Vintage Yamaha Stereo Receiver CR-66II

Username: Vintagestuff

Post Number: 1
I've got an old yamaha receiver that i have been using since the 80's. i know i know - get with the times but honestly i love this receiver! the knobs have a great weightiness that i truly appreciate. the design is still timeless. so i hope someone can answer this question bc i'd hate to have to replace it: the problem is that the sounds emitting from the speakers (bose) gradually became quite static-y - and now the sounds are permanently fuzzy esp when it comes to bass. i've surmised that it's something to do with the speaker lines in the receiver b/c when i listen through my headphones only - it sounds fine. however if i press the speakers A & B buttons on - the static comes right back, even through the headphones. what can i do about this that doesn't involve chucking this faithful receiver?

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 344
Send her in for repairs, I'm sure a few new caps, etc. would fix the problem - they don't make things like they used to - ie to last. Problem will be finding parts, so look for a shop that either carries or specializes in vintage products.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

It's possible with the Yamaha, and most other receivers from this period, the speaker switches are oxidized and need cleaning. There could also be a bad solder joint in the path around the switch or a cracked PC board. Static from the speakers but not the headphones indicates a not too serious problem. It would be wise to take the receiver in for that 100,000 mile tune up.

Jayb
Unregistered guest
Hey J. just wondering what model Bose are you running.

WD40 salesman
Unregistered guest
A spray of WD40 into the speaker selector switches may do the trick!

Username: Vintagestuff

Post Number: 2
wow! thanks for all the help so far. i think you're all right - i should probably take it in for a tune up. about my bose speakers, they're an old set of 201 Series II. they sound great when their isn't static coming out of it. would that be a factor?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us