Denon AVR-2805 vs Onkyo TX-SR702 vs Pioneer VSX-D914-K

Username: Skarekat

Post Number: 1
I'm a relative newbie to component home theater systems. I currently have a Yamaha AV-1 HT system that just supports Dolby ProLogic. I'd like to graduate to better quality component systems. I'm looking for a good receiver and HT speakers to fit my ~$1000-1500 budget.

I've been doing some research for the past few months and have short-listed the subject receivers (Denon AVR-2805 vs Onkyo TX-SR702 vs Pioneer VSX-D914-K). Which one would you recommend and why? If you have other recommendations please do let me know.

I have a 18' x 13' room. Could the gurus also recommend good 5.1/6.1 HT speakers to go with any one of the receivers. I don't want a 7.1 speaker system since I'm afraid I won't have enough room to place them well enough.

Thanks a million for your advice. Looking forward to your input.

Regards,
Sharan

Bronze Member
Username: Marcuslee842

Chicago, IL U.S.A.

Post Number: 18
Try the pioneer VSX-1014TX-K (successor to the VSX-D914-K). It's a great reciever, with an optional 7.1 set up. The speaker jacks that are used for rear 7.1 channels can be programed to deliver music in a second room! So you can enjoy the excellent 5.1 but still have time to upgrade to 7.1 when your ready, and have sound in a second listening room. And this reciever is as low as $349! 110 watts a channel, thx-certified, and it sounds like an Elite model because it's the same model as the VSX 52tx just minus some very small features. It retails normally $699! It's by far the best reciever you can buy for the cash. Hope this helps!

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL U.S.A.

Post Number: 20
Oh, yeah about the speakers. I have 6 Sony SS-MB350H bookshelf speakers and a SS-CN550H center channel speaker for $270 all together. I just purchased the Floorstanding Sony SS-MF750H for my front L and R channels for $170. Don't listen to what anyone says these are great speakers, but don't be afraid to check out JBL and Polk for great bang for the buck speakers. Oh yeah, almost forgot, one of the best things about the Pioneer is that it comes with a microphone for automatic speaker set-up! Just connect the mic and press a few bottons and the reciever does everything else, size,level,delay and even uses a 5-band equalizer to optimize the sound of the speakers for your room! You won't regret buying it!

Malvern, PA USA

Post Number: 2
Marcus, thanks.

I'm looking at the Onkyo SKS-HT240 speaker system. How's that? Any other suggestions on speakers? Thanks.

Anonymous

I know you are looking for an affordable system. But going for a pioneer is like buying a Technichs regarding Sound Quality. You should consider or the Denon who's going to give you better sound quality in Stereo or go towards the Onkyo if you are more interested on watching movies. Those two have automatic speaker configuration and 2nd Zone to listen any other source on another room.

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL U.S.A.

Post Number: 25
Are you crazy! Do you even know of Pioneer. Sombody needs good advice and you tell them that Pioneer and Technics are on the same level! You must be really jealous of some who has a Pioneer or something. Sharan, do not believe Mr. "anonymous" go to google.com and type in 1014TX. I guarantee you will hear nothing but postive results. Or better yet if there is an electronics store somewhere in your area see if they have the Pioneer and go check it out. This guy obviously is a newcomer and dosen't realize what he's saying.

Malvern, PA USA

Post Number: 3
I have heard Pioneer and Technics boom boxes in the 1980's. They used to be pretty good. CNET has ranked the Pioneer VSX-914K pretty highly. However, Denon seems to clearly and consistently be getting very high reviews. Onkyo also seems to be good but maybe not as good as Denon. I have never owned a Denon or Onkyo, but I've heard an old Onkyo receiver in the past and it sounded good.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 278
Sharan,
If your budget is $1,000-$1500, you should be looking at different models. I realize that you stated that you intend to run your system in 5-6.1 mode and dont have plans for a 7th speaker, but given your budget, you should be looking at 7.1 receivers. Just because it's capable of 7.1 doesnt mean you have to plug in 7 speakers. If you plug 5 or 6 speakers into a 7.1 receiver, it will automatically run in 5.1 or 6.1 mode respectively. Keep in mind that the extra speaker hookup is not the only improvement on the 7.1 models.

