Speaker suggestions for Sony 5000ES receiver.

Andrew Morris
Unregistered guest
I am likely going to buy a Sony 5000ES receiver, primarily because it has all the "specs" I want and I can get it for about 50% off through my Dad (a Sony employee).

With that said, it has been a long time since I bought speakers and I would appreciate any suggestions...

I live on O'ahu and I have discovered that fine audio store displays are few and far between, so I do not have the opportunity to listen to many brands and or speaker/receiver combinations.

The only high-end store I have found so far sells Sony and Panasonic receivers with B&W, Martin and Short, and Monitor speakers primarily.

I have really enjoyed reading these forums while doing my research, so I thought I would ask a question of my own.

Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1956
Have you listened to any of these speakers?
I haven't heard of a Martin & short speakers, are they a collaboration of Martin Logan and Mordaunt Short?
I like the Monitor Audio with Sony ES line, but your tastes may be different.

Andrew Morris
Unregistered guest
Berny,
Perhaps Mordaunt Short is the appropriate name and I misheard the sales rep - never heard of either before so I am not surprised I misheard him. Silly me...

I listened to the B&W 600, 700, and 800 speakers extensively today (all through Sony receivers). I also listened to a few Monitor sets.

All the B&Ws sounded fantastic, especially the 800s - phenominal, but way outside my price range. Between the 600 and 700 series I really liked the 703's, with the very crisp, clarified mid range and the not-too-overpowering-but still well-defined bass range. The 600s were very nice too with less clarity in the mids and highs, and a more...garish, make-the-room-shake bass that, I think, was a little overpowering and took away from the overall quality. I played a wide range of my own music including Medeski, Martin and Wood; Beastie Boys; Elvis Costello; Stevie Wonder, and Nine Inch Nails. A suitable sampling of musical styles I think? The range of music really brought out the best and worst of each speaker set.

The small bookshelf Monitors I listened too were nice also, edging out the 600s overall, but not nearly as nice as the 703s.

If I had to choose from what I have listended to so far, I was thinking of getting the 703's, and then maybe bookshelf 600s or Monitors, a subwoofer and a center channel to round out the surround sound home theater suite.

Any thoughts?

Andrew Morris
Unregistered guest
Also, any opinions on Axiom speakers...appears a number of people on this forum favor them, but I am a little hesitant going mail order - even though they have a 30 day return policy.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1971
The Axioms are an absolute gem and I am one of those who favor them, but I also favor Athena, MA silver and gold, Paradigms, Martin Logan, Klipsch RF series, Ascend Acoustics.

I, too am leery of mail order but I haven't had any problems with the Axioms.

Glad to see you are out there listening to speakers using your own music. It makes for a better evaluation of the sound that you know is there rather than a "demo" disc.

Keep us posted on what you decide. It's always nice to see what people end up liking:-)

armchairmanoftheboard
Unregistered guest
I am interested in the Sony 5000 or 1000ES so I came here. I will end up answering a question on speakers. First, I have not been a big fan of Sony amplification but the unit does have the 5.1 and 7.1 extra inputs I would need to add my Fosgate 3A surround processor and the output of a SACD DVD audio combi player. I will be using 3 sets of Onkyo M504 Stereo amps for power. I have all B&W 600 series speakers right now with the Onkyo amps and I love the sound. I actually sold all my Klipsch Speakers (maybe I just wanted a change) and got B&W's. I did have K-horns, LaScalas, and Heresy rears. The 640's have the cleanest most accurate sound I have heard and it may be because of the .003 THD of the amps at 165 watts per channel. I had Klipsch for 2 decades and I think I will be enjoying B&W's longer. I think I may upgrade my center channel ccs600 to a Nautilus because no-one is ever satisfied. Thanks, hope you get a good system.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 197
The ES line at half price makes them worthwhile. I personally find them overpriced for what you get. It sounds like power shoudn't be an issue. I would suggest Denon over Sony for what you're looking for.

