Sony STR-DE597 receiver questions?

Username: Lukazi2001

Podgorica, Montenegro

Post Number: 8
Anyone has STR-DE597 receiver (this one is CEL code). I have a few questions:
1. The volume scale on my receiver is from 0 to 74. In which units is this expresed? Decibels or smth?
2. May I keep volume on the receiver on the maximum and for how long (before damaging it from the heat that bulids up)?
3. In specification of the receiver is written:
rated power output at stereo mode(8 ohms 1 kHz, THD 0,7%) 100 W + 100W, measured under 230 V AC, 50 Hz. Is this RMS power or what? If not, how much approximately is RMS?

Bronze Member
Username: Usa2k4

Post Number: 54
1) As the volume indicator goes from 0 to 74 when you're increasing the loudness, it's not in dB. It's just for your reference only.

2) You would damage the speakers before damaging the receiver from heat.

3) 100W may be the RMS power that this receiver can put out at 1KHz only. Remember the full audible audio spectrum is 20-20,000Hz so at other frequencies, it would put out less than 100W (that's the way amp makers choose to make their amps look more powerful when the rated output can't be met for the whole spectrum). I remember someone on this board mentioned it's also rated at 90W or so @ 8-Ohms from 20-20KHz with a little higher THD. Sorry, I don't own a Sony so I can't say for sure.

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 116
ive been finding that the number scales really are arbitrary and depends on the make of the reciever. u can put the volume control anywhere you want like kevin said most likely its the speakers that get damaged before your reciever. you would have to be pretty stupid to damage your reciever that way. play the speakers as loud as you can stand them until they clip. the power rating like kevin mentioned is a useless value since the rating is not done under the whole spectrum. most japanese companies do that to make their equipment look competitive to other mid-fi hi-fi products. the reciever also most likely has a low ammount headroom. in reality the reciever probably only gives you about 60wpc with decent headroom.

Bronze Member
Username: Usa2k4

Post Number: 55
Well, I just checked the old threads and it was you who said the STR-DE597 was rated at 90W/channel from 20-20KHz @ 8-Ohms with 0.9% THD. :-)

Username: Lukazi2001

Podgorica, Montenegro

Post Number: 9
This forum is really cool. Yes, and thanks a lot to you for giving me so prompt and exact answers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us