Please explain high current on a receiver

Username: Belgravekm

Bridgetown, West indies Barbados

Post Number: 1
could someone please explain how does high current
on a receiver be an advantage.i was recently told that the pioneer elite 52tx is not a high current receiver and that is why it doesn't perform,i'm really confused cause i thought that pioneer elite was of the highest quality.
could someone clear this up for me?

schouse13
Unregistered guest
From audioholics.com receivers buying guide:

Watts are a unit of power defined as voltage (V) times current (I) or V*I or I^2*Z or V^2/Z where Z is impedance. Usually receivers are rated in RMS power or "Root Means Squared". This is the typical power your receiver can provide for a given characteristic impedance.

It is important when comparing power ratings between receivers to verify they are being measured uniformly. For example, typical mass market receivers rate each amp at 0.7% THD @ 1 KHz as opposed to full bandwidth under acceptable THD audible limits ( < 0.1%) creating the illusion of more power to the unknowing customer. This is why a $300 15lbs mass market receiver appears to deliver as much power or more than a receiver twice the price and weight. In addition some companies take it one step further and rate their amps at 6 ohm loads to give the illusion of more power when compared to similarly priced receivers from other manufacturers rated at 8 ohm loads.

There are more important concerns in judging an amp than power specs rated into a resistive load given at the back of a user manual of the receiver. Loudspeakers present a reactive load to the amplifier that can increase the current demand as much as several times that demanded by a trivial resistor. Since it is the current, not the voltage, that actually drives the speaker cone, output current capability is the limiting factor in most amplifiers. It is important to verify the amplifiers behavior when it is presented with 4 and 2 ohm loads; its output should increase substantially over the 8-ohm value. Receivers typically publish specifications of dynamic power under 4 and 2 ohm loads for the amp. If the receiver can deliver about double the power or more in 1O2 the nominal load, it is usually a good indication that it's amp sections are dynamic enough to drive moderately efficient speakers to satisfactory undistorted levels (90-100 dB) in an average size living room. Some manufacturers also claim their amps are "high current" designs and publish peak current capabilities in excess of nominal operating conditions. Interpret these numbers with a grain of salt. There is no standardized method by the FCC to make this type of measurement. Therefore the manufacturer can make any claims they desire without backing them up. In addition, these measurements are usually instantaneous figures and not continuous.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us