Is Nad T-763 a good receiver to drive Paradigm studio 100 speakers?

Username: Helter

Post Number: 1
I'm looking to upgrade my Paradigm monitor 7's with Studio 100's. I really don't want to go with the expense of a pre-amp like they have at the dealers with the foor model. Will this receiver have enough power to make these speakers sound great.

Thanks for your help

Username: Hawk

Jeff:

Can't get much better than an NAD T763 with Paradigm Studio 100 speakers. That is an awesome combo.

I have a 753 and I home tested a pair of Monitor 5s last week--the combination of an NAD amp with Paradigm speakers is simply wonderful, IMO.

Username: Helter

Post Number: 2
Hawk, thanks to you and others I was able to discover how great a match Nad/Paradigm are. But the dealer told me to get the best out of the 100's you really need a Pre-amp/amp set up. Is the 100 the best choice for this receiver or would something else in the paradigm line be a better choice. I want to make the best long term decision and since I just paid $1200 for this receiver I don't want to make any changes on that end. Thanks for any input you can provide.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 258
Jeff,
I would highly consider the Studio 60.IMO this is the real star of the Studio line [love the 40 also]. I think the 60's would be a perfect match with the 763. I have not heard that combo but have heard the 60's with the 762 and it was wonderful. For the price and size the 60's are a real bargain.

Username: Skelter

Had trouble posting so changed my name
To make a long story short.

I upgraded to the Studio 100's

Unfortunatly, the Nad T-763 receiver when playing movies at +1db's goes into protection mode during loud crashes or bombs etc that raise the volume.

The dealer is letting me upgrade to separates but they don't stock the Nad 162/973.
If I can't get this unit is their another brand that sounds as good as the Nad. I know they stock Parasound but I'm not sure what other brands I will be going there in a couple of days to find out.

thanks

jeff copeland

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 264
I would seriously consider giving the Outlaw seperates a try. I think they would match well with your Paradigms and for $1598 the price is right. 30 day in home trial and if you don't like them you cna send them back. Sorry to hear that the 763 kicks out at high volume but +1 seems a bit too loud to me.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 277
That is loud, although I accidentally had my Pioneer Elite 49TXi up at +5 the other day when I was watching Martin Scorcese's great film of "The Band's" last concert at Winterland in San Francisco called--"The Last Waltz".

I went to the phone and thought I was turning it down at a spot and accidentally fired it up to +5 on the Monitor Audio GR10's. It almost made my ear drums pop. Suprisingly, it wasn't distorting or anything---it was just way passed the point of enjoyment into the realm of feeling I was too close to a stack of Marshall amps. And I do love loud music.

Anyway, Elitefan's suggestion is excellent. That Outlaw combo is one of the great bargains and performers at its price point in the A/V world. An NAD lover should love Outlaw Audio, as they take a similar philosophy into the business. Outlaw Audio is definitely a--"Great performance without many bells and whistles for a great price" kind of company.

Silver Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 396
robert:

I would agree with elitefan and G-Man, both of whome are very knowledgeable, about looking into the Outlaws. However, I would not bother with the 7100, which I find to be rather cool and a tad "clinical" sounding and does not sound like the NADs. Go up to the Outlaw 755, which has far more power if you are going that direction. It has a much warmer sound than the 7100 that I think you would like much better.

However, before you do that, I would suggest trying an outboard NAD C270 amplifier to drive those Paradigm 100s. It is a two channel amp with 120 wpc which could drive your mains, leaving the 763 to drive the remaining channels. Now the 763 has a great pre/pro section that can be the basis of a superb system--all you really need is more power for those beautiful new speakers. By getting an outboard amp for the 100s, you will have the necessary power for the mains and it will relieve your receiver of the need to drive the mains leaving much more power for the remaining channels it is driving. I think it will do the trick and will save you quite a bit of money as I believe it is being closed out for $399. So try it before sinking a lot of money into all new electronics--see if you can try one at home. If it doesn't work, then you can go to plan B.