There are better receivers available in your price range than what you listed. If you're interested in getting the best receiver in your listed price range, you should reconsider your choices.

I rank the top3 in your price range as follows.......

1.Yamaha2500
2.Pioneer54-56tx
3.Denon3805

The rest are all somewhere behind....All three of these have more features, and are better than what you listed.

If you said your budge was in the <$500-600, your choices would have been on target.

Silver Member

Post Number: 279
oops, I reread your post and saw where you also intend to buy speakers as part of your budget.

Nevermind.....

I'll revise and recommend the Yamaha1500. I realize you have an old Yamaha now and probably want to test new waters by buying something different. That's understandable.....I do like the Yamahas better though.

I was a Pioneer man for 20 years, and recently did some water testing of my own..."heh"

Malvern, PA USA

Post Number: 4
Thanks Paul. Yes, ideally I would like to buy the Denon 3805 and Bose AM16. I'd like to go in for satellite speakers due to their small footprint. However, since they're both very expensive I'll have to settle for the Onkyo TX-SR702 + SKS-HT240, or Denon 2805 + JBL SCS300.7. What do you think about this combination? Any other suggestions.

Silver Member

Post Number: 286
Sharan,

I havnt listened to those speaker models. My best advice is to make every attempt to listen to various speaker packages and pick whatever you think sounds the best. Pretty simple, eh? Try not to go overboard analyzing specs. Just let your ears be the judge.

Everybody likes something different, and it's important that you find something that fits your personal needs/tastes.

SeanMoreau
Unregistered guest
Paul the first this we need to know before we can help you is whether you are going to listen more music than movies or vice versa.
The reason is very simple, buying a speaker package like the one listed here is more than good for movies, but is not that good for music because it doesn't cover with complete accuracy the range needed for music listening. If the main use is going to be listening music you should consider getting a pair of floorstading speakers and then the rest. By the options you are giving I would take the Denon version because of the quality in stereo. But if you are going to see movies most of the time, take the Onkyo, is THX certified and has 39 DSP plus Dolby digital, DTS and THX programs.
Regarding the speakers, go for the JBL, they have more experience on that matter.

PS. I was the anonymous.
Marcus compare the sound of a Pioneer and a Denon and you WILL see the difference. I had Pioneer this one in fact VSX-59TXi. Now I have this one AVR-5805, I think I know what I'm talking about. Not jealous at all.
"This guy obviously is a newcomer and doesn't realize what he's saying." If that is what you think....

Cheers

Malvern, PA USA

Post Number: 5
Sean, thanks for your response.

My listening breakout is gonna be approx. 30% movies, 40% TV, and 30% music.

What do you think about the
Onkyo TX-SR702 + SKS-HT240 combination
OR
Onkyo TX-SR702 + JBL SCS300.7 combination
for the listening breakout I've mentioned above?

Like I said earlier, I have a Yamaha AV-1 (really obsolete, just has Dolby Prologic) but I really like the DSP soundfields it has. Would you recommend a Yamaha receiver instead of a Denon or Onkyo?

Username: Sanmoreau

Post Number: 2
I would take the 2nd option. the Onkyo with the JBL speaker set. Just because is JBL they are very agressive. I think they will give you a great experience, plus it's a 7.1 set and the subwoofer is more than powerfull to make you neighbors hate you.

I've listened all of them and the Onkyo is the best option you have for Home Theatre because of the DSP and you also get a THX Certified receiver.

Cheers
Sean
I registered now.

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL U.S.A.

