Receiver For My Boston Acoustics (from a newbie)

Jason Hall
Unregistered guest
I recently received a pair of Boston Acoustics VR950s as a gift. I am looking to get a receiver to start me on my way to a home system. I will start out mostly music but want to use this as a basis to build a Home Theater in the future.

I was originally considering a Yamaha RX-V740 but was steered towards the Denon AVR-1804 because I was told I would get a warmer sound.

After thinking about future expansion to 7.1 and possibly getting video up-conversion, I was steered towards the Yamaha RX-V1400. I have a friend that has the Marantz SR7400 and loves it. I can currently get the SR7400 for the same price as the Yamaha 1400.

I have read and seen many of you are big on NAD receivers, but I have not seen any in my area (and am not looking to buy online).

Any suggestions for a receiver which will allow me plenty of room to upgrade and will match my speakers?

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Post Number: 241
Jason:

Just my 2 cents here, but I recall the Boston VR series is pretty forward and a bit on the bright side. I believe that is the model with the so-called "Lynnfield" tweeter which is pretty hot. Therefore, I would not get a Yamaha, which is also a bit forward--nor would I get a denon. I have the Denon 3803 and it is being retired.

No, I think your friend is on the money with the Marantz. Marantz is a very warm and just a bit laid back (not too laid back), which makes it a superb choice for your Bostons, IMO. Now, if you need to save a buck or two, check out the older SR7300 which the 7400 replaces. Many Marantz dealer still have them and you can usually get them for ~20% off, or about $699. Either Marantz would be a great match for your new speakers and would make a great springboard into Home Theater later on. You can always match your Bostons with other Bostons to fill out your system.

Good luck!

Jason Hall
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the info Hawk. I just demo'd the SR7400 and liked the sound. I need to go to another place that has both the SR7400 and RXV1400 to see if I can get a side by side demo. But, I am leaning towards the Marantz since I can get it for the same price.

Any recommendations for a good but not over the top sub?

Thanks for the help!

Silver Member

Post Number: 248
Jason:

What do you consider "over the top"?! LOL! ! ! You're not suggesting that we lack perspective with our hobby here, are you?

Seriously, though, there is no finer sub for the money than a Hsu Research. Check out the STF-2 sub, which would be a great match for your speakers for $399. check them out here:

http://www.hsuresearch.com/

Jason Hall
Unregistered guest
Hawk,

Haha - I just meant I did not want to drop $2000 on a sub when my speakers and receiver were far less. Thanks for the info - I'll check it out.

On another note - I'm picking up my 7400 tomorrow (my brother is getting one too). Thanks for all the help!

Username: Jasonhall

Post Number: 1
As an update - I picked up my 7400 two nights ago and got it hooked up to my speakers today. It sounds great! The dealer warned me it would be difficult to setup and configure (they were really pushing me hard towards the Yamaha RX-V1400) but I didn't find it difficult at all (and I have never set up any stereo more complicated than an old Aiwa NSX-5200 all in one mini-system).

Thanks Hawk and others who provided valuable advice and information!

Silver Member

Post Number: 287
Super, Jason! Congrats on the new system.

Enjoy!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us