Pros/cons in the HK and Onkyo world

Bronze Member
Username: Dmc1

Post Number: 14
Can anyone be so kind as to point out the differences in the HK AVR-235 and the Onkyo TX-SR602 products
I want one for music and video to run my polk speakers
grassy a.s.s

edster922
Unregistered guest
HK is widely regarded as having superior sound quality especially for music. However some people have had technical issues with some of their receivers, and the setup & manual is said to be rather Byzantine.

I briefly had an Onkyo 601, loved its looks, intuitive user-friendly interface, easy setup, tons of sound-tweaking features. HT performance was fine but I was underwhelmed by its music performance, got a Marantz instead. The 602 is just the 7.1 version of the 601, and has the snazzy lighted volume knob which was probably inspired by the HK.

Bronze Member
Username: Landlockedph

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 20
I had the opportunity last night to A/B an Onkyo TX-SR602 with an HK AVR 335 and frankly, the HK didn't have the "balls" of the Onkyo on strong musical passages... bass, drums, etc. The 335 was weak in comparison.

The speakers were a mid-quality Infinity pair. Didn't pay attention to the model as I was comparing both receivers using the same speakers.

Don't get me wrong, the HK AVR 335 played the bass notes exceptionally well... but listening to the same passage on the Onkyo, in addition to the note... you could sense the "bend of the string". If that makes any sense. Clarity of instruments was better for the Onkyo.

So I'm assuming the AVR 235 doesn't come close to the Onkyo TX-SR602.

edster922
Unregistered guest
Landlocked,

Wow, you're the first person I've ever seen praise the Onkyo's musical quality over that of any HK!

I can't really add anything more since I have not compared the HK specifically to the Onkyo, only Marantz which definitely had better musical SQ than the Onkyo, at least to my ears.

I could see what you're saying, the HK is renowned more for its detailed mids/highs than its low end. My personal experience with the 601 left me very unimpressed with its mids and highs...but I guess that comes back to what type of music you listen to, and what specifically you listen FOR in your music.

Bronze Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 23
Based on allot of feedback from this forum and others... I decided to give the HK AVR-430 one more chance last night in my home.

What a pain in the butt! I spent about 4 hours setting it up and "tweaking" it. When I have to spend more time tweaking than enjoying, why bother?

It only took me 5 minutes to pull the plug and decide (finally) that the Onkyo TX-SR702 is the best value for the money. User friendly and great sound.

All the best.

Bronze Member
Username: Steelydan

Post Number: 20
You bought the 702 and not the 602?

Bronze Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 24
Yes. Nearly the same receiver. The 702 has slightly more power and is TXH Select. It also has a lighted remote.

It can be purchased online for around $600.

Silver Member
Username: Billdashill

Post Number: 145
Anyone hear when the Onkyo 703's will be released?
Any upgrades worth waiting for?

Username: Rustycat

Aus-TexUSofA

Post Number: 1
I,too,prefer the onkyo sound over the hk, but only in the higher watt models..702 up.HK hasn't got as full a band of response as the onkyo,especially when you look at the price tag !I also have Denon that is probably cleaner sounding than both...can't afford the Marantz

edster922
Unregistered guest
Landlocked,

$600 for the Onkyo 702, ouch! I think that's entry-level Pioneer Elite territory.

Bronze Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 25
Actually, $630 for a Elite VSX 54TX.

I A/B'd a Elite 56TX to Yamaha RX-V1500 for about an hour back before Christmas using a variety of music.

The Yamaha won, hands down. Much more detailed sound than the Elite. And, the Onkyo filled in the mids and bass that the Yamaha didn't have.

Since then... the "Elite" hasn't even been a player.

edster922
Unregistered guest
Just curious, did you ever try out any Marantz receivers? I think their 5500 is $600...I'd be curious to hear how you would find it compared to the 702, which I'm now assuming must be a HUGE step up from the 601 that I had.

Bronze Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 27
No. Sorry there aren't any dealers handling Marantz my area.

I've read good things but Marantz was never under consideration. Hadn't heard anything from them in years.

TPE
Unregistered guest
The Marantz 5500 Retail is $600-$650. Very good product for the price. To Landlockedph...if you take any receiver or speakers from box, plug in and not expect to 'tweak' them then you are shorting your self. A manufacturer doesnt know if you are putting these in a carpeted room, tile floors, 8' ceilings, 10' ceilings, etc... They all need tweaking to maximize.

Bronze Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 80
i agree with TPE. not to start a war with you landlocked, but it seems a bit superficial to make you judgement of the recievers only on how long it took you to set up the HT calibration. 4 hours is a long time but compare that with the years that you may have enjoyed using them its very small. also spending over $600 on a reciever and i am guessing thousands on speakers, several hours of work is really not a big deal. my dad spent two days wiring his HT system and finally got it to work. he has been using that setup for about 8 years now and is going to go through an upgrade now. i understand you frustration, but dont u think you are being alittle too impatient?

