PCM and multiple channel linear PCM. Select the analog input mode to suit the source.
DVD: For two-channel audio.
DVD 6CH: For multiple channel audio.

I ran some tests listening to Metallica Black Album DVD-A and Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon SACD and here is what I came up with:

1) Listening to sections of the same songs in different modes, it was apparent that the channels were separated when DVD 6CH was on as opposed to off. This is good!

2) Their was no difference at all when DSP was on or defeated. This is good too! When DSP is defeated, I was unable to change the "effects" modes anyway.

3) I also listened with DVD 6CH off and with different "effects" on. None of them separated the sounds into 6 channels, this was very apparent.

The results of these tests lead me to believe that the DSP mode on my receiver is NOT interfering with the ability to listen to DVD-A and SACD recordings at the highest possible sampling rate and quality. Would you agree?

My one concern is that I can listen to these recordings in 6CH format (as my tests proved), but the signal quality and sampling rate is no better than CD playback. Is this possible?

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 294
It depends on the source. Dolby Digital and DTS tracks on a DVD-Video disc are compressed formats, not better than CD.

DVD-A and SACD should be better than CD, at least in theory, because they actually have much superior sampling rates.

Cheers
AL

Username: Vinnieg

Post Number: 1
hi evryone I have question about sacd & DV Audio what brand of multichannels cables you recomend I found some acustic reerch Belden and monster I know monster is pricy but if some one has try both you notice any diference
question #2 I have a 7.1 Harmna Kardon reciver but my Yamaha is only 5.1 if some one Knows please tell me if is a DVD player with 7.1 multichennel on the market thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us