Harmon Kardon

Robert Jackson
Unregistered guest
How do the HKs compare to the Marantz in terms ONLY of "warm" or "laidbackness"? There are much fewer stores that carry Marantz as compared to HK, so I am wondering if pairing HK with certain speakers will be a good test of what a Marantz might sound like.

Unregistered guest
I'd like to know the answer too, since I'm interested in Marantz SR-4400 vs h/k AVR 230 and need the warm sound for Klipsch speakers.

:-)

Unregistered guest
I'm not an expert, but I've been told (by Hawk, primarily - one of the resident experts here) that H/K is a very laid back receiver.

They were deemed a great match for the Mirage Omnisat's I just bought...

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 206
Very similar generally speaking. Both are on the warm side and good match with a speaker on the bright side.[Klipsch,Monitoretc.] Elite also is warmer than most.

Username: Landroval

Post Number: 4
Why is this Harm_o_n Kardon typo/mistake so common? I see it everywhere. Nobody calls NAD "NOD".

DaveC
Unregistered guest
I have an HK AVR130, and I can vouch for its warmth and "laid back" sound, which I guess I would describe as sounding like the audio is coming from "inside" the speaker rather than the front of the speaker. I have it paired currently with Wharfedale Diamond bookshelves, but I'm considering an Athena 5.1 setup to counter-balance the warmth.

Bronze Member
Username: Stone

Post Number: 32
I do not think the newer HK AVR receivers are as warm sounding as the older models, early 90's and older. But my modest AVR230 is on the warm side of neutral.

Username: Landroval

Post Number: 5
You say it's not as warm as the older models, but how about the detail and resolution of the sound? comparing to NAD or Marantz?

Bronze Member
Username: Ncavman

Post Number: 57
I would tend to agree with Stone. I have a 2003-built HK and can't comment on how it compares to the 80s or 90s models. But I can say it is not quite as 'laid back' as I was lead to believe before I heard it, which worked out good for me. This AVR7200 is closer to the middle, but is on the warm side of neutral. It took a tad of the bright edge off my speakers that were on the slightly-brighter side. I listened to a recent 6-channel Marantz that sounded much like mine, with similar speakers. I thought the Marantz was a bit warmer than the HK to my ears. I must say I liked the Marantz and Elite as much as the HK (they were my three finalists)

Landroval - I can't speak for NAD sorry. There is very good detail on this HK, far better than the flagship Sony ES (mistake) and mid-line Denon it replaced. Also an incredible amp section, very wide stage, and most of all it is outstanding on noise (lack of noise) and dynamics. During quiet passages in a song or in movies there is nothing, nada, zip, zero....whether using analog or digital. Yes if you cram your ear in a tweeter and crank it up you can hear something if you have yours earwax really cleaned out. One foot away from 7 active high-current channels I can't hear anything at all. That is the way it should be. There is simply nothing coming out of the receiver when there is not supposed to be. Not even a fan to make noise. Then when a big scene occurs, or a loud passage on music, the HK accurately recreates it and has the oomph to push the levels up very quickly (slew rate?)... faster than most others I listened to in its class IMO.

Robert - I think that if you had to pick a receiver to simulate a Marantz, recent HKs would be a pretty fair choice but nothing, I mean nothing, is going to recreate the Marantz sound like a Marantz. If you can't listen locally and have to buy online, obviously buy from a reputable dealer with a good return policy. These similar sounding receivers each have their own character and subtleties that you need to experience yourself to see what you like. I don't think you can ever really find a good substitute for that. Good luck!

Bronze Member
Username: Heff

Post Number: 57
Marantz and H/K are good choices for laid back power.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us