Bronze Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 29
Appreciate and understand the comments.

"Hi-fi audio" was a hobby of mine for many years (and many thousands of dollars) long before digital and home theater had ever been heard of. I studied electronics and had a First Class FCC license (when there was such a thing) and enjoyed spending many hours "tweaking" my equipment. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from doing the same thing now and for those of you that still do... enjoy it It's a great hobby.

But now I'm married and have two children that will need to use my "home theater" setup. I need to get the best sound I can and provide an easy to use system that my wife and kids won't need me setting up and running for them every time they want to use it.

So, my main consideration in creating THIS room was a balance of the best sound possible (giving a family's budget) and "ease of use" for their enjoyment as well as mine.

Harman Kardon makes great equipment although from all of the reviews I've read, the build quality doesn't appear to be there right now. And, the remotes are poorly laid out and difficult to use in the dark.

Taking all of the above things into consideration... the Onkyo receiver won out.

Bronze Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 82
ahh...ic. thats understandable. hope you are enjoying it.

edster922
Unregistered guest
ah, if ease of use and mechanical reliability are your two top priorities then yeah Onkyo is one of the best choices out there.

Bronze Member
Username: Rd11

Post Number: 15
I have Athena speakers and had my mind set up on buying the HK avr-435, but I am simply tired of waiting for this model to arrive. I could opt for the older HK 430 or 630. My other option is the Onkyo SR702. Silver tone is a must. HT 60%/Music 40%. Any thoughts? Thanks...

Bronze Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 30
I also got tired of waiting for the AVR435 and went with the Onkyo TX-SR702. See my review above.

The more I read about the HK's lack of "build quality" and issues with the new EzSetEQ on other forums... the happier I am with my choice.

Bronze Member
Username: Shantao

Post Number: 87
Hi Landlocked;

as an owner of both an HK and an onkyo 601, I love them both. Haven't had any problem with either, in terms of build quality or use.

I agree wholeheartedly with you about set up. The 601 is so easy, my 10 year old set it up (I have been training him - he has an onkyo tx8211 stereo receiver in his room and cherishes it). Both my wife, the 10 year old and 6 year old can use the remote and the receiver to watch movies, play xbox and gamecube or cd's. The sound in HT is fantastic, in music it has great low end and enjoyable mids and highs. Personally I love my 601.

The HK took about 2 - 3 hours of screwing around to get it set up, the EZset was a joke and I spent enjoyable days messing with my spl meter (which I like doing) to get it just right. The remote makes little sense in that it has dual use buttons to select inputs and then you have to hit receiver again or nothing works. That is fine for me, but the wife and kids cannot quite seem to grasp this. Trying to use the two back channels as a second zone (using 5.1 for ht and the other two for zone 2) was an exercize in futility and after reading manuals, emailing HK and spending 10 hours screwing around pulling out what is left of my hair, I gave up. On the other hand, the receiver is solid as a tank, sounds fantastic (To my ears a bit better than the onkyo) but generally is used only by me. The onkyo is absolutely more user (especially family) friendly.

Silver Member
Username: Bleustar

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 229
I agree with you all here. The HK needs to upgrade their ergonomics and supply a better remote. The 602/702 Onkyo remote is so much better than the HK 135/235/335. The knobs on the Onkyo are better and the sound in my opinion rivals the HK.

I think the build quality of each brand is near identical.

Anonymous

I used to own a HK AVR630, unfortunately, that receiver was dead, and I had to return it, and got an Onkyo TX_SR620. Talking about sound quality, I think that HK 630 has clearer and better sound, specially when you play movie with low volume during night time, however, the receiver generates a lot of heat.

Silver Member

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 230
The HK AVR630 does sound much better than the Onkyo 602 but the Avr225/335 are more comparable in price and only sound marginally better than the Onkyo.

Bronze Member
Username: Cory

Canada

Post Number: 76
Do you think the H/K 635 would sound better than a Marantz SR-7500?

Silver Member

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 231
There is a new chipset in the processor for the HK AVR635, and the AVR630 sound wise was a very good performer. In a sound comparison, I would give a very slight advantage to the Marantz SR7500 in two channel mode (very slightly more defined lower midrange), and in multichannel mode I would say it's a toss up.

As far as remotes, I like HK's better. I do not care for the spring latch front panel though. It feels a bit cheap and flimsy. The Marantz seems a tad more solid.

Bronze Member
Username: Cory

Canada

Post Number: 79
Ok now if we were to put yhe H/K 635 against the Yamaha RX-V1500 what would you think. Im upgrading my HT so i need to find a receiver to go relly good with the speakers im getting
http://www.jblsynthesis.com/products/system_overview.aspx?prod=SYN-HT4-L7&Langua ge=ENG&Country=US&Region=USA
(only the speakers)
So far I got the HT4H and going to order the HT4V's

Thanks for your help
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us