When is it too loud?

Unregistered guest
I read an article a while ago where it was mentioned that movie makers design soundtracks to be played back at 0Db.

Now my question is, how safe would it be for most receivers to be used at that level(I not even talking about the neighbours now!)

The reason for my question is that I replaced my old Sansui HT receiver with a Yamaha Rx-V450 receiver and in the beginning it sounded "too soft" and I cranked it up to 0Db. The sound was lovely, but after about two minutes the receiver just went dead never to be waken again and had to be replaced by the shop.

Subsequently I realised that because the Yamaha has a much cleaner sound than my old receiver, it sound "softer" at the same levels.

Any pointers?

Bronze Member
Username: Canuckinapickle

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 19
Hum. Interesting.

I work in a theatre (typically live stage but we have a cinema setup too). All dolby/thx theatres usually use Dolby Cinema Processors where the volume is measured from 0.0 to 10. Films are recorded so that in a certified thx theatre they always run at a level of 7.0 on these processors.

Thus if you wanted to make your film run at 0.0db on your receiver you'd have to know what the corresponding SPL is for 7.0 in a dolby/thx theatre. I should know that but as I say we usually do live stage not cinema, and I'm not a projectionist. With the use of your own SPL meter you'd have to turn your reciever up to 0Db, and send a noise signal. Then adjust your amp gains down individually for each channel to match the appropriate SPL.

Seems like a lot of work but it can be done provided you have gain control over each amp-channel. All you need to know is what 7.0 on a dolby cinema processor corresponds to. Maybe someone else here knows the answer to that.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/119183.html

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 276
The "softness" is a lack of distortion. If the signal to the speakers is free of distortion the risk of damaging your equipment is minimal. If that Yamaha sounds good at zero you may want to consider upgrading to a more powerful unit such as the RXV-750. Under normal listening conditions from a good source you should not be able to stand the loudness at 0dB.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Kano - That makes no sense.

Silver Member

Post Number: 277
I'm saying that if he enjoys the sound produced with the receiver set to 0dB, he may want to consider upgrading to a receiver that can output at that level without any strain.

Alphabet
Unregistered guest
Thanks Kano, I get the picture. What I did not add, was that at 0Db it was LOUD!!! This is in a room measuring 7m x 4m - roughly 22 x 13 feet. Oh, by the way, I would have loved to get the 750, but my wife would have had a fit if I tried to spend even more money - however, give me some time and I may still convince her!!!

In the mean time I have played around with the gain on each channel as well and I have not been able to get to 0Db yet.

Its more the fact that an amplifier producing less distortion may not sound as "loud" as a lesser unit producing lots of distortion. To many people it does not matter how much distortion is produced as long as it sounds loud!

I was just curious about the statement I read about soundtracks being designed to be played back at 0Db as I felt that it would be extremely loud on most modern receivers.

Thanks for the responses anyway and if anybody else have some advice, critism or comments, please don't hold back.

Cheers

Silver Member

Post Number: 278
What 0dB corresponds to is the question. Since 0dB outputs a different power level from each receiver , the true measure is how much the soundtrack is being amplified. The statement may refer to structuring the sound levels around an average receiver at peak output.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

What "0 dB" refers to is the level set used by the technicians before playing any tape. A reference signal, usually at 1kHz, is put on the tape when it is produced. This sets the proper playback level for that particular tape. This is done for several reasons; head wear, alignment, tape flux, variation in playback equipment from one location to the next, etc. When the playback system gets the tape, the signal that should correspond to "0dB" is played on the playback deck and the levels are adjusted ON THE PLAYBACK MACHINE to the relative level of "0dB". It is used only as a reference level and this is how braodcast and theaters have been doing sound for decades. Volume is adjuted for the overall system gain at a different point in the playback system. The reference level maintains the accuracy of the playback systems from one theater to the next and, in this case, assures the THX specifications can be met. It has nothing to do with playback at home since you do not adjust the relative levels of your playback machine.

Kano - Your comment still makes no sense.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us