Center channel speaker

fiddlyD
Unregistered guest
hello all...
this is my first time here and i need some help.
this is my setup:
Bose Acoutimass 15 series 2
Sony 945 reciever
Sony progressive dvd player(cant remember model)
Sony 36" tv
please dont flame me on the Bose but thats what i have.
I am palnning on upgrading to an Onkyo 702 reciever.
i want to move the front center cube to the rear center and want to get a new front center channel speaker to put ontop of the tv.
i was thinking the Bose vsc-10 but after reading alot of reviews i dont know if i want it.
what center do u guys recommend for this setup?
i dont want a big bulky box sitting ontop of the tv so lets keep it slim.
i really only use this system for movie watching no music playing.
thanks in advance.
fiddlyD

Bronze Member
Username: Usa2k4

Post Number: 67
Since the front center channel reproduces most of the dialogue from the movies and the front center channel speaker needs to be timbre matched with at least 2 front left & right speakers to provide a smooth transition for the front sound stage, why don't you just keep it as the front center speaker and use something else for the back surround speaker? It's nice to have all surround speakers from the same series made by the same company for voice matching but if you can't do so, you can use a speaker with at least the same frequency response as other ones for the back surround channel, which is not as critical as the front center speaker. Unless you want to replace that Bose center speaker with a better one and don't mind much about voice matching for the front sound stage. I do not hate Bose but I have never bought any speakers from Bose. I agree Bose speakers are overpriced but on top of that, I don't like to spend my hard-earned money on something that do not have specs.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 310
fiddlyD

If you intend to stick with the Bose Acoustimass 15 speaker set, then you should really stick to the same voice match and go with Bose. The Bose products all have common traits in how they sound so integration wuld be less of an issue with the VCS-10.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 126
I second Kevin J's suggestion. Use something else for the rear.

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 124
fiddlyD, if you still have to original box why dont you sell the bose speakers on ebay and get a better compact HTIB(HT in a box) system. velodyne sells one, klipsch has a couple just to name a few companies with decent HTIBs. you will be much happier with them than you bose.

fiddlyD
Unregistered guest
wow...you guys really hate Bose dont ya!!
i agree i think there is better out there.. i didnt buy them because of any advertisments or anything but i just like their compact size.
i personally havent heard better...but i also dont know any people who have better than what i got... anybody in NY who wants to give me an audition??
i wanted to change the center channel because to be honest with you...it doesnt sound good :-)
do u think the VSC-10 will sound better than the regular cubes center??

fiddlyD

gavincumm
Unregistered guest
honestly, if you want to find better than Bose, take a look at Paradigm. You can find a full out Paradigm home theatre system that will BLOW the bose away in every reguard possible for around $400. These systems will re-produce the mids that the bose are sorely lacking in.Not only that, they actually have a nice SUBWOOFER to reproduce honest BASS.

Mind you, I have a nice set of magnepans at my disposal, and Paradigm also satisfies me nicely.

gavincumm
Unregistered guest
you can get an all out 5.1 speaker system from them called the cinema 70 CT for $499

They have bigger models in this range that are only slightly more expensive. Being that you are a Bose customer, I suggested their smallest offering.

go to www.paradigm.com and find a dealer to audition these speakers. I don't think you will be dissapointed.

gavin

gavincumm
Unregistered guest
to answer your original question, if you don't like the cibes, you won't like the Bose center.

I have heard it, and do not like it. It is really thin and strident. Very poor freq. response.

gavin

fiddlyD
Unregistered guest
ok then....let me pose another question...
say i get rid of the bose system completly/
my room is 11wx20L.... i use the system just for movies.. i have the Onkyo 702 and Sony DVD...Sony 36" tv
which system do you guys recomend????max budget is say $1000-$1600 for speakers.
fiddlyD

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 127
Three of these for the front.
http://www.us.alegriaaudio.com/Ling.htm
Two of these for the surrounds.
http://www.us.alegriaaudio.com/LingSingle.htm
Sub of your choice.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 128
Oh yeah, that's right. You want a 6.1 system.
One more of these for the rear.
http://www.us.alegriaaudio.com/LingSingle.htm

Bronze Member
Username: Stealth_c

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 32
fiddlyD: If you like your Bose system, by all means try the Bose center. You can always return it if you so desire. I doubt very many people here have seriously compared it to a regular cube.

If you do wish to be rid of Bose however, in the 1000-1600 price bracket you have many options available to you. Cambridge Soundworks, Energy, Klipsch, and so on make excellent speakers in this price range.

pfc5
Unregistered guest
My friend was so impressed with my Klipsch speakers (RP5 towers in front, RC-35 Center, RS-35 Rear Surrounds, & RCX-4 rear center (easier mounting)), that he sold his Bose Acoustimas 10 & The Bose Powered Towers he just bought last year, but only got $500.00 for them.

He used the money to buy a Klipsch "Package" system from www.vanns.com Call them and you can talk them down a little, AND NO S/H charges.

Now he hates Bose lol. His other system cost $2,000.00 and the $550.00 Klipsch "package" blows it away (his words).

Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 3
hmmm
if you want something that will totally roast ANYTHING in that price range take a look at the Magnepan MMG-W/C system. You will get 5 planar focus speakers for less than $900.

Mind you they need a good sub, and a reciever that can draw 4 ohms, but if it were my money and I had a grand to spend. It would be a tossup between Paradigm and Magnepan.

Magnepan are a true high end speaker that will reward you with sound reproduction that is beyond explanation. You really have to hear them to believe it.

I own a pair in my main system. They KICK! And this is not compaired to speakers at their price. I have compaired them to speakers multiples of their price.

www.magnepan.com

gavin

Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 4
throw in the SVS pb-10isd subwoofer, a reference quality design for $430, and you still come under budget! This sub will rock your socks off! It is low, loud, and TIGHT!

if that is too much, take a look at the HSU Research STF series subs. They start at $299, and are excellent as well. But, my nod goes to the SVS above.

check and see if your Onkyo can drive 4 ohm speakers, because THIS is the setup I reccomend.

I can almost bet that you will be listening to music more and more on it as well.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 129
I know nobody has mentioned this particular Klipsch model but it mystifies me why listeners rave about the RB-75 ($1200/pr) when it has a huge (nearly -10db) dip in frequency response at 3.5kHz.
http://www.hometheatermag.com/loudspeakers/1103klipsch/index1.html

Bronze Member
Username: Stealth_c

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 34
I was mostly talking about the sub-sat systems of the companies I mentioned since size needs to be taken into account.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us