Looking at buying the Best of the Best

Username: Dwl787

Post Number: 4
I am looking at buying a good sound quality booming Entertainment Centre.

I am new to all this so need some advise.

Receivers: who makes the best overall reciever?
Speakers: who makes the best for sound quality?

Is it a good idea to mixmatch for say pioneer reciever and sony speakers?

What would and should look for in a reciver as well to how many speakers can be hooked up to a single reciver?

Yet another question what to look for when buying speakers for a reciever - as to not want to blow an speaker or the reciever.

Thanks as any help will be great

David

Username: Canadam

Post Number: 10
It all depends on your opinion of the "best." Most of us don't have the bankroll to satisfy what we consider the best. If you do... this could go on a long time :-)

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2799
Budget first. How much money are you willing to spend for the "best"?
What have you sampled so far?

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 357
For "the best" you would buy a seperate pre-amplifer, and mono-block power amplifiers for each channel, rather than a receiver. You would purchase seperate components for each medium.

You could easily spend $100,000 on an A/V system, so your budget is an important consideration towards any recommendations.

Silver Member
Username: Dloweman

Post Number: 113
This link is started here as well and has his budget, so maybe contnue it there.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/124768.html

Bronze Member
Username: Mgkaplan

Calabasas, CA USA

Post Number: 93
The best receiver is the Arcam AVR300.

Bronze Member
Username: Mystro

Post Number: 38
Harmon Kardon AVR7300 or Denon 5805. I like the way HK sounds myself. HK is a bit warmer sounding.

Only Mike
Unregistered guest
Top of the line Harman Kardon receiver is what I would start with.
mz

Bronze Member
Username: Shahrukhd

Mumbai, Maharashtra India

Post Number: 43
Bob Carver's Sunfire "Ultimate" Receiver

Username: Dwl787

Post Number: 9
Hi Everyone,

First like to thank-you for your helpful advice, etc.

I however still need some advice as I just bought Yamaha RX 550 with Paraadigm Monitor 90's for speakers and I see that the Monitor 90 speakers have 4 plug-in terminals (for 2 speaker wires - I assume)

So would I plug the 1 speaker to the Front A terminal and the other speaker to the Front B terminal on the back of the receiver?
David Lambie

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 433
No.

The Yamaha will need some help to power those bad boys if you want them to sing. Even if you bought the RXV-2500, the Monitor 90Ps would benefit from an external power amplifier. You will need a minimum of 100W from a good power amplfier to get solid performance out the speakers, I'd go 200 each from something like 2 of these:

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/200.html

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 104
Paradigm 90p's have powered subs built in. They don't need alot of power. I would however take that Yamaha receiver back and get a Rotel, NAD, or Arcam. That would eliminate the need for an external amp. Hooking up good external power amps to a bad receiver just enhances the bad rather than improving anything. Not that Yamaha is bad it just isn't in the same league as the others I've mentioned.

Bronze Member
Username: Wolfson

Post Number: 15
The Yamaha will work. BUT NOT VERY WELL. If you want the best of the best dont go buy great speakers and drive them with a dinkie little receiver. Give them something that can open these up. Granted they have built in subs you still need some REAL POWER. If you must use a receiver get something from NAD, Rotel or Arcam. These three tend to offer the best power amp sections in mid end receivers. Or try the pre/power combo from Outlawaudio.com. Please try and stay away from mass market receivers with such nice speakers. YOUR EARS WILL THANK YOU. If your on a budget dont cut corners on amps and speakers this is the heart of the system.

Wolf

Scorpius
Unregistered guest
sunfire grand cinema series!!!
integra
maratz
harmon kardon
rotel
lexicom 12 15grand i think!!

and some of the really high end stuff in the millinair have to be categories before you can buy things

but those are some of the few with the sunfier the nicest in my opinion..but of course you gotta match them with nice speakers and they cost also!!!

Username: Chrisdogmlb

Post Number: 5
Denon 5805, I tested one of these at a local audio shop. There is a lot more audio feel coming from the surrounds versus other brands when compared to at the same volume and when they were both setup right. This could be due to the discrete amplifier circuitry in the Denon. There are a lot of factors for a system to sound good. Go to a local shop and test the receivers out for yourself. Crappy speakers can make a awesome receiver sound bad. So they affect your choice too. My other choice would be Marantz though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us