In-house speaker wiring question....

TCK
Unregistered guest
I have a situation (moving some things around) where I need additional length on 2 speaker wires in my home.

I would prefer not rip out the existing speaker wires, therefore this requires me to splice additional length onto what is in place.

Question: The splice would be in ceiling area of my unfinished basement. How careful do I need to be? Should I use some sort of junction box to hold the splice? or do I just twist the speaker wires together and wrap with electrical tape? What's the appropriate way to do this? I am thinking about finishing my basement next year - finishing the basement would cover the area where the splice would be.

I would appreciate any input...

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

If you strip the wires back and use the correct gauge wire nuts you will have a gas tight connection that is quick, easy and long lasting.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 287
Jan

Can you expand on 'correct gauge wire nuts'? I've never done this.

Regards,
Frank.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

I assume you know what I mean when I say "wire nut". They may be called something different in other parts of the world. They are the plastic screw type connectors that will twist the two wire ends together as you turn them onto the splice. The resulting connection is made inside the wire nut and the insulation is provided by the plastic of the nut housing and the ability of the user to strip the correct amount of insulation off the wires. If you strip too much, you will have more bare wire than the nut can acept and then the potential for oxidation occurs. If you strip too little, you will not have a well made connection.

When the stripped wire is inserted into the wire nut, the insualtion from the two (or more) wires will come in contact with the insulation of the nut. There are wire nuts available now which will withstand burial underground so no moisture is allowed into the wires themself. If no moisture or air (gas tight) can get to the bare copper of the wire, the connection is almost as good as a non-spliced cable. The other alternatives to making this connection would be a terminal/barrier strip or a but* connector that has been crimped properly. The wire nut is acceptable as code in most low level installations and is quick,easy and long lasting and requires minimal skill.
Wire nuts are sold by gauge, the color determining the gauge. Obviously if you are splicing two 18 AWG cables you will pick a wire nut meant for that gauge. If you put too big a nut on the gauge of wire, you will not have a gas tight connection. Does that cover what you need, Frank?

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us