"Explain Subwoofer Frequency"

Anonymous

If my mains go down to 40Hz and going down in # means it can play lower frequency. Then With a sub what does it mean when it says it can go from 50Hz-150Hz. I understand the 50Hz, but how come the # goes Back up instead of down?
I am confused.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 143
They're giving you the frequency range for which they perform.

Anonymous

I understand that. But how does the numbers system work in Hz

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 148
Ok, I'll try to explain where (I thnk)you're getting confused.......

Often times, you'll see speakers advertised as 35HZ-20kHZ.

If you dont look closely.....it looks like it's going down.......35-20??......right???

Look closer and it says from 35HZ-20(K)HZ....in other words....the K that you're overlooking is HUGE because what the 'k' represents is 1,000 hertz. What it's really saying is 35-20,000.

I dont claim to be the Hertz expert so anybody feel free to chime in.

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 175
why dont you be a little bit more specific about your confusion and maybe we can help you better

Bronze Member
Username: Miso

Slovakia

Post Number: 14
whats confusing about that-you can adjust subs x-over(which is LPF-low pass filter) up to 50-150hz ,lets say you set it at 80hz,so it will play freq.as low as freq.response of your sub to 80hz.should not be playing anything above 80hz-see?its so easy:-)))

Anonymous

Hi miso,

What you just stated there is completely correct.

Anonymous

Edit:

I mean to say, what miso just said is completely correct. :-)

Anonymous

Your not getting my question. I know the 20khz is higher, i'm only asking about lower. HZ. Lets say i have a speaker that goes down to 50Hz. And then the Sub is 50Hz-150Hz. So lower the frquency the lower the sound. so 50Hz, all the way down to 0Hz. So why does the frequency # go up from there, even though the sound is going lower, and it's still measured in Hz.

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 176
what sub are you talking about? maybe there is a confusion of a specification that either you or we are making. i am guessing that those numbers are the settings for the crossover and not the frequency range of the sub. even the cheapest of subs will hit around 30 hz. check the specs again and see what the 50hz-150hz is actually a spec for. if that still doesnt answer your question be even more specific. we arent all super experts or mind readers. the easiest thing would be to just tell us what sub you are getting that number from.

Silver Member
Username: Usa2k4

Post Number: 119
For example, you have a subwoofer that has a frequency response of 25-200Hz, +/-3dB, without using a crossover. This means the lowest frequency that the subwoofer can reproduce is 25Hz and the highest one is 200Hz. Most people don't want the highest frequency that the subwoofer would put out to be too high because the sounds at 100Hz and higher are more directional than the sounds below 100Hz. On the other hand, you don't want the sub to have this highest frequency too low where the satellites can't reach so a crossover with a low pass filter is used to cut off the highest frequency that the sub would reproduce at a point that is low enough to make the subwoofer less directional and high enough for the lowest frequency on the satellites can reach. Preferably, if the lowest frequency that your satellites can reproduce is 70Hz, for example, the cutoff frequency on the crossover control should be set at 70Hz+5Hz or about 75Hz. Since your satellites and mine are very much likely different, they would have different frequency responses. For ex, yours may go from 70Hz to 20,000Hz and mine may go from 50Hz to 20,000Hz. Therefore, the subwoofer manufacturer would provide a crossover control on the sub so that you and I can adjust the cutoff frequency of the low pass filter (from 50Hz to 150Hz, for example) to easily integrate the subwoofer to our own speaker systems. So in your case in this example, you may need to set the crossover control at 75Hz and I may need to set it at 55Hz to make the subwoofer work best for our systems. If I set the crossover control at 55Hz, the sub in this example will give a frequency response of 25Hz to 55Hz and 55Hz is not the lowest frequency that you'd get from the sub, it is actually the highest one according to the cutoff setting on the crossover control. The lowest frequency you'd get from the sub is still 25Hz.

Bronze Member
Username: Shokhead

Lakewood, CA USA

Post Number: 89
Why does the freq # goes up from where?

Anonymous

So if i want my sub to do as much bass as possible should I set my crossover on my sub to 50HZ or 150HZ?

Anonymous

So if i want my sub to do as much bass as possible should I set my crossover on my sub to 50HZ or 150HZ?

Bronze Member
Username: Miso

Slovakia

Post Number: 22
we don't know what is"as much bass as possible"for you,just set it at 50hz then 100hz and 150hz-which sounds best is up to you.Remember lower you go more power is needed,so just increase volume (on sub)as you decrease freq. play with it for awhile-noneed to understand all hz,db's,slopes,watt's,etc...:-)))

Silver Member

Post Number: 120
If your "other speaker" goes down to 50Hz as you said above, try a setting between 60-80Hz.

Bronze Member

Lakewood, CA USA

Post Number: 90
If your use the LFE,the x over,hpf doest effect the sub,its done through the reciever. The x over cuts the LFE from your mains over to the sub. So if you set the x over through your reciever at 80,thats where it gets cut so the sub takes over.

