Basic CD player Question

Username: Denali

Post Number: 1
OK, now I've read up online on cd players. Am I correct in saying that there is no remarkable differenc in sound quality between high end and regular cd players? I was thinking of upgrading my 6 year old sony carousel with digital out, to something better. If there is no real difference, why the huge price gap?

Bronze Member
Username: Tevo

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 72
Personally, I find the source has a significant impact on sonic performance.

I've found mass market digital sources generally are unnaturally sibilant (excessive emphasis on "s" sounds). They are also somewhat lacking in resolution, warmth and dynamics.

This said, one has to have sufficiently transparent and detailed components downstream before the "problems" become fully realized.

Just my 2/100ths USD.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for your thoughts. Im running it through an Onkyo 502 Rec., with Tannoy Fusion spkrs. Would I notice an upgrade?

Bronze Member
Username: Tevo

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 74
I'm afraid I am not familiar with either of those brands.

Perhaps other posters might chime in?

Bronze Member
Username: Alexfromholland

Post Number: 34
Hi,

Onkyo receiver with Tannoy spkrs should be fine. You should definitively try a decent CD-player and you'll hear the difference. Try a marantz, or Harman/Kardon, or if you really want it all try a NAD (C542 or C541). The sound you hear is much more sophisticated than you ever could imagine from a normal CD. Before I bought the NAD, I was thinking to upgrade to a SACD or DVD-audio, but that thought was gone as soon as I listened to my 'old' CD's .

Alex

Alex

Post Number: 3
OK, thanks. I'm trying to decide between Marantz and Denon which I have narrowed down to. Both are the barebone for each manufacturer. I'm leaning towards Denon, it is 70-80$ less.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us