Which better - DEFINITIVE BP8 Bipolar v.s. PARADIGM STUDIO 60 ?

Bronze Member
Username: Look4sun

Post Number: 30
Hello guys,
I want to ask yr opinion on DEFINITIVE BP8 Bipolar Speaker - or any series on this DEFINITIVE speaker.
Does anybody has experience on this speaker ?
My local sales person keep pushing and recommend this speaker. They said this DEFINITIVE will sound good even on MUSIC and HOME THEATRE.
And even they can quarantee/claim this speakers better than the PARADIGM STUDIO 60 and PSB IMAGE Series.
Is this true ?
I really welcome yr opinions since I rarely found in this forum talking about DEFINITIVE.
Thanks.
sun

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2562
I like the Definitive BP8, but whether or not it is better than the Paradigm Studio 60, is a matter of opinion and preference.
Now if they can guarantee that one is better than the other, I'd have them put it down in writing, because if you found that the claim is something you don't agree with, then you can get your money back and have free speakers.
Try them both out in your home and see if the guarantee will be backed up.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
Thanks, Berny.
I know we must audience both speakers first and trust our ears.
However, I need some feedback on your guys experience on these speakers.
On addition, my local store don't permit me to test this speaker on my home, but only on their store. Sometimes, I think sound on their showroom will different if we put in our room. Room acoustic and treatment maybe are reason for these.

Any other experience or opinion ???

thanks again

RMS
Unregistered guest
I personally don't care for def techs bipolar speakers. When I auditioned them I felt something was missing, the mid range seemed off to my ears. And this from someone who really wanted to like the def techs as I had previously set my heart on the discontinued (sometime ago) Audissey series from Energy.

I now plan to purchase the Studio 100's within the next couple months. Just waiting to pick out the rest of the equipment and furnishings for the living/theater room.

I wouldn't purchase anything from a store that will not allow you to purchase equipment and then return it for a full refund if you're unhappy with the stuff in your home. A room's acoustics will play a big part in a speakers sound. This is possibly even more important with a bipolar speaker which requires at least 18 inches of space between the back of the speaker and the wall to allow the sound to bounce off the real wall to you r ear.

While def tech makes a fine speaker (lots of good reviews, etc) it sounds to me like your dealer is trying to push you into them because that's what they sell.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2589
I agree, they did say they can guarantee you'd like them better!

rayt
Unregistered guest
I've heard the Def Tech speakers and they didn't do much for me either. I think the Paradigms are less harsh sounding, and have a better tonal balance.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
Thank you all guys.
For RMS, you said you plan to afford the Paradigm Studio 100 in near time. What speaker are you currently use now ? Is it Paradigm Studio 60 ?
If yes, what's yr experience with this Studio 60 ?
Thanks

RMS
Unregistered guest
I just have a cheap kenwood setup right now. Bought it a few years ago when I first moved into my house. It was all I could afford at the time and the sound while pretty rotten (comparatively speaking) it was still better than the TV speakers.

I've been doing a fair bit of listening the last many years which hasn't turned out to be a good thing since a few speakers I liked have been discountinued. But then again, I may not have listened to the Studio series if I had purchased something sooner.

I've been comparing the 60's to the 100s and while I want to do a bit more critcal listening I liked the extra low end of the 100's. I felt as if the extra low end made the speaker put out the type of sound I expected to hear if I was sitting infront of a band or singer. This was done without the use of a sub, so incorporating a sub could possibly eliminate the differences a bit. I don't plan to use a sub when I listen to music.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
Thanks all for yr opinions.
Seem there are a little fans on the DefinitiveTech speaker here.
So, there is no wrong on my choice in selecting the Paradigm Studio 60 over the DefinitiveTech.
Are you agree on my decision ?

Bronze Member
Username: Gio

Post Number: 39
The Studio 60s are great speakers. If you like them, certainly no wrong there.

SumDumGuy
Unregistered guest
The Studio 60s are one of, if not, the best pair of speakers for the money. Paradigm in general makes a fantastic product and extensive R&D goes into all of their speaker lines. While the Definitives are a good choice as well, dollar for dollar, the Studio 60s won't leave you disappointed, and many reviews will say the Paradigms are easily worth 2 - 3x as much as they retail for.

Because of their lower price point, people don't generally consider Paradigm a high-end player in the speaker market, but this couldn't be further from the truth. At any given price point, Paradigm can easily go shot for shot with any speaker out there. As long as your amp / receiver can feed the Paradigms clean, high current power, you're set.

Anonymous

If you really wont a ood speaker for the price you should go with the energy c5's

Username: Delsole

Post Number: 6
or c7's and the best c9's for the paradigm price range

Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1
I would have to agree with the last post. Paradigm can go toe to toe with any speaker at a given price point. I have owned speakers many manufacturers including Magnepan and Paradigm and I have owned Paradigms in all lines; Performance (Esprits and Atoms), Monitors (Mini Monitors, 3's and 5's) and reference (Studio 20's, 40's, and 60's) and they have all been in my opinion the best in their price range. Bradford's Home Entertainment in Eugene Oregon where I bought my last set of home theater speakers (all Paradigm Monitor series) used to carry Def Tech but dropped them as they could not compete with Paradigm. They replaced Def Tech with B&W. I am at work and must get off the computer.

Anonymous

i would go with the studio 60's

but if u r lookin for a good speaker take a look at the energy c9's

Anonymous

i would go with the studio 60's

but if u r lookin for a good speaker take a look at the energy c9's

mauimusicman
Unregistered guest
RMS said "I personally don't care for def techs bipolar speakers. When I auditioned them I felt something was missing, the mid range seemed off to my ears. And this from someone who really wanted to like the def techs"
BINGO! You hit it right on the head. You may or may not know WHY they mess up the mid/high frequencies though. It's called phase shift, and it's pretty audable, yeah guys? And reducing that phase shift as much as possible is what Green Mountain Audio speakers are all about. Brings you closer to the artists musical intent. If you get a chance to hear them, do so.

Bronze Member
Username: Cornelius

Post Number: 92
Time/phase coherence is key.

mauimusicman
Unregistered guest
Cornilius hit it dead on
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us