Post Number: 29
Yeah, and celebrities have Porche's, Lamborghini's, and Ferrari's and probably can't tell the difference between them. Just because you own two of the same brands dosen't mean anything, sound is not the same to all people. Plus you are comparing top of the line recievers, granted Denon is a EXCELLENT brand, better than Pioneer as far as flagship recievers go, but as for her price range range she should go with the Pioneer for a better price to performance ratio. Oh yeah, by the way my father has a Denon 3805 and we both prefer the sound of the Pioneer.
Cheers.

sbs
Unregistered guest
I have recently purchased the Denon 2805 (which, like the pioneer, comes with the auto setup mic) and a 7.1 speaker system - Infinty Primus. However, the system set me back $2009. I have owned a pioneer, sony, and technics stereo system and the clarity on the Denon is incredible in comparison. Keep in mind that the comparison is between a $900 Denon receiver and others that cost $300~400. You may be able to find the same system for less than 2k, but I think that 2k will be the price if you purchase it from an authorized dealer. I originally looked at purchasing satellite speakers in lieu of floor standing speakers. But when comparing the sound quality between the two, it was evident to me to spend the extra $$ and go with the floor standing speaker system. The sound seemed to me to be more full. Obviously if space if your concern, that satellites may be your best setup. The only other thing to consider is it worth spending lots of $$ on a receiver if the sound from your speaker system wont be on the same level.

Just to reiterate, the Denon 2805 sounds awesome.

Silver Member
Username: Shokhead

Lakewood, CA USA

Post Number: 117
The ones listed by Sharon are all fine. All your going to get here is who has which brand and thats the one they will tell you to get,most the time. I'd say get one of those that you can get the best deal from and worry more about speakers.

DonDon
Unregistered guest
I think the Pioneer 1014 retail price was $699 and it has the same internals as the $1000 VSX-52tx. Denon has a built in brainwashing circuit

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL U.S.A.

Post Number: 30
um, okay. Sharan you can't go wrong with ANY reciever made by Yahmaha, Denon, Onkyo, or Pioneer get the reiciever that fits YOU and sounds the way YOU want it to. I couldn't help but notice the 914k so here is some info on the amazingly cheap 1014TX-K:
Pioneer VSX-1014TX-K:

Certified As Superior Sound

THX certification requires a receiver's built-in amplifiers to meet extremely rigorous guidelines relating to sound fidelity and power output, ensuring an excellent reproduction of the theater experience in your home. Famed director George Lucas established THX technology as the big-theater audio reference standard. Now, Pioneer advances home theater surround once again with THX Select, designed for high-impact multi-channel audio in rooms up to 2,000 cubic feet, such as your media room. The VSX1014TXK delivers cinema-quality sound directly to your home. To eliminate undesireable electrical influence, Direct Construction keeps critical circuitry separate (for example, digital from analog, and video from audio). Also, the positioning of key parts is carefully mapped out, to optimize signal transmission efficiency.

The Amplification of Quality

Pioneer has once again pushed the envelope with the development of Advanced Direct Energy MOSFET circuitry. This new advancement offers high-power drivability, ultra-efficient amplification, stable imaging, and low energy loss. The VSX1014TXK is designed with heat compensation in the power chip and an AC/DC isolated amp module to minimize power imbalances that can distort the sound stage. Power amplification units are placed symmetrically to precisely optimize each MOSFET condition and to maximize electric power. As a result, each channel achieves powerful output, exceptional sound quality, and clarity in every audible detail, even at low impedance.

Engineered For Excellence

The advanced simplicity of design and the superior quality of the chips, power supplies and materials that make up the VSX1014TXK prove that Pioneer A/V receivers are indeed the industry standard. The Digital Core Engine incorporates all digital signal processing into one powerful, compact circuit board, shortening the signal path and minimizing radiation. Its double-precision, high-speed 180 MIPS Motorola 48-bit DSP is the same chip used in Dolby and DTS theater systems worldwide, as well as in the creation of music, movies, and television shows. The benefits? Low jitter, a super-accurate PLL sound-processing clocking module, and virtually no audio degradation. Plus, this processors's low impedance stabilizes power throughout the chip, preventing internal noise that can affect signal purity.

