Building First System...Need Help!

Bronze Member
Username: Mike_anthes

Canton, SD USA

Post Number: 65
Ok guys im kinda getting away from car audio and getting more into home audio. Im in high school and don't have a ton of money. Right now i have an Adire Audio Brahma 15" mk 2 that im willing to sell, and a cheap audiobahn amp as well. I think that i could get somewhere around 500 for this, maybe 600 if i sell the box as well. Im going with 7.1. I am looking at getting the Infinity Primus 360's for mains.(floorstanding) then getting a package deal of the Infinity Primus 140's. (4 of them for the 4 surround speakers), and the center speaker would be the Infinity Beta C250. I will decide on a subwoofer later when i get more cash. Could you recomend a nice receiver that would go good with this. I don't want to spend more than 300 dollars. I will buy off of ebay so one thats worth like 600 retail would be good. Also if i got all of this how good and loud would it sound. I really want good sound quallity and loudness. Thanks.

Unregistered guest
Im in High school to, thats quite the dream system you got planed. mine is almost done(thank god)

check out the Harmon/Kardon AVR525
herd nothing but good things about it

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 605
Panasonic xa-sr70 is a good one - sounds better than others in the price range. This has a digital amp, giving an upscale smooth sound, with a great bass.

You can get them on the web.

If I were you, I would stick to 2 channel system - you can get better spekaers with tha same money, and end up with better sound.

You might want to get something like Paradigm studio 20 off ebay.

Bronze Member

Canton, SD USA

Post Number: 66
james would you recomend a decent pair of speakers for about $1000 and a reciever for $500.
i haven't made any purchases and am open to anything, as long as it is loud and has good sound quality. i really want to upgrade from my current little system. i have a stereo with older akai speakers and newer aiwa speakers on it. (4 speakers geting bout 60 watts each.)

edster922
Unregistered guest
For the Infinity Primus 360, a new pair goes for about $410 shipped from eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=61376%26item%3D5741888333 %26%26

Though if you are willing to stick to your $1k for the pair you can do a lot better than the Primus 360, I'd go for the Paradigm Monitor 7 for around $700 a pair. Polk RTi8 and Monitor Audio Bronze B4 should also be around that price range.

Receiver: if you're mainly doing HT then the Onkyo 601/602 is around $300 from jandr.com which also carries the Pioneer 1014 for $400 shipped. If you're more into music look into the Marantz 5400, $450 shipped from hifi.com or step up to their newest 5500 model for another $150.

Bronze Member

Canton, SD USA

Post Number: 67
which speaker pair would you prefer the most...i want it to be VERY LOUD, and still maintain decent sound quallity. Thanks.

edster922
Unregistered guest
Sorry, been real busy the last couple of days.

I'd go with the Paradigm Monitor 7s (around $700 retail) and put the savings into a better receiver, such as a Marantz SR5500 ($600, hifi.com) or Pioneer 1014 ($400, jr.com).

If clarity and definition are really important to you I'd also look at Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 speakers, they will be better than the Paradigms for less money but you will need to get a sub if you want some really strong bass. They're about $560 shipped. I heard them at someone's house and am about to order them this coming week myself. I do have a sub, and the speaker is especially good for the kind of music I like (vocal-dominated rock, jazz, classical).

Nice thing about the Ascends is you get a 30-day money back policy, just pay return shipping which is nothing. Also you can get a package discount with them even if you can only pay for part of the package up front.

Look at their website, click on "System Extender" submenu.

gavincumm
Unregistered guest
Honestly edster, have you called magnepan? The MMG's are just perfect for your taste in music and will toast the ascends in every way.

call magnepan to see if your reciever can drive the speakers. Being that you already have a sub, the bass problems are aleviated.

Stealth C
Unregistered guest
Sounds to me like Michael wants Klipsch. Easy to drive loudly thanks to its horns and it retains good sound quality at high volume. A good pair of Reference Series floorstanders retails for a grand and can be had much cheaper on ebay and the like. Paradigm is all fine and dandy, but if you want loud, and dont have 200 watts a channel in amp power, Klipsch is your answer.

edster922
Unregistered guest
gav,

No, but I'll call them now as a last-ditch try. Several people have told me that the Marantz 5400 which I have cannot drive 4-ohm speakers, but you're right I should get it from the horse's mouth. Will let you know what I find out...

Bronze Member

Canton, SD USA

Post Number: 70
ill look at the klipsch ive heard pretty good things about them...also a quick reciever question...when it tells u wattage is that usually peak or rms...i need to know thanks...

Bronze Member

Canton, SD USA

Post Number: 71
with my current set up i just got a mini system that has a audio input on it...seems as if the audio is slower than the video...can you fix this in any way...

edster922
Unregistered guest
Michael,

make sure you LISTEN FIRST before you buy the Klipsch, and a/b them to some warmer speakers like the Paradigms. With Klipsch, people seem to either love or hate them. "Hate" is too strong a word for me personally, but the ones I heard sounded both muffled and piercing at the same time...that sounds contradictory but I don't know how else to describe them.

edster922
Unregistered guest
Gav,

Well I talked to Magnepan and they said it'd be best to speak to Marantz, so I did and here's the story: my SR5400 "can run 4-ohm speakers all day" BUT only at moderate volumes.

