Can Marantz 5300 power B&W 603s?

Melanie W
Unregistered guest
Is the Marantz 5300 strong enough to power B&W 603s?

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Post Number: 223
1. How big is your room?

2. Are you only driving a pair of the 603s or will it be a full 5.1 system?

3. If a full 5.1 system, what surrounds will you use?

The answer to these questions determines the answer to your question.

Melanie W
Unregistered guest
Room is 15 x 20 x 8 ft ceilings. carpeted. will be 5.1 (eventually) with B&W 600s for surrounds.

Username: Tpc99

Post Number: 1
I am using a similar setup - 603 fronts, lcr60 centre, 600 surrounds. I was using a NAD 742 which seemed to have plenty of power. Recently upgraded to a 753 - I think it sounds even better, more expansive soundstage. I have had some problems though. There is a hum problem that I am working on. So far have got a better Monster power bar, fixed some reverse polarity outlets. Most significant has been a hum from the ASW 600 sub. Haven't figured out what to do about that. Even with it disconnected though, when I get close to the speakers there is a hiss from the tweeters, and a hum from the midrange - only audible at about 1 foot distance, but driving me crazy because I know it is there. Any opiniions. I will ikely be returning to the dealer to set it up there.

Silver Member

Post Number: 233
Melanie:

The 603s are a very efficient speaker(sensitivity of 90 db), so I think the Marantz can pull them just fine. It may be a little short on power when you go to a full 5.1 system, but you can't really know that until you actually do it. But I am pretty sure it will work pretty well. So I would say go ahead. After all, if you find out later that you want more power, you can easily remedy it by adding a power amp for the front two channels.

Enjoy!

Silver Member

Post Number: 234
Tim:

I have advised a lot of people about the subwoofer hum problem and it is almost always a problem with the subwoofer cable. First, make sure the cable is firmly seated at both ends (receiver and sub). Often times if it is not pushed in all the way, the grounding isn't right and it will hum. If that doesn't fix it, try a different subwoofer cable (see if you can borrow one from a friend). I know it is a pain, but it is an easy fix. If you need to buy a new sub cable, go to Parts express (www.partsexpress.com) and get their Dayton Audio sub cable--it is a superb cable for a very reasonable amount of money. See the 12' cable here:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=181-642

Good luck!

Username: Tpc99

Post Number: 2
Hawk,thanks for the suggestions. I am using a fairly good cable (Ultralink Challenger subwoofer Y cable) and checked for loose connections without success. What about the hiss/hum from the mains. Anything like that from your 753?

James Williams
Unregistered guest
Speaking of the 603s, since they are not magnetically shielded, how far away from a standard 32" television set do they need to be placed?

Silver Member

Post Number: 245
tpc99:

Nope. My 753 is as clean as a whistle. I have been doing some stereo listening and haven't had any problems. Have the sub hooked up, too. However, it is not unusual to have a little "hiss" coming from a speaker that is only audible from a foot away when there is no signal. That is generally noise from the electrical line. I know you have a Monster Power Bar, but it really isn't designed to deal with low-level noise that--I am more concerned about the subwoofer hum problem. Let me think about this some more and perhaps I can come up with something.

James:

Figure 18-20" from the set.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us