Silver Member

Post Number: 121
Yep, on some subwoofers, besides the normal Line-In connector, there is an LFE-In which bypasses the built-in crossover because the LFE signal would go as high as 120Hz. Some subwoofers have only a Line-In but they also give you a switch to enable/disable the crossover depending on whether you want to use the sub for LFE or subwoofer signal.

If you use bass management on the receiver by setting any speaker to small, the low pass filter on the receiver will be engaged automatically so you'll need to set the cutoff frequency from the receiver. In this case, if your sub doesn't have an LFE-In, it's better to set the crossover setting on the sub to its max.

Anonymous

i have a question too.. on my receiver the crossover can only go down to 50hz, then 80, then 120, 150, 200hz.. if i set it down to 50hz, u can barely hear the subwoofer at all.. if u set it to 80hz it sounds good.. if you put it to 120 it sounds even more deep..

i find this odd that setting the frequency higher made it sound deeper... whats the deal?

Bronze Member

Lakewood, CA USA

Post Number: 92
Speakers to small,sub to yes,x over on 80Hz,hooking up through the LFE,if you sub has a LPF,turn all the way up and if it has a volume,turn it all the way up. Now set your level to each speaker and add 5-10db for the sub. Is that what you did?

Anonymous

no, all speakers set to large, reciever set to plus. instead of yes, because yes is just too low. used the MCACC to calobrate it all. sub still sounds deeper and louder at 100-120-150.. and sounds quieter at 50hz. im lost i tell ya..

subwoofer is a paradigm, and the receiver is a pioneer 1014.

Bronze Member

Lakewood, CA USA

Post Number: 97
1. Is it hooked up with the LFE?
2. Whats the volume set on the sub?
3. Did you set each speaker level and sub with a RS spl?
4.?

Anonymous

1. yes it is
2. half way
3. set it by useing the MCACC

Bronze Member

Lakewood, CA USA

Post Number: 98
Dont use auto setup,do it yourself and dont use the eq,turn it off. Are they set to large because when you did it through mcacc it set the speakers to lg? My denon did,set my fronts to lg and the level and distence was off. I turned to volume up all the way on the sub,then set it,the volume through the level in the reciever.

Anonymous

Yes the receiver set them to large. Because they are all large. the level and distence is all set and everything. so what should i do. turn the volume all the way up on my sub, then what do i set on the receiver?

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2250
The setting on the xover is a starting point to where the sub starts to make sound.

If you set the xover to 50hz the sub only plays frequemcies from 50hz on down.

If you set the xover to 150hz now the sub plays frequencies from 150hz on down.

So by setting the xover to 150hz now the sub plays more frequencies.
150hz-140hz-130hz-120hz-110hz-100hz-90hz-80hz all the way down as low as it will go.

If you set the xover to 50hz now the sub plays less frequencies.
50hz-40hz-30hz and down to as low as it can go.

Both settings let the sub go as low as it can but 150 starts the sub playing
sounds from 150hz all the way down to as low as it can go.

So you hear more frequencies from the sub by setting higher so it will be louder!

And you hear less frequencies from the sub if you set it lower so it will be quiter!

Frequencies from about 50hz on down are more felt then heard.
Where you really start hearing frequencies as bass are from about 50hz on up.
So naturally the sub will give more bass as you set the xover higher.

Does that help explain it?

Anonymous

yes kegger thank you 100%. i have paradigm legends for the fronts, but ther is just not enough bass when its at 50hz..

Silver Member

Lakewood, CA USA

Post Number: 102
I dont care if they are the size of your house,set them to small. Your fronts still carry bass to the x over. One more time,do not use auto setup. Do it yourself with a tape measure and a meter. Set the x over in the reciever at 60 or 80 "IF" your running through the LFE. Turn the volume up on the sub "THEN" do your setting through the reciever. You know,not everything has a lot of bass and at 50 if the bass isnt enough,turn it up on the sub a little if its not already maxed.

Anonymous

ok theres a couple things im not understanding here. ur saying set the receiver to 60 or 80 if im running through the LFE.. Isnt there only 1 way to connect a sub to the receiver? The subwoofer out on the receiver, to the sub.. thats how i did it.. so im not getting what you mean. whats the other way? so ill turn the volume up on my sub ok, and then ill see how it goes.

Silver Member

Lakewood, CA USA

Post Number: 104
No. You run the LFE anbd you dont use the filter on the sum. You run your speakers through the sub,speaker wires to sub,sub to reciecer and then you use the subs filter. You should be running the single cable,the LFE.

Anonymous

ok, i am running the speakers through the receiver, NOT through the sub. and yes 1 single cable is going to the sub and the receiver.

Silver Member

Lakewood, CA USA

Post Number: 108
So what have you done and how is it sounding?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us