Andrew Morris
Unregistered guest
Update...listened to Klipsch, PSB, and Definitive speakers on Denon and NAD receiver sets; also listened to Monitor Audio S10s and B&W 703's in a head-to-head on a Sony ES receiver.

Also listened to every mass-market brand sold by Circuit City-type stores (low-end Infinitys, etc.). No were contenders to the above, higher-end speakers.

Opinions: With the Definitive (7001 series, if I remember correctly - tall dipolar floor stander with "super cube" 10" sub), Klipsch, and PSB going head to head, the Definitives clearly won. The Klipsch were what I would call garishly bright to the point of becoming irritating. PSB - too bassy (thumpy and woofy) with a muddled high end. Definitives - well balanced range, though weaker vocals than B&Ws - intense room filling sound (though the dipolar speakers would not work well in my small condo; too little space).

The Monitor S10s and the B&W 703s were a real close match, though the 703's won out at higher volumes (where the S10s bass overwhelmed the high end) and at lower volumes where the incredible clarity of the B&Ws came through. In the middle, it all depended on the kind of music I was listening too. All-in-all, with a few bass equalizer adjustments for certain kinds of music the B&Ws won, despite the extra $1000 for the pair over the S10s.

Plus they sounded great coming through the ES receiver that I can get for half off.

Only one dealer left to shop at who wants to show me a bunch of stuff including the Gallo Nucleus Reference 3 speakers...should be interesting.

CD
Unregistered guest
I listened to B&W 600-800, Dynaaudio (awesome)but exspensive, Kef , Def Techs , PSB, and Paradigm Ref.I thought the Paradigm was the best match with the Sony es 5000. Can't go wrong with the B&W , or the Dyns either. THEY ARE INCREDIBLE. Denon 3805 just didn't do it for me . It's all a personal thing . Happy hunting.

CD
Unregistered guest
I listened to B&W 600-800, Dynaaudio (awesome)but exspensive, Kef , Def Techs , PSB, and Paradigm Ref.I thought the Paradigm was the best match with the Sony es 5000. Can't go wrong with the B&W , or the Dyns either. THEY ARE INCREDIBLE. Denon 3805 just didn't do it for me . It's all a personal thing . Happy hunting.

Andrew Morris
Unregistered guest
Haven't listened to Dynaaudio's or Kef's (or heard a lot about them). Heard a lot of great reviews for Paradigm's; however, no show rooms here on O'ahu have any I can listen to. The search continues...

jimvm
Unregistered guest
Last year in my hunt for new speakers, I eventually narrowed it down to the Paradigm Reference Studio 20's. The store where I ended up purchasing them had them hooked up to a Sony 5000 ES and they sounded great together. Sony wasn't on my short list for receivers, so I wasn't interested in the 5000ES, but it seemed like a good pairing with Paradigm.

You could always shoot off an e-mail to techsup@paradigm.ca and ask them where your closest dealer is. According to their website, they don't have one on the islands, but if you're not in a great hurry and make it to the mainland once in a while -- well, it's a thought.

I also auditioned the B&W 705s. They were mated to a Rotel receiver and were the speakers I drooled over but couldn't afford.

Good luck!

Anonymous

Hi Andrew,Sony employees don't get 50% off.
Go ask your dad and find out the truth.

Andrew Morris
Unregistered guest
Hi anonymous. Whatever you may think, I got my 5000ES for ~$550 - retail $1500.

Competetiv Discount
Unregistered guest
Hi Andrew,

I'm using "Canton" speakers with my 5000ES in 7.1 configuration,(4xS8DC, 1xCS4, 2xS1 and 1xAS200SC). I'm really satisfied with them. Prior to purchase i did listen to Mordaunt-Short, B&W, SA (System Audio) and so on, but finally I decided for the Canton's, Please note these speakers need about 200 hours of "Breaking In", further more you also need to set-up the speaker levels with a good decibel gauge.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us