What speakers for eclectic taste in music

Bronze Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 77
i'm just asking this just to have a feel for what my next purchase should be to match my taste in music. i listen to lots of different stuff. i listen to classical, jazz, rock, on occasion heavier rock, techno, trance, hiphop, pop, sometimes rap, bascially anything that sounds good to me, even country sometimes. i dont want bright speakers or muddy bass. volume is not a big issue but would be nice to blast my strange collection of music. i would be willing to buy a sub so speakers do not necessarily have to cover low end but should be good at mid's and hi's. am i gonna have to get expensive speakers for this?

Stealth C
Unregistered guest
Depends on the definition that you are looking for...what kind of price range are we talking here?

edster922
Unregistered guest
Good at mids and highs but not too bright? That's exactly what I was looking for...after months of reading forums like this, and auditioning speakers in shops, I opted for what I've found to be the best bang for the buck in that department: the Ascend CMT-340s, $560 shipped a pair. (ascendacoustics.com)

Or if you have a smaller room the bookshelf version, CMB-170s are $340 a pair shipped and sound great on stands or wall mounted at ear level or higher. I opted for the 340s because my listening room is cavernous, the 170s have astounding numbers of glowing private and professional reviews.

I was also tempted by the Magnepan MMGs at $550/pr. but found that I'd need a 4-ohm capable receiver/amp to run them properly.

Both the Maggies and Ascends should be ideal for your musical tastes, especially if used with a good subwoofer, even a cheap ($160 shipped) JBL e150 like mine.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 78
i guess $1000 for both speakers and sub. if need be i'll be willing to spend money on separates for a stereo setup. but of course i am looking to do the best with my money so pushing the budget would need a good reason.

Stealth C
Unregistered guest
Personally I find the KEF Q1 to be a fine speaker at a resonable price (MSRP 499). As for a sub, you cant go wrong with the SVS PB10-ISD (MSRP 429).

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79
the KEF looks pretty cool. i first couldnt figure out where the tweeter was. those maggies look unreal. haha...i cant imagine the look on people's faces when they see those things in action. i would have no probs putting those KEF Q1s in my room.....i'm getting antsy now to upgrade my system. its only about 4 months old now. darn. anyone think B&W speakers would work well with my taste like maybe the bookshelf in the 700 series? i'm kinda partial to B&W since i have speakers from them.

jimvm
Unregistered guest
I auditioned the B&W 705's once. Didn't have any CD's with me at the time and I can't recall what music the salesman played through them; just remember being mesmerized by the sound. To me they sounded spectacular and looked gorgeous in the cherry finish. Alas, I couldn't afford them and ended up with Paradigm Reference Studio 20's. To me the 20's sounded about 85% as good as the 705's at about half the price. Give the 705's a listen.

TPE
Unregistered guest
RBH has a excellent line of aluminum cone products that range anywhere from 300/pr to 14000 a pair. if you are going to get up to 2K plus look at Revel over B&W.

jimvm
Unregistered guest
Oops! I just re-read the threat and noticed your budget of $1000 for mains & sub. If that's the case, you can scratch B&W's 700 series off your list.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 81
thanks for your input jimvm. the budget is in no way set in stone. this is just a little thought experiment to get my wheels turning. i probably wont be upgrading for atleast another 4 years. i just bought a stereo system so an upgrade anytime soon would break my bank. depending on how much money i can save up and split between a new computer, a car and this will determine what i have a budget for. im sure if i get new speakers, sub and separates it would easily be close to $2000. thanks for your input guys. any other suggestions would be welcome.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us