The Best Performance From Any Room, Automatically

To achieve optimal audio performance, your speakers need to be fine-tuned for the room they're in. Room size and shape, floor and wall textures, the quality and relative size of your speakers -- all of these factors affect performance. Pioneer has a solution: the VSX1014TXK offers the most precise acoustic calibration available without professional support. It's called the Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration System, or MCACC, and it works in any room regardless of shape or size. Automatic MCACC set-up uses a microphone to monitor a room's acoustic environment, then determines the size and number of speakers, as well as channel level and listener-to-speaker distances. The VSX1014TXK even has a 5-band equalizer for more precise adjustment. With MCACC, you can have the ultimate home entertainment system -- one that is customized for your own home.

Surround Yourself with Pristine Sound

In addition to the more traditional surround sound formats, the VSX1014TXK offers new Pro Logic IIx for 7.1-channel playback of traditional stereo and 5.1/6.1-channel content. It can apply Dolby Digital EX and DTS-ES decoding to 6.1-channel output, and its DTS NEO:6 capability can produce 6.1-channel surround from 2-channel sources. Pioneer's exclusive DSP technology lets you experience movies and music as never before. Virtual Surround Back mode deepens and broadens the sound stage by creating a "phantom" rear surround effect without using a surround back speaker. 7-Channel Stereo mode simulates a regular stereo acoustic environment while using all your system's speakers to create Original Surround modes. For the most compelling entertainment possible, Advanced Theater DSP modes create various simulated sound stages depending on the room environment and applications (choose between Cinema, Music, TV, Game, and Sports). And, Expanded Theater mode extends the depth, breadth, and dynamism of Dolby Surround sources, for a more faithful reproduction of 5-channel sound.

Quality Connections

The input terminals on the VSX1014TXK are configured for 7.1-channel processing for DTS-ES, DTS, Dolby Digital, and other multi-channel sources such as DVD-Audio and SACD. To enjoy cinema-quality sound, just connect a Pioneer DVD player and suround system speakers and you're ready. For CD-R/RW, MD, and other recording media, this receiver has two digital coaxial inputs and optical inputs, plus a digital output. You also get two component video inputs to maintain the signal integrity from such digital sources as DVD and DTV. The VSX1014TXK even has one front optical terminal for even more flexible connection.

VSX-1014TX-K Specifications

Power:

Power Amplifier Design A.D.E MOS FET

Surround Power 110 W x 7 (20HZ - 20kHZ @ 8 ohm, 0.09% THD)

Stereo Power 110 W x 2 (20HZ - 20kHZ @ 8 ohm, 0.09% THD)

Digital Decoding & Processing:

Digital Engine Motorola 48-Bit / 180 MIP

THX Select

Dolby Digital 5.1

Dolby Digital EX

DTS 5.1

DTS-ES Discrete 6.1

DTS 96/24

DTS-Neo6

Pro-Logic II DPLIIx

Pioneer Advanced Theater Modes Advanced Surround 8 Mode

Virtual Surround Back

Mid Night Listening

Loudness

MCACC

Speaker Configuration

Speaker Size

Speaker Level

Speaker Distance

Acoustic Equalization 4 Band

Analog to Digital Conversion 96kHZ / 24-Bit

Digital Analog Conversion (DAC) 192 kHZ / 24- Bit

Connectivity :

Audio (Tuner Included) / Video Input 8 Audio / 5 Video

Audio/Video Output 2 Audio / 2 Video

Digital Inputs 5

Optical In 3

Coaxial In 2

Optical Digital Output 1

Multi-Channel Input 6 Channel

Audio Preamp Output 7 Channel

Composite Video Input 5

Composite Video Output 2

S-Video Input 5

S-Video Output 2

Component Video Input 2

Component Video Output 1

Headphone Output

Front A/V Inputs

AC Outlet 1

Banana Speaker Terminal

SR Control SR+

Speaker A/B A/B

Construction

Front Panel Aluminum

Conveniences:

Remote Type LCD Preprogram / Smart

Dimensions:

Dimensions (W * H * D) 16.5 x 6.8 x 18.26 inches

I am not trying to talk you into getting a Pioneer, I am just trying to show you what you can get for only $349. I would post the same exact thing if a reiciever this good at this price was made by company with a name like Thump.
It is NOT the best reiceiver in the world (DENON 5805) but is the best reicever under $500 and performs like one costing twice as much.

