Harmon Kardon avr7300 or Denon 5803?? Imput please \Buying tonight

Username: Mystro

Post Number: 1
Is the Denon 5803 worth the extra money over the HK 7300? Is the denon 5803 that much beter than the 5800?

Bronze Member
Username: Dary

Sao Paulo Brazil

Post Number: 36
What is the price difference?

Post Number: 2
I am kind of working on if price is'nt a big deal.
The H&K 7300 is about $1400 The Denon 5803 is a factory refurb at $2600.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 252
What speakers? What usage : ie home theatre/music/multi-room? What other kind of equipment do you plan on running with it : ie model of tv/dvd player.

Two very different machines with their own strengths.

Post Number: 3
Speakers are large B&W 640i, B&W CDS'6 rear, 2 Velodyne F-18 subs. System is in a purpose built Media room 18x24 that was acoustically designed when I built my house. Automated lighting/blinds,ceiling has acoustically ramped etc..
I bought (new then) a Harmon Kardon avr80 mark2, lexicon dc-1.
I am upgrading my 60"projection to a Samsung DPL HLP5674. I decided to upgrade the amp as well since it is the audio and video hub of the system.
I really like the power and video capability of the Harmon Kardon AVR7300. All my gear is hidden in its own room with IR repeaters, so any fan noise wont be heard. Walls were built on rubber isolators and front is isolated with sand enclosures. Thanks for any input
.Upload

Bronze Member
Username: Rlschneck

Post Number: 70
David Fravel,

NICE F'ING SETUP!!

sorry for the all caps and quasi-curse, but i am salivating over your setup. that is nice!

i envy you.

sorry, i can't help with your question. i myself have the H/K AVR330, so we're not exactly in the same league. i am just starting out, that is, i am still working on completing my first home theater system... i have my audio, i just need the TV and DVD player. i am thinking about getting the JVC D-ILA set...

good luck dave

Post Number: 6
Thanks,R
(I updated my forum name.)
I checked both Denon 5803 and the H/K 7300 out at a Hi-end Audio shop.
I chose the H/K7300. The H/K7300's flexibility with video and audio clearly made it the top dog. I also like the sound beter than the Denon. The 5803 is also going to be a discontinued model. I looked at the 5805 but it was similar to the 5303 in sound. The Denon 3805 was nice but not up to the H/K 7300.
The power of the 7300 is incredible,
(I repeat), INCREDIBLE! and this is why I always liked Harmon Kardon. You can almost add 70watts per channel to what ever they say their amps put out. Like any new hi-tech Reciever, I am going to have to play around with it, to exploit all of its hidden features and layouts. Its a job I am looking foward to. I also bought a Sony RM AV3100 touch-screen universal remote and a Samsung HD941 DVD player with DVI interface. Should be a fun winter.

Silver Member

Post Number: 260
Regarding the Samsung DVD player, I just recently purchased a new player and have done a fair bit of research. Here's one guys review of your player :

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=474770&highlight=Samsu ng

This is the latest Shootout of most the best players :

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=all

Conclusion : "This player does not have any pre-selectable progressive modes, so what you see is what you get. The player passed all of our tests with the exception of the 2-2 cadence test. This was expected since the player didn't provide any alternate progressive modes.

The HD941 is a universal transport and supports both the DVD-A and SACD formats. It does not use the newer HDMI spec though, so it will not pass DVD-A material over its HDMI connection.

Overall, this is an improvement over the HD-931 and HD-841 but still falls short of the other players with the same features and general price point. I really hope that Samsung will put some more effort into their future offerings, especially since this is their third generation of upscaling player. "

I purchased the Denon DVD-2910, and am amazed with every application how much it changed the whole experience. I upgraded from a Panasonic F65. Second contender was the Pioneer Elite DV-45A. Wishlist was the Denon 3910 or the Pioneer Elite 59AVI

Post Number: 7
I am getting the Samsung HD-941 for $176.00. I couldnt find any player close to that price.

Post Number: 8
I am getting the Samsung HD-941 for $176.00. I couldnt find any player close to that price.

Post Number: 10
Scratch that, I think I am going to replay the Samsung HD941 for the Harmon Kardon DVD22.

Silver Member

Post Number: 262
Only thing with the DVD22 is you lose the 6 channel direct outs for SACD and DVD-A. The HK DVD-31 does have it however.

Silver Member

Post Number: 263
Although SACD I'm not sure about on the DVD31. No one in my city carries it yet.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us