DTS sound interruptions: Is this normal in most digital receivers?

Username: Chrisk13

Post Number: 1
Hi,

I recently purchased the Sony STR-DE697 digital receiver and I just played my first DTS-encoded DVD through it last week. The problem: When set to output the DTS soundtrack on the disc, sound output is interrupted for a brief period of time (maybe a quarter of a second) after playback starts, or after I scan forward or reverse or skip to another chapter on the disc. This occurs regardless of whether I've secured a coaxial or optical digital audio connection from my DVD player. Furthermore, the interruption doesn't occur right away either; sometimes it'll be a good couple of seconds before it happens, but inevitably it always does. I don't have this problem with the Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack from DVD's, only with DTS soundtracks.

The instruction manual reflects that Sony has observed this problem when the PCM Decoding option in the CUSTOM menu is set to "Auto", so it suggests setting this to "PCM". After doing so, I still get the problem.

Is this common with DTS encoders or with most lower-end digital receivers, or does anyone know if this is a common problem with the Sony STR-DE697, or Sony receivers in general? I've Googled the internet for this issue with this model, but I've found nothing. I've done everything I can think of configuration-wise and I'm facing the last resort of unwiring EVERYTHING and taking the beast back to Best Buy for a check-up.

If anyone can shed some light on this problem, I'd appreciate it.

Bronze Member
Username: Usa2k4

Post Number: 86
That's obviously a problem but I'm not sure if it's a problem with the DE697 model or with only your receiver. I've used several DTS capable receivers (one is a low priced $170 receiver) and none has the problem you described. I hope other DE697 owners would tell you if theirs also do that.

Post Number: 2
NOTE: This sound interruption is not continuous, it just occurs one or two times. I've also observed that the STR-DE697 detects the digital signal, and when I played a DTS-ES soundtrack (the "Seven" DVD) the receiver "re-detected" the digital signal type when the interruption occurred i.e. the interrupt is caused by the receiver resetting its detection. This occurs at random, as though the pick-up of the bitstream itself is interrupted.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
The sound cutout would occur randomly and in very brief time. I understand what you mean because I also had a Sherwood receiver that did the same thing when playing Dolby Digital 5.1 movies and I had to return it. Does the problem happen with all DVD's or only with that particular DVD?

Post Number: 3
Hi Kevin,

It occurs with all DVDs. I called Sony today and they suggested that the problem might be with my DVD player (Samsung HD841) and how it emits the DTS bitstream, so I'll have to test out another DVD player and see if the problem persists.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 90
Yeah, just hook up another player to make sure it's not the player that caused the problem. At that time, I also thought it was the DVD player but after tested out 3 different players, I still got the same problem so I decided to return the receiver. Also, if you use the coaxial connection, make sure the cable is an 75-Ohm digital coaxial cable and not a regular RCA audio cable.

Post Number: 4
It was the Samsung HD-841 DVD player. I hooked up my dad's cheap Electrohome DVD player and played the DTS-ES soundtrack for "Seven", no problem.

I returned the DVD player and exchanged it for another one of the same make and model, brought it home, hooked it up, put in "Seven", and *whammo*, same problem (although not as bad - the cutout occurs once). Then I went on the Internet and googled "Samsung HD-841 DTS" - the first many hits reflected the exact problem I have.

Mark321
Unregistered guest
I had the same problem with my Samsung HD-841 when watching movies in DTS. I knew the problem was either the receiver, the cable, or the DVD player. I just bought a new Pioneer 1014 THX receiver and an $80 audio cable, and the sound on DTS still skips at random. So obiously it is this DVD player that is the problem. The sound will go away for anywhere from a fraction of a second to up to 2 seconds, and it happens from 2 or 3 times in a movie to more than a dozen times. It is quite annoying. I'm wondering now if Samsung can fix this problem?

Username: Ahramlee

Post Number: 3
I have an H/K AVR, and mine does the same. Here's what I found on H/K's web site. Maybe the other manufacturers use similar technology? Hope the following helps.

"The AVR's microprocessor performs the functions of detecting the incoming bitstream, identifying its format (e.g. Dolby Digital, DTS, PCM), and selecting the correct mode for decoding and processing the bitstream based on how you have configured the receiver. This process, which includes communications between the processor and data stored in outboard read-only memory, takes a brief amount of time, during which the microprocessor may generate transient noise as it switches modes. In order to prevent unpleasant noises at best, or possible damage to your speakers at worst, we have programmed the AVR to briefly mute the audio output."

120inna55
Unregistered guest
Chris, as you've noticed, this is a known problem with the Samsung HD-841 player. Good news, though: Samsung has a firmware update that resolves the issue. I've been arguing with Samsung since July 2004 about this issue. Simply go to Samsung's site: http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/support/b2c_support_product_results.jsp Download the firmware upgrade and follow the instructions (3 very simple steps), and problem solved! This is now an awesome player!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us