At high volume (anywhere near reference level) and during musical cresendos they said the receiver may go into protect mode and shut off momentarily. This also scary considering that the Marantz does get fairly warm already with just 8-ohm speakers at 90 wpc so at 4 ohms putting out 130 wpc...

Maybe in a few years if I ever upgrade to a serious 4-ohm amp (the Marantz does have pre-amp outs) I'll reconsider them, but right now I don't want to have to deal with all this extra worry.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 290
Impossible to audition in a store, but the older Klipsch Heritage can be had used on ebay cheaply and sounds great (and very loud).

(I include Cornwall's in the Heritage line, but they won't be listed there on the Klipsch web site because they are no longer made; other models in the Heriatge line is still made but are very pricey compared to used. e.g. top-of-the-line Klipschorn's are US$2000 used but US$7000 new)

Stealth C
Unregistered guest
Keep in mind that with Klipsch, the right amp can make a big difference in sound. Also, one of the greatest speaker/amp combos devised is a good pair of Klipsch speakers and a solid tube amp.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 297
True enough Stealth,

However I'm very happy running La Scala's with an h/k avr-325.

Bronze Member

Canton, SD USA

Post Number: 72
is their anyway to hook up a small/nice power amp to increase the power...cant find a big enough reciever for the klipsch reference 7's...thanks...

tp4ever84
Unregistered guest
I would also suggest listening to klipsch before you buy too. I was interested in the klipsch rf-35 or rf-5 too before I actually listend to them then I compared them both to a pair of Paradigm Legends and went with the legends. The klipsch are too bright sounding the only good thing about them is that they are louder but that will never matter because you will never turn them up past what you could with legends or any other good sounding speakers so whats the point. I suggest buying a great sounding pair of speakers like the legends and a subwoofer. If you don't try out the two speakers against each other I guess you'll love the klipsch then because you won't know what a good pair of speakers sound like. I'm 20 years old and I listen to rock and rap at loud decibal levels so you can trust me and not think that I'm some 50 year old dude that listens to classic or something and never has his sub shaking things off the walls.

To Michael Anthes question: Ya there is a a reciever with enough power its the denon avr 5805 it has 170 watts per channel (16 channels) and if you are not using one of the 16 channels you can assign its watts to another channel so your front speakers could actually be recieving 340 watts. It can also play 9.1. Only downfall to this reciever is that it cost $6,000 bucks.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 299
I guess you'll love the klipsch then because you won't know what a good pair of speakers sound like.

Wow. Those are pretty arrogant and fighting words.

Note that I've never heard the RF-35 or RF-5 (or any of the Reference line), but I won't paint an entire brand with one brush stoke either. I've heard the worst audition of the Paradigm PW-2200 sub you could believe, but people rave about that sub. I won't disparage all of Paradigm for that.

...not think that I'm some 50 year old dude that listens to classic or something and never has his sub shaking things off the walls.

Wow again.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 300
Micheal wrote:

s their anyway to hook up a small/nice power amp to increase the power...cant find a big enough reciever for the klipsch reference 7's

Micheal, I have heard that the RF-7 like a lot of power, but they are very efficient speakers (102 dB/1W/1m) so I have trouble with that. What I have also heard is that, while nominally 8 ohms speakers, they dip just under 4 ohms at some low frequency. Thus they sound best with a high-current amp that can drive a 4 ohms load. That might explain why some people have reported better results with big amps.

Otherwise, get a receiver with pre-outs on all channels and get an external amp eventually. That's a good upgrade path anyway.

Have you heard the RF-7?

Stealth C
Unregistered guest
Indeed...funny since the Klipsch RF-35 has deeper bass as well as better sensitivity over the Paradigm Legend. As far as being bright, the simple remedy is getting the correct amplifier. Its not about the wattage with Klipsch, its the quality. You can drive it with crap 40 watts from sony or 40 quality watts, say from Conrad Johnson. If you feed it crap, crap is what you will get. If you feed it the good stuff, you will have a setup that very few can beat.

gavincumm
Unregistered guest
Magnepan reccomends at least 50 watts for the MMG's, so the Marantz will be able to drive them then according to what they say.

If you have the ability to upgrade to decent 4 ohm gear in the future you will be rewarded with all these speakers are capable of

gavincumm
Unregistered guest
you make a very good point, in the meantime, the ascends are an excellent speaker.

I am glad to see that you called Marantz instead of just magnepan. I am not totally familiar with that unit.

tp4ever84
Unregistered guest
Sorry about my post seeming arrogant I didn't read what I had typed and didn't mean to affend you if I did. I did listen to the klipsch with a high quality reciever (yamaha rx-v1400). I didn't think that klipsch were as accurate as the legends and bass wise I already have a sub so the lowest freq is taken care of all I needed was the accurate mid-bass and high freq. But if you don't have a sub and do not plan to buy one then sure the klipsch are better in that part and I would recommend spending the extra 100 bucks and getting the rf-5's because they have a better crossover.

Stealth C
Unregistered guest
No one ever said that Yamaha is an ideal mate for Klipsch speakers unfortunately. Tubes are the ideal match, but HK is supposed to be good stuff from what I hear.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 301
I can't say I have ever experienced amplifier mating with speakers, i.e. differences with good or bad matches, but I did get an h/k after people in this forum recommended the match. Marantz would also be good, I'm told, and Yamaha would not; too bright.

I must say I'm pleased with the result. Even at 110 dB in my small room, there's no harsness with good recordings.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us