BTW, Parasound makes wonderful gear, particularly their "Halo" line. However, a Halo pre/pro starts at about $3K and a five channel Parasound Halo amp start at $2K. There is a good two channel Halo amp (125 wpc), the A23, which goes for about $850. It is a very good amp.

Good luck!

Post Number: 2
I have a very large room with 10 Ft ceilings so +1 isn't that loud. Although, you can't really FEEL the explosions in Saving Private Ryan unless you have it cranked up :-)
This store does not carry the Outlaw. However, after my conversation with the owner my salesman told me he doesn't know what they carry and it turns out they do have 162/973 for sale and in stock. I love the Nad sound so I'm going to give that a listen tommorrow.
If I buy it, I'm not sure if I will have enough money for food but at least I will have a great sound system.

Silver Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 398
Now that is the voice of a real audiophile! Welcome to the club.

Keep us posted.

Silver Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 307
Robert,

There is something wrong with a T763 that fails to drive Paradigm Studio 100 speakers. They are 8 Ohm, 91 dB (room)/ 88 dB (anechoic). Can't see the problem. Awesome specification, of course! But the T763 should have plenty of power.

My KEFs are the same sensitivity and impedence (thought not bass extension), and I have no problem with an older T760 giving a mere 5 x 60W. Our room is L-shaped. The listening area is about 13' x 13', with a V-ceiling going from about 8' to an apex at 16'. I routinely play DVD-Vs with Dolby Digital and DVD-As in DTS at +10 dB. I don't think I am particularly deaf. I often wonder when I read people describing +1 dB as "loud". I'll have to get a SPL meter.

But what a fabulous prospective system. Yes, please post back on how it sounds. Food. Life always offers compromise.

Silver Member

Post Number: 308
Prompted by my puzzling about other people's dB values, I go back to my speaker literature and discover, to my surprise, they are rated 85 dB (anechoic). So that explains my need to go to higher gain values than most. They are also 4 Ohms, not 8. Sorry about that. Still, I get magnificent volumes with no sweat (or clipping) from a receiver with just over half the power of a T763.

Post Number: 3
I picked up the Nad 163/973 today. $2900 ouch.
The only thing I didn't like was the box had been opened previously on the 163.
It was the only one in stock, but appeared to be in mint condition.
When I purchased the Studio 100's at a different dealer the salesman told me I should really have separates for those speakers. He was right.
The volume level on DVD's like Saving Private Ryan go up and down in extreme amounts. It's during the really loud moments that the 763 appears to run out of gas.
Today, I tested the same movies with the 163/973 with no problems at all.
Be prepared to spend an additional $150.00 in monster cable connecting the two units.
So far I highly recommend this Amp/preamp.
I also looked at the Parasound separates while I was there but pulled myself away before I spent anymore money. :-)

brett pinkstone
Unregistered guest
march 2004, Newcastle Australia.
Gday all, love the conversation here, very informative. im an amateur close to buying T752 maybe T753 if worth the extra dollars. $1200 v $1800. (bearing in mind 10 aussie dollars might get me a beer in England or Canada. like the sound and power of nad but concerned about glitches.
keep up the unbiased, honest sledging. go wallabies!

Silver Member

Post Number: 325
Brett,

The T753 is the T752 but with the total max power distributed to more channels, so it honestly 70 W/ch instead of 80 W/ch. I think this will make no audible difference under most circumstances, certainly not in stereo or 5.1. There are a few other extras such as a computer RS232 port but I would not pay money for that, personally. With the difference you could get an ace DVD-player, some extra speakers. Or 60 cold beers...

I am not convinced there is real need for more channels than 5.1, but clearly there is a market, so someone must be.

Unregistered guest
How will the NAD 763 work with Studio 60's as opposed to the 100's? Anyone had any problems with that? If so maybe Ill just stick with the monitor variety, but I really do like the Studio 60's. Also, I was hoping that someone could help me with this.

