Hawk & others please help a newbie

Michael Link
Unregistered guest
I can get the Marantz 5300 or Onkyo 601 for same price. I have been told Marantz is significantly better. Is this true? Thanks.

Michael Link
Unregistered guest
I should add that I listen to music/movies: 50/50. Thanks again.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Post Number: 207
Absolutely. I know of at least two audio mags that have given the Marantz an award for the 5300 (like "Best Budget Receiver", etc.), but the Onkyo is not really competitive, IMO. The Marantz is particularly better for music, but is also a much better receiver for HT, as well..

Michael Link
Unregistered guest
Thanks for your answer Hawk. There is a similar thread to this elsewhere on this board, but I will repeat the question here: what speakers would you recommend to go with the Marantz?

Silver Member

Post Number: 219
Michael:

There are a lot of very good choices. What is your budget and what would you use them for (HT/music)? Finally, any limitations (i.e., no floorstanders, etc.)?

Michael Link
Unregistered guest
Budget is approx $1000 with no real limitations. I would prefer floor speakers because I am just looking for two speakers to start, and will upgrade next year to 5.1. So far I have liked the B&W 603s, but have not really tested any other floor speakers in that price range. 50/50 HT/Music. Hawk, as always, thank you.

ROTK
Unregistered guest
I found a good article here: http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/loudspeakers/faceoff2.php.

Silver Member

Post Number: 231
Michael:

The B+Ws are a wonderful speaker and if that is what you have heard and like with your Marantz, then by all means get them. If you are just starting to look, however, I would suggest a couple of other very good choices that will match the sound of your Marantz beautifully. The Marantz is just a little laid back in its sonic charecter, so I prefer to match it with speakers that are a tad forward sounding. So, in no particular order:

1. Athena Audition AS-F2 ($600/pair): This is one that you may not believe as these speakers are sold at Best Buy, but they have been reviewed by Stereophile and are its list of recommended components--they are surprisingly good. Very open and detailed sounding, they are an incredible value. Made by the same company (API) that makes Mirage and Energy speakers. See them here:

http://audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=ATHASF2&product_name=Auditio n%20AS-F2%20Tower%20Speakers%20-%20Pair

2. Monitor Audio Silver S6s (MSRP $995/pair, available for $795/pr. from Kiefs): Another very open and detailed speaker that is more forward sounding than the B+Ws. Are very sensitive (91 db rating), so your Marantz shouldn't have any problem driving them and the rest of a MA 5.1 system. Beautiful wood finish, too. Here is their description from the MA website:

http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/products/silver/index.html

Either of these speakers are part of a full line of matching speakers from which you can build a 5.1 system. I do not say either of these speakers are better than the B+W, but they are as good with a different (more forward) sound. Everyone hears these things a little differently, and I am presenting some alternatives that you can compare and contrast with the B+Ws. In the end, you should get what you think sounds best.

Good luck!

Michael Link
Unregistered guest
Hawk: thanks, any thoughts on Klipsh speakers. They are roughly in the same price range as the ones you mentioned.

FYI, Best Buy is the only store in NYC that carries Athena speakers, and it is IMPOSSIBLE to listen to speakers there, so I will unfortunately have to eliminate them from consideration eventhough they are great price point.

Bronze Member
Username: Jonmoon

Post Number: 57
Michael,

Best Buy (at least where I live) allows a 30 day no questions return policy. If that is the case in NYC, it might make sense to audition the Athenas where it matters most: in your home. Just my $.02

Michael Link
Unregistered guest
I realize sound preferences are very subjective, but Hawk (and others) I was wondering if you actually listened to the Marantz with B&W, Monitor Audio, and others. I spent some time today listening to the Marantz with B&W 603s and with Monitor Audios S6s. The B&Ws seemed to produce a much fuller, less tinnier sound, although I wonder if maybe the B&W sound was to "boomy." All in all, compared to the Monitor's I though the B&W produced a sound that I could listen to for a longer period of time, but unfortunately I cannot test either speaker in my apt for any length of time.

Anyone want to add to this conversation regarding best floor speakers for approx $1000 to go with Marantz. I'm going to try to find some Paradigms and Pinnacles to test with the Marantz.

Silver Member

Post Number: 247
Micheal:

I think what you heard was the difference in sensitivities of those two speakers The B+Ws have a sensitivity of 90 db and the MAs have a sensitivity of 86 db. That is a big difference and since the volume was probably not adjusted, it would tend to make the MAs sound thinner.

Having said that, however, it does sound like you like the B+Ws better. I do not think the B+W is "boomy"--which to me suggests that the mid-bass is bloated and uncontrolled. However, we know the 603s have do not have a bloated and uncontrolled anything--they are too well built for that, so I would not be concerned.

I have one more speaker you should try, however, in light of your interest in the B+Ws--check out the NHT ST-4. MSRP is $1000/pair, but I have priced them at $785/pair and I like them A LOT! Very smooth and detailed, and not as dark sounding as the B+W, but also not as bright as the MAs. Check them out--I would be interested in what you think. I have heard them with Marantz equipment and they sound great. If I were buying speakers for a Marantz receiver and wanted to spend $1K for a pair of floorstanders, this would be the speaker I would get for my tastes.

Michael Link
Unregistered guest
Hawk, perhaps I am being overly sensitive, but you said something that caught my attention: "... and wanted to spend $1K for a pair of floorstanders...". Are you suggesting that $1K is somehow a poor price point for floorstanders?

Silver Member

Post Number: 261
No, not at all. I am just looking at what you are looking at and figuring that is what your budget is, that's all. Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us