DTS/DD disc?

Bronze Member
Username: Blazer

Post Number: 28
Hi guys,
Quick question please. I have a receiver and dvd player with both DTS and DD badges (like most these days). My question is, is it worth the extra few dollars for a dvd disk that has both DTS and DD encoding or should I just stick to the dvds that only come with DD? I've reasearched so much on both formats that my head is spinning. I've never seen a disk with only DTS encoding. If a disk has both (thus taking up more space) I was thinking that may defeat the purpose of getting a disk with the extra DTS format. So again, is it worth the extra $? Thanks for your help!

Username: Usa2k4

Post Number: 6
There are many DVDs that have only DTS stream because there is not enough space for both DTS and DD streams on the same discs. Jurassic Park Collector's Edition is a good example where one can only find the DTS 5.1 and Dolby Digital 2.1 (but not DD 5.1) on the disc. Note that all DVDs that have DTS encoded sound must also include a DD 2.1 track for people that do not have the equipment to decode DTS.

Not all DTS tracks sound great, especially if they were remastered from old movies. However, if a movie is available in both DTS and DD, most of the time the DTS version would sound superior. Watch such movies like Once Upon a Time in Mexico, Jurassic Park 1/2/3, Desperado, Resident Evil, etc. in both DTS and DD formats and you'll see why the majority of the people would spend the extra $$ to get the DTS version of those movies.

For me, it would be nice to have both DTS and DD tracks on the same DVD. But if there is not enough space on the disc to include both streams, I would buy the DTS version. Compatibility is not an important issue anymore with today's equipment to scare us from buying the much better DTS version of the movie. Unless we bought a super dirt cheap receiver, nowadays even receivers in the low-priced range (about $150 street price) still offer at least the DTS 5.1 feature in addtion to DD 5.1 (I just bought a $150 receiver for my nephew that has DTS 5.1, DTS-ES).

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 283
I agree, so far DTS track has sounded better than DD to me whenever both included on disc and possible to compare. DD can sometimes bring more detail on high frequencies in music DVDs, but DTS still more natural, IMHO.

Cheers
AL

Bronze Member
Username: Culp4684

Post Number: 92
Actually, almost all concert DVD's have three options for audio. I pulled out Diana Krall's "Live in Paris", Brian Setzer's "Live in Japan", The Mavericks "Live in Austin Texas", the "Concert for George" and Roy Orbison's "Black and White".

All of these have Dolby Digital 2.0 and 5.1 along with DTS 5.1. I really don't think its a space issue. A few of these discs run well over two hours.

On the flip side, my all time favorite concert video, "Hell Freezes Over" by the Eagles, is DTS 5.1 only...

Bronze Member
Username: Usa2k4

Post Number: 11
Yep, many discs have both DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1 but a few only give you DTS due to the many extra's on the discs. Like you guys, I'm a BIG DTS fan. :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Blazer

Post Number: 29
Thanks guys. I've done some recent side by side listening and DTS rocks!!

Bronze Member
Username: Sulfur

Post Number: 63
In 5.1 surround, DTS beats DD hands down. There is no comparison. Read this guide if you're interested:

http://www.surroundassociates.com/fqmain.html#2.8.2

"2.8.2 What's the difference between Dolby Digital (AC-3) and DTS encoding?
Both methods are what's known as lossy data compression schemes where some information that is masked by more prominent data is thrown away. This is done in order to fit a lot of data through a small data pipe. Dolby Digital (formerly called AC-3) takes 6 channels of 48kHz/24 bit information and compresses it at about an 11 to 1 ratio to an a maximum bit rate of 640kbps, although 384 is the average data rate used. The payload data rates for DTS are 1.2 Mbps for music discs and 1.5Mbps or 754kbps for DVD. The compression ratio varies according to the input word length; 3:1 is about right for 20 bits, 48 kHz, at 1.5Mbps."

shok
Unregistered guest
There's some cd's thats DTS also. How do they sound?

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 313
I bought one to try, Sting/Ten Summoner's Tale, and it was a disappointment. Matches theory, DTS is too compressed to be able to restore all mucic content at playback.

There is a newer format DTS 96/24, but I haven't been able to check it out. My receiver is to old to decode it as such.

Cheers
AL
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us