Help w/ Subwoofer

Mike-Jose
Unregistered guest
I need help in deciding if I need a subwoofer for my system and which one's I should look at if I do need one.
From the beginning- I bought a set of Infinity RS 7 kappas back in the late 80's or early 90's. I picked these speakers because they are acoustic suspension speakers as opposed to the more common base reflex design (while they are not very efficient, they provide an extremely detailed sound)
Recently, I decided to go from stereo to a HT system. I bought an Onkyo 801 (I know, but I liked how it sounded after demoing several recievers at home.) I found the bookshelf speakers (RS 5 kappas) and center channel to go with them (kappa video series II) on ebay and had them professionally rebuilt to like new condition. I have found I use my system 2/3 for movies/TV and 1/3 for music. It is my understanding that the sub is most useful for adding some punch to movies; but I am afraid that it would add too much base to music for me.

Is there a way to set it up to only use the sub for movies?
Am I off base thinking a sub would make music more base biased?
Is there a sub out there that is more suited for a acoustic suspension set up?

**I do realize a lot of this is personal and I will have to take a couple for a test drive (if I even need a sub) Just want to see what you guys think to help narrow down the scope of my search.

Silver Member
Username: Shokhead

Lakewood, CA USA

Post Number: 118
Get a sub and you'll never not us it. Dont get a cheap one though. I just got a SVS 20-39pc fot 600 bucks and it is without a doubt for music and movies,the WOW factor.

Mike-Jose
Unregistered guest
can anyone make a recomendation on some models I should consider?

Silver Member

Lakewood, CA USA

Post Number: 119
SVS 25-31pci or try HSU sub's.

Mike-Jose
Unregistered guest
is SVS and HSU the brand name or part of the model number?
Any idea where I might find these brands to listen to them (a 'higher end chain' like Ultimate electronics or only a audio boutique)

Also, are they available online for a discount?

Thanks for the suggestions

Silver Member

Lakewood, CA USA

Post Number: 120
SVS and HSU are online retailers . Lots of reviews of both on this site.

edster922
Unregistered guest
I agree with DS: getting a sub is like having sex for the first time, you wonder how you ever got up in the morning without it! : )

> is there a way to set it up to only use the sub for movies?

Very simple. Your Onkyo has a "pure direct" mode which will play your music w/o any processing and w/o the subwoofer. Also, you could just turn the sub off when listening to music.

> Am I off base thinking a sub would make music more base biased?

Not unless you want it that way. All subs have their own volume and cross-over adjustments, plus your receiver has its own cross-over adjustment.

Aside from SVS and HSU, the other specialized subwoofer manufacturer is Velodyne which you *can* find in stores but you'll get much more bang for your buck with the first 2. For a quick rundown of the different HSU models and what they're designed for, go to:

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/subs/subintro.html

Mike-Jose
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the recomendations,
Last question- What do I get as i spend more $ with HSU; better sound, the ability to play louder, or both? I am not opposed to spending more $ for better equiptment, just don't want to chase good $ with bad. I rarely 'crank' my system up; typically it is on for background music or to watck TV/Movies with the wife.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 404
A good sub will provide an even bass response across all frequencies at low or high volumes. A lot of subs will sound better at different volumes. As well a lot of subs will struggle to play some notes or will have all notes sound the same.

This sub will not disappoint for the price:

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pb10_isd.htm

Silver Member

Lakewood, CA USA

Post Number: 121
Something like the SVS 25-31pci will play down to 25Hz at about 105db or so. There is still info below 25 but something like 95% is 25Hz and above. I've only checked out the SVS cylinder subs but many have the cube and like them as well as they do with HSU but i havent really checked there stuff that much. The more you spend,the lower and louder more or less. Some subs come with the amp seperate but i perfer it builtin. Dont get a passive,that one your reciever needs to power it. Most arent but theres still afew out there.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 317
no comment:-)

Mike-Jose
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the input. I will report back after I make a purchase and install it.

Silver Member

Lakewood, CA USA

Post Number: 124
Go ahead Paul,we want to hear from you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us