HK 4550 VS Yamaha 740

Username: Jgl69163

Post Number: 1
Hi:

Sorry for my bad english (I'm spanish).
I want buy a receiver (50/50) (music/movies).
I have a Jmlab 820 loudspeakers. Can you tell me what receiver it's better?? Hk 4550 or Yamaha 740.

Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 13
Hi, nice to meet other people from this side of the Atlantic, I'm from Finland. Yo hablo un poco español :-)

I've been looking for a new receiver of that class, and I think the AVR4550 (AVR325 for you US guys) is a great machine for the price. I can find it for 550-650 euros, wich is about the same price I should pay for let's say NAD T743, new HK AVR230 or Marantz SR4400.

I just read a review about ~1000 euro (retail price) receivers and the H/K was quite good. They said it had more punch and power than the 1500 euro Pioneer VSX-AX5i (some Elite model in US, firewire/ilink) and it had no problem with 2 Ohm speakers. The HK sound is warm and very unirritating unlike Yamaha or older Sonys. Though it is not as detailed as Pioneer Elite or Marantz. Marantz SR6300 won the test, with Pioneer VSX-AX3 second.

Yamaha 740 is the same as 640 but with OSD, phono-preamp and some inflated watts of more power. All in all the lower quality Yamahas are underpowered, bright and cold sounding receivers wich are not worth buying. They are only suitable in small rooms with 8 Ohm warm sounding speakers. I haven't heard Jmlab so i havent an opinion about them.

Go for the H/K or maybe Marantz or NAD because you also listen so much music.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us