NAD T773 My experience -- amazing!

Daniel Benatar
Unregistered guest
Ok folks, after 3 weeks with my NAD T773, and Snell speakers. First let me descried the system:

NAD T773
Speakers: 2 Front Snell E.5mk2 Slim Floorstanding System, center Snell CR.5mk2 Center Channel, and srrund Snell SR.5 Full-Range Surroundas well.
Subwoofer: NOVA 10.

I have connected the receiver to Pioneer 636 DVD by using optical cable, S-Video from the DVD to the receiver and another S- Video cable from the receiver to the TV.

I have set up the system to matrix 7.1 with Center and surround +12 db and front speakers to + 7 db. The Subwoofer is ~ at 60 Hz.
For Movie I use the same set up as well.

With this, and after ~ 3 weeks since I received my HT system, I can summary my experience as that system exceeds my expectations. The sound is clear and provides the right environment for movies or for music. The receiver with this set of speakers delivers music through MATRIX 7.1 surround mode in high level of quality, and first time I can say that I really can feel the music and the sound through the system in the room as a live music. And I impress with the deep details of the output sound. It is like you in a concert and one-person play guitar on one side of the room and on the center side, the singer is singing a song, and on the other side you have the nice soft dram with gentle saxophone and light piano. And you can clearly hear the detailed music surrounding you from all the direction. NEO 6 Music mode is also amazing for music lessening as well as extended stereo.

Now, I have read a lot through this forum about the humm, hizz, and other noise issues, with NAD receivers. Al in all, I have checked my system many times, by playing songs, or movies in several modes, and from 1 feet I could not hear any noise. When I came closer to the speakers and put my ear on the front speakers, I can hear noise in a very low level, and this is just when I pause movie, not in any music mode. I went to several dealers, to check other receivers (DENON, Rotel, Yamaha and HK), and in all of them I can hear the same noise level as with the NAD. My conclusion is that this noise is a background one, and it appears in all receivers, and without stop the movie, and put your ear on the speaker you can't hear it at all.

Anyway, wanted to share with you my experience with my system.

I will be glad to answer further question.

Daniel

Username: Willow

Post Number: 3
Hi Daniel
Any reason why you have your system calibrated up at +12db on centre and surround and +7db on the fronts? Was the calibration done with a sound level meter?

Daniel Benatar
Unregistered guest
Hi Willow,

No, I just calibrated the system based on my hearing. I think that there are more options do play with the system calibration, but since you have like several music modes with several options of the speakers positions, I just set it up to this position and stoped. In addition, I still think that my speakers location is not optimized yet. I have talked with several people, and some of them prefer to have the system set up on 0 db across all speakers.

Hope that this help, thanks, Daniel

Bronze Member
Username: Buckeyeshine

Post Number: 13
Daniel,

Glad to hear some positive posts for NAD with all of the bad press they've been getting on this board lately.

I've had my T773 for just over 3 weeks now and so far, I'm equally extatic about it's sound quality!

I have a Denon DVD-2200 which has SACD/DVD-A capability but I don't have the analog cables for these sound formats yet. If you're that pleased with Matrix 7.1 imagine what true SACD/DVDA would sound like. I can't wait.

Good luck.

Bronze Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 19
JDG

I am considering the DV-2200 or 2900. What's the picture quality like with yours and can you see if there is any reason to spend extra on the 2900 being that it is almost twice the weight!

pjc
Unregistered guest
The 2900 has slightly better audio DACs.

Go to a store that will let you do an A/B comparison between the DV-2200 and DV-2900. You might not be able to hear the difference, in which case, by all means go for the less expensive one. Alas (for my wallet), I could hear the difference (I have excessively good hearing).

St. Louis Blues
Unregistered guest
Well- I took the plunge. Just ordered a 763- will let everone know when I get it in/ setup next week.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
No doubt as is often the case you get what you pay for. However due to monetary reasons, the 2200 was my limit. My wife was ready to kill me as it was by upgrading to the T773 :0)

Username: Airforceone

Post Number: 6
The Denon 2900 has been EVERYTHING I'd hoped it would be. FANTASTIC PQ and great sound. Not one problem in the five months I've owned it and I've NEVER seen a layer change with it. NEVER.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Thanx pjc, JDG and AF1,

Ah yes - the wife vs wallet! It's a problem when one is hung up on quality. Apart from the specs, I have a preference for Japenese made for durability.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
That's Japanese - time for the eye test!

Daniel Benatar
Unregistered guest
Hi all,

Can you folks help me to understand what is the difference would be using the SACD/DVD-A capability with analog cables for the NAD T773 sound formats ? As I was wrote, I am using only the optical cable DVD to the receiver.

Thanks, Daniel

Username: Airforceone

Post Number: 8
If your DVD or CD player is SACD capable just run the analog 5.1 outs from the player into the 5.1 analog inputs on the 773 and select "external analog" on the 773. The difference between the digital cable and the analog ones is that SACD is an analog format and if you really want to hear it, this is what must be done. Using the digital cable forces the 773 to re-process the SACD signal causing you to hear the 773 processing rather than the original SACD signal. You want to keep it analog all the way. Don't digitize it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
My Rantz,
Others here say the 2900 is superior. I did not compare the models again because of my budget. The 2200 has excellent picture quality for me and I'm very happy with it.

If you can compare them in the store and see a difference and can swing the extra $$ then I say go for it and step up.

Personally I don't get too hung up on point of manufacture. The potential differences in mfg. location certainly depend on the companie's support structure they have in place. The designs are going to be done in the same place (Japan for a Japanese company) so what you're typically exposed to are factory workmanship defects which are typically issues out of box and probably discovered well within the warranty period. The component supply base can sometimes be different but usually the same. Nothing is 100% of course.

I would pay extra $$ for superior quality I can detect with my eyes and ears but certainly wouldn't just for point of manufacture.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
JDG

I agree, Japan made is only a preference but not an absolute. From the specs both seem like fine units. It will take a lot of difference to make me spend the extra. It will also depend on the cost of out TV upgrade - our 40" RP Pioneer has phospher burns and would cost more to fix than it did to buy. Thanks for the info.

Daniel Benatar
Unregistered guest
Thanks Air force 1,

When I am using the analog 5.1 outs from the player into the 5.1 analog inputs on the 773 and select "external analog", do I need to disconnect the optical cable ?

Thanks, Daniel
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us