I was comparing the NAD 763 with the new Denon 3805. Now I am really looking to this system for home theater (DVD's), but I noticed that the 763 has only 50 MHz of bandwidth for the component video where the 3805 has 100 MHz of bandwidth. Can anyone explain what the difference will mean?

Thanks

Unregistered guest
thanks John, i reckon 5 speakers is quite enough. As you havent alluded that the 753 is superior in build quality, reliability etc ill be going out next week and spending my hard earned on the 752.
i love its simplicity and sound.
oh yeah, my speakers are Jamo's rated at 6 ohms. this wont be a drama will it?

sorry Mat, i cant help ya.

Silver Member

Post Number: 351
Brett,

It will even drive four Ohm speakers. Six Ohms, no worries. I agree 5.1 is enough channels. Let us know how you get on.

Silver Member

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 291
As 720p or 1080i require 37 mhz for complete delivery, the NAD should be fine at 50 mHz. Of course, there are those that believe having twice the needed mHz is better. Maybe it is similar to having more wattage than necessary for transient bursts or other anomalies.

Now if you were waiting to get the new Intel LCOS chips that will have up to 1980 x 1280 the 100 mHz would definitely be a good idea.

I am waiting for those Intel's to be installed by some HDTV manufacturers--either the end of this year or the beginning of next.

Currently I directly hook my dvd player to the tv. I'd rather have the slight inconvenience of using another remote than the possibility of passing the signal through more circuitry. I just pass the audio section diretly into the receiver--video directly to the tv.

After one adjusts the HDTV, or better yet, has an ISF certified technician dial it in properly, I see no reason (other than convenience) to not hook up all video sources directly to the HDTV. Whether over the air sources, cable sources, DirecTV sources, or DVD. The main thing is to buy a good HDTV with enough high grade connections--such as fire wire, DVI (or better yet--HDMI, component, etc.

More and more high quality HDTV separate box receivers are being made with two way firewire connections, as are newer HDTV's. As firewire can be daisy chained to about 80 devices with a 400 mHz bandwidth (800 mHz on the new firewire) it is a great transport. I would also make sure the HDTV has the new HDMI (which is like DVI with an 8 channel digital audio added). But DVI is fine, as the industry is always in flux.

Afterall--many of us will be buying blue laser DVD's in the not too distant future--UGGH!!!

There is no rest for the weary.

Silver Member

Post Number: 354
Surely you intended that one for another thread, Gregory? Easily done with the new layout here.

Silver Member

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 295
John A.----

Actually, Matt D. inquired about the the possible effect of 50 mHz or 100 mHz in component video processing on receivers that are equipped for HDTV. it is at the end of his post.

After I replied in the first paragraph I undoubtedly went into an unnecessary rant :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 355
Gregory,

Yes, I see. Sorry about that!

Following on, though, the conveniece of running everything through the receiver is also that you get the video and audio inputs and outputs matched, without thought or fumbling around. An all-in-one remote control is good to prevent the clutter, but it still leaves you with V and A out of kilter.

Having just discovered that we get a better picture with S-video than composite, I read about DVI and HDMI with awe. I have been checking out projectors recently. Even my local dealers don't seem to know about all-digital video connections, and component is regarded as the state of the art, one ahead of RGB SCART. (The NAD T533 DVD player introduces component video, with a fanfare, for the "Hi-end") Curiously the "affordable" DVI and HDMI projectors (Panasonic and Sony) are all LCD, so they are not truly digital at the end of the chain. You have to get into expensive stuff to get DVI with DLP. I should have thought it would be cheaper: no video DAC required in the player, nor video ADC in the projector.

I read there is an experimental HDTV station in the Netherlands somewhere, which broadcasts a few hours a week. Since no-one in Europe has HDTV, there is no demand, no revenue, and no stations. Yet Tokyo. Kyoto and Nagoya loads of competing terrestrial HDTV stations, apparently.

Sorry about my rant. I find the world a puzzling place. And it was a Scot who invented TV in the first place. I'm more into audio, anyway.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us