Silver Member

Post Number: 297
Im with DS on this....

He should listen to what's available and simply pick what he thinks sounds the best. The speakers are the most important piece of your sound system, because after all..........that's what spits out the sound, right??....heh

Never buy anything you havnt listened too first because in spite of glorious reviews, it may not sound good to you.

Silver Member

Post Number: 298
The 5805 is a nice high end receiver, but I'd take the YammiZx9 given the choice:-)

Malvern, PA USA

Post Number: 6
Thanks for all your responses. Keep them coming.

I'm amazed how Pioneer can offer such a powerful receiver for such a low price. That makes me suspect the longevity of the electronic components that go into the making of these receivers. Of course, I could be wrong on that assumption.

But like you said, I too am interested in getting the most bang for the buck without sacrificing too much on the sound quality. And Pioneer seems to fit that pretty well. Though I haven't heard a Pioneer receiver I'm sure it'll be good. I have suffered these past 7 years listening to the mediocre Yamaha AV-1 with a THD of 10%.

Malvern, PA USA

Post Number: 8
You guys are right, I should go listen to those receivers first hand. Any suggestions on which are good places to go listen to these receivers?

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL U.S.A.

Post Number: 31
The Yamaha Zx9, I regret to say I haven't heard of it I must research! I know Best Buy has Yahmaha and Pioneer, I don't think they carry Onkyo and Denon, but I could be wrong. Also try to find a store that has a dedicated listening room for receivers and speakers rather than one that lets you listen off a display shelf. The sound would be closer to what you hear in your own home but still not the exact same. Also listen to your ears not the salesman.

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL U.S.A.

Post Number: 32
Paul you are right the Yamaha RX-Z9 is cold blooded! RX-Z9 vs. 5803. Hmm like trying to decide between your left and right leg. Now I can get either one but I just bought the Pioneer 1014TX-K and I don't want to buy another reciever and speakers now, but damn that's tempting!

Silver Member

Post Number: 301
Yea, you wont find that model at any best buy......that's for darned sure. Take a look at the price.

It's sick, and probably the best money can buy without going into seperates.

http://www.ultimateelectronics.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=3133&i temType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=1530&iSubCat=1628&iProductID=3133

At least it's the best that Ive ever seen in person.

Malvern, PA USA

Post Number: 9
I stopped by Circuit City yesterday. Their systems are not at all configured for the best sound. In fact, some of them didn't even have the sub-woofer on even though it was lying there. The Onkyo 702 seemed to require bumping up the volume quite a bit to get some decent sound. It could also be bad config. Listening to those receivers/speakers in such a terrible setup, if I were an absolute newbie I wouldn't buy any of those top rated stuff at all. It's a shame that the audio rooms in these chain stores are in such shambles when they ought to have the best setup for them to be able to sell. I'll probably try Tweeter or some dedicated HiFi store to listen to those receivers/speakers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 305
Yea, I dont care too much for either circuit city or best buy. I realize that in many cities, you dont really have a choice.

Ultimate Electronics rocks though....They have a lot of nice stuff and they have several nice soundrooms.

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL U.S.A.

Post Number: 33
That's true circuit city and best buy kinda suck at trying to find a excellent receiver. CD/DVD players, computer accessories, even interconnects are fine, but audio is a weak point. Like you say our choices are a bit "slim".
Still trying to decide if i'm going to buy the 5805, or the RX-Z9. My Sony towers shipped and I have been enjoying them 100 times more than I thoungt I would. They sound amazing for the price I paid.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us