Pioneer Elite 45tx

sabertooth
Unregistered guest
I am trying to decide on which receiver to buy and I have been offered this receiver for U$625 with 2 years warranty. Anyone had any experiences with this. How does it compare with receivers from Denon say the 3803, or the Yamaha 2400.

Also I have heard of rumors of this amp shutting off in 8 or 6 ohms speaker load even in undemanding situations. Is there any truth to this.

So far, price wise, I think this is a very ideal amp. I wanted a warm sound not bright. I listen mostly to classical and jazz. I also want to use this amp for movies. I have 4 BW 602 s3 now for front and rear and LCR 600 for the center.

I need help on this amp.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 215
If you want a warmer sounding receiver go with the 45. I have had both the 3803[very bright] and currently have the 45 and love it. I have Monitor Audio speakers and it's a perfect combination. I have had this reciever playing at very loud levels inside a cabinet for several hours at a time and have never had any problems with it at all. I don't know what you have heard but not true in my experience and in fact this is the first mention of anything like that on this site at all. I can't recommend the Elite 45 highly enough. Truely great receiever with the right speakers.

sabertooth
Unregistered guest
thanks elitefan. The price i mentioned is new. Having that in mind, is it a good price? How about the performance with the B&Ws mentioned. Are they good match?

Hawk mentioned the sound of 45tx fuzzy, what does he mean by that?

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 217
The price seems fine and while the Elite and B&W are both on the warm side I think they would sound good together. It's not like the B&W's are as laid back as Paradigms. You will have to ask Hawk about his comment because I don't know what he means either and my 45 is not "fuzzy" at all.

Don
Unregistered guest
sabertooth,
The 45tx is not "fuzzy" (which I would take as "muddy" or undetailed.) In fact, it is one of the most detailed receivers in it's price range, which is $800 street. Since you can get a new 45tx for under $700 dollars it's really quite a great deal. I paid $775 for mine last fall. Comparing to your other choices I would recommend the Elite. The Yamaha is also extremely detailed, but is less warm than the Elite line (I would characterize the Elite as neutral). Also the Yamaha is not as powerful, which could come into play with a classical music dvd-a or sacd using a bass heavy organ for example. The Denon could fit the bill for you as well although I personally prefer both Pioneer Elite and Yamaha over the mid-line Denons.

sabertooth
Unregistered guest
Thanks much for the inputs. I have carefully inspected the 45tx in the shop and I am really impressed with the build quality. It seems robust and well made. I was able to check the 49tx as well and cant believe how big they are.

I have scratch denon aside since i am not that well impressed with the build quality as well as the sound when I auditioned it. I even like how the Yamaha 2400 sounded compared to the Denon.

Features for features, the yamaha and the elite are similar, but I have made my decision to get the elite. On my second visit to the shop, the clerk finally gave in and agreed to give me for U$ 579.00 which to me made it more attractive. It was late so I just paid for it and have to come to collect it tomorrow because they have to get the stock from their warehouse.

I hope I didnt make a mistake. I just went by my ear when I heard it in the shop and some recommendations of the guys here. I almost went with the 49tx but getting that more than quadruple the price which I thought is not wise at all although the remote for the 49txi is very nice.

Time to test a few SACDs and DVD audios I have. I starting to feel excited.

Thanks all.

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Post Number: 201
sabertooth: nice deal. I hate it when they have to get the stock from their remote warehouse! I thought they were lying, so I said "I'll pick it up myself!" So I drove 25 miles (across Houston, TX) to the warehouse, and voila! It was there!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us