The Great Subwoofer Search!

Silver Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 608
Yo - ev-body who knows about subwoofers. My good wife and I have decided that "perhaps" our B&W 705s need a little boost in the, uh, bass.

We're looking around for a subwoofer that will give good, tight sound to mostly classical music and opera. that means realistic reproduction of a lot of instruments!

Wife says N O black subwoofers. Period. Sigh. OK. We need something that will get down to around 32 Hz - and NOT be too big. I'm thinking perhaps of an 8-inch, instead of a 10-inch, cone?

Aperion, with its beautiful cherry wood, appeals to her design sense - Orb (OK, I know it's black - but there IS spray lacquer) appeals to me. I know that I must not spend over $500 - so I am seeking help here.

Polk is out - so is Sunfire for the price - so I'm thinking of a company that sells on the Internet? Just don't know. As in - help?

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 327
Don't know the price, but check out this wife appreciable sub from B&W -

http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.models/label/PV1

Bronze Member
Username: Stealth_c

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 70
The Cambridge Soundworks P500 can be had for 480 on ebay and is as WAF friendly as anything.

Silver Member
Username: Stone

West CoastUSA

Post Number: 154
What's wrong with B&W ASW 300 or 600? Price doesn't work?

Not 8 inch but the 10 inch comes in maple.
http://www.hsustore.com/vtf2.html

Bronze Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 58
take a look at some of the rocket subs from www.av123.com

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 610
Thanks to all for your comments and recommendations. I'm looking around carefully, and am considering all of your comments.

I'll let you know what - if any - decision is made in the immediate future. Thanx. . .

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 1405
Larry,

Rick gave you a good recommendation on 'Old Dogs" - don't get taken in by 'mini-subs' - if you want/need a sub (and I agree) get a real one!

My opinion FWIW :-)

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 161
you could always check out velodyne's SPL II series. dunno if its in your price range but i have heard it is a rather compact yet powerful and clean sub. and it comes in maple and cherry.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 329
I'll second the recommendation on the SPLII, I've heard the 8" sub and is very punchy and accurate. Excellent for music, not so much rumble for home theatre.

The blue one is very stylish.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 613
To all: thanks - I will definitely look at the Velodynes - have heard very good reports about them.

I'd think about the Hsu speakers, but I don't like the down-firing subs. My opinion only.

Away to the Internet - with thanks to all.

Bronze Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 59
forgot about MartinLogan!!!!! They make OUTSTANDING subs! The BEST you can get at the price points.

There is one near your price point that you can chose if it is down firing or front firing, called the Dynamo.

Check it out, as it is THE best sub in its price range.

http://www.martinlogan.com/dynamo_speaker.html

Also, take a look at the SVS PB-10isd. It comes in more colors than just black and is also one of the best subs I have heard in the price range. This model is front firing, and priced around $430.

www.svsubwoofers.com

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 614
To all: Well, I've checked out ALL of your recommendations - and, given my wife's objections to "another big box" in the living room - I think the Velodyne SPL II pretty much fills my/our requirements.

The Velodyne new is twice my budget - so I'm trying to find a decent used one. We'll see. . .

My Rantz: have you read about the Orb sub? Just wondering if you consider it not a "real sub?" The Velodyne has a "listed" 10-inch woofer, but the company says it is an 8-inch cone on a 10-inch frame. Just wondering about your take on both of these.

Away to more research. . .

Username: Brandzip

Houston, Texas USA

Post Number: 1
I realize everyone has their favorites...So here is mine for your application and price.

HSU VTF-2 MK 2 in Blond Maple.

No doubt a disgustingly good sub.
I have the very big brother.

$499.00 only on the net (as far as I am aware)
http://www.hsustore.com/vtf2.html

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 618
David - thanks - it looks pretty good - but the WAF comes in here - size means a lot to her, and we're talking about Large in this case. She has a great desire to see all things stereo come in small packages - not large (to her) boxes.

That's the beauty of the subs such as Velodyne's series II - and the little Orb sub that at least reads good! (grin)

It will be a while, anyway - I've got $1,400 worth of repair work on the car that MUST be done this month. Sigh. Old guyz, old cars, both need maintenance! (grin)

Thanks to all - - -
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us