NAD T751 for Klipsch LaScala?

Unregistered guest
Okay, in this quest for a HT receiver (See thread where I seek advice on Pioneer Elite VSX-24TX and Marantz SR-4400), I'm wondering if the NAD T751 is recommended. I know it's 5.1 and not 6.1 but that doesn't matter to me at this time. The main speakers are Klipsch LaScala. The lack of power (5 x 60W) isn't a problem since I can recycle a power amp on the FR+FL pre-outs.

Is this a model to stay away from?
Would it sound better than an also used Pionner Elite VSX-24TX or a new Marantz SR-4400?

Thanks!

Unregistered guest
Maybe I shouldn't get a used NAD early T model off ebay considering posts like the ones found here.

Bronze Member
Username: Gatt767

Post Number: 14
I had a T751. What I can say is that the amplification offered by this amp is great. Lets start with the lows, the receiver is installed with a very unflexible software. Connectivity wise, its installed with only 3 optical in and 3 Svideo in (if it matters to you), plus 5 composite in. When it comes to DTS decoding, the LFE channel was a little bit on the low side and I had to turn it up to the MAX to hear something comming out of the Subs while decoding a DTS bitstream, a bug with the DSP being used. As this prob was reported with other receivers using the same DSP at the time.
Major points are the following, very Simple in use, 5.1 in and 5.1 out (some future proofing), will drive speakers at 4 ohm loads, vgood in stereo, receiver can be set through OSD displayed on TV, built in RDS tuner and loads of analogue inputs, Installed with EARs (NAD surround decoding for 5.1 Stereo which is quite flexible)

Hope that the above helps

Unregistered guest
Thanks Robert,

I only need two optical inputs so far (DVD and Sat dish) so that is not an issue, nor is video in/out since I don't plan on switching video from the receiver anyway.

I'm more interested in sound and reliability. You're saying that sound is good, but there are glitches that a unit of this price shouldn't have. Still, it might be a good call.

Is the sound bright or mellow? I have Klipsch speakers that are very bright, so best to match it with a mellow amp (Marantz or Pioneer) but don't really know where the T751 falls.

Thanks!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
The sound is quite warm, very typical to NAd. What about the price that you will be paying? As NAD is on the third generation with this product.
As regards to the static, if i remember correctly, the unit used to produce some pops when I switched on the receiver with the sub on! But the static pops generated weren't that audible

Unregistered guest
There's an ebay auction that finishes in 45 minutes, but I would set a low maximum since I hadn't even considered this receiver 4 hours ago. I just saw it on ebay and wondered about it. The seller says he's the original owner (not a refurb).

I probably won't win the auction...
How much do you figure it's worth paying for?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Cannot help too much, as first of all the currency is different then mine, and I do not know the condition of the unit you are mentioning. As said before, this is a very basic receiver and so I would not offer too much!

Unregistered guest
The auction is at US$315 now, but I assume it'll finish higher. How high would you go blind? :-)

Unregistered guest
Would you pay more than for a new Marantz SR4400?
It's getting there now...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
No, the Marantz offers greater flexibility, and its a newer model. I think $315 is getting on the higher side!

Unregistered guest
Well, it's up to US$340 now...
Initially, I would have paid up to US$375 for it, based on it being a NAD. But I guess I'll skip it.

But I'm not sure about the Marantz having more flexibility and would appreciate your input on the thread called

[Used] Pioneer Elite SVX-24TX or Yamaha RX-V1000/995?

Thanks,
Peter

Unregistered guest
The auction finished at US$340. I would have been willing to go to US$375 (CDN$500) since there's no tax (shipping was also included). That's around what I expect to pay for a Marantz SR-4400, so I was ready to spend the same. But you gave me enough doubt to stop. :-)

So I gather you wouldn't recommend a old model Pioneer Elite VSX-24TX? There are 2 comming up for auction on ebay.ca in the next few days. I'm torn between that, the SR4400, or spending a bit more for the SR-5300 (w/ warranty) or SR-5400 (no full warranty).

:-(
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us