New Floor Standing Speakers

Username: Canadam

Post Number: 1
I recently got a Yamaha RX-V550 and a set of Yamaha Surround speakers. I plan to upgrade the fronts to some larger floor standing units, and keeping the bookshelf speakers for a set of "B" speakers.

I'd really like to stick with Yamaha and their metallic-gloss black "Piano" finish, but would consider others.

Any suggestions around $800 USD for the pair ?

Gold Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 1086
Paradigm Monitor 7. Very good floorstander and perfect match for Yamaha. Far better than the Yamaha speakers. Go all Paradigm when you can afford it. Don't forget the center channel which is the most important speaker in a ht system. Look at the Paradigm cc370.

Bronze Member
Username: Dloweman

Post Number: 39
I have to agree with elitefan, I have the 7's, and have listened to them on a yammie and they sounded great. Another good reason for them is that your receiver doesn't have lots of extra power so the easy to drive monitor 7's will allow you to get the most out of your receiver. Happy listening

Post Number: 2
Thanks guys.

Seems like I've heard lots of places that Paradigm is overpriced for the quality you actually get, and to consider something like PSB.

Different opinions than yours I suppose ?

Bronze Member
Username: Dloweman

Post Number: 40
That is the first time that I have ever heard that paradigm is overpriced. I have heard time and time again what a great speaker you get for the price. One of the best values out there.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2392
Adam,
Are this places selling PSB?

Post Number: 3
www.psbspeakers.com

gavincumm
Unregistered guest
Paradigm makes some of the BEST speakers on the market, reguardless of price with reguards to their signature line.

Looking at their performance and monitor lines, the performance for the price is shockingly good. Their speakers can go head to head with much more expensive speakers and pull their own. That is also the first time that I have ever heard that Paradigm is overpriced.

Take a look, I think you will be happy. I use paradigms in the living room, and magnepans in my main system. I can listen in my living room, and be really happy with the sound quality.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2419
Well, Adam, that is a PSB website, were you saying that they are the ones who told you that Paradigm is overpriced?

Or were the dealers selling PSB that told you Paradigms were over priced? If they did, you have to look at the logic behind that.

Post Number: 4
Neither actually, just in conversation with friends who consider themselves "audiophiles."

One of them actually owned a pair of Monitor 7's and took them back, and is currently really happy with the PSB speakers he's running, one of the main reasons I'm asking :-)

Post Number: 5
On a related note, I just exchanged the Amp for a RX-V650, opted to not go as far at the 750, as I didn't feel the price justified the additions.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2434
Well then, your friends have done something that you should also be doing. Go out there and listen to the speakers yourself and make a decision. You may very well have a different preference with speakers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us