NAD 743 Help Please

Username: Elikane

Post Number: 1
I recently purchased an NAD 743 receiver. I know my questions are probably very remedial, but I did not find the owner's manual all that helpful. My questions concern the setup of the unit. I want to run my home theatre system and then using a speaker selector the remaining speakers in my home. Is there any website or forum that I can get basic installation information so I can hook up my equipment. I also do not find the remote all that user friendly with the NAD 743, specifically, there are no codes to program it to run other components. Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 533
Bill,

I cannot speak to the installation/setup of your speaker switch and such, but I can speak to the HTR-2 remote as my NAD T762 has the same remote. From experience, I understand your frustrations with the NAD manual. Most of it is pretty straight forward, but it is sometimes hard to understand. Your HTR-2 remote can most definately control other devices...in fact, it is probably better at this task than many other receiver remotes. The problem is that it takes a little effort to set it up, but once you do, the remote works very well. The HTR-2 remote is a "learning" remote...therefore you have to "teach" it all of the functions you want it to do. Instructions for this should be in the manual in the section discussing the remote. If I could, I would give you an exact page, but for some reason I can't get the online manual to come up on my computer.

For example, if you want the remote to control your DVD player, you have to teach the NAD remote which button you want "play" to be, which one you want "stop" to be, and so on. I realize this sounds tedious, and it can be depending on how many remotes and functions you want to teach, but this definately has its advantages. Most other remotes are limited by the amount of codes they have. If your remote doesn't have a code for your brand, then you may be out of luck. With this learning remote, it is guaranteed that the NAD remote can control ANY brand. Also, this allows for you to set up the remote buttons based on your own needs. You can make the buttons do whatever you want. If you wanted to set up the "channel up/down" button on the NAD remote to control the disk selector on a DVD changer, then you could set it up that way.

So, read through the remote section in the manual on the remote and see what you can find. If you need any more help on this matter, do not hesitate to ask.

Anonymous

Johnny, how's your 762 compares with the 763 sonically?

thanks

Silver Member
Username: Dmeister

Post Number: 140
I don't know the specifics since I have never looked into it, but both the remote control and the front of the unit have a "Speaker A / B" button, which most likely switches output from the mains (A) to the second zone (B) and the listening mode to stereo.

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 534
Anon,

I have never compared the two side by side, but internally, both are largely identical. The major differences lie in heat management, which may or may not matter for you depending on what types of conditions you listen in. In my auditions of the T763, I could discern no noticable difference in sound quality.

The T763 offers upgradable software via the RS-232 port (the T762 has an RS-232 port as well, but not for this purpose) and Dolby Pro Logic IIx. Other than that, unless you knew exactly which one you were looking at, I think most would be very hardpressed to tell the difference, both internally and externally.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us