Help me pick a receiver/system!

Username: Chris_l

Post Number: 1
I'm purchasing my first home audio system for my new home. I really, really need some help from you audiophiles.

I need to get a 5.1 system because my family room is wired for two suround sound speakers.

I'm trying to decide between the Onkyo LS-V955 home theater in a box (cost shipped is about $810) and assembling my own system out of separate components, most likely a good $300-$400 receiver plus the Velodyne Deco 5.1 speaker system (cost shipped for the speakers is about $750).

My family room is fairly large: about 18 feet deep with a sloping cathedral ceiling and is open to the breakfast room and partially open to the upstairs, if that makes a difference.

Any ideas as to which way I should go? The Onkyo HTIB probably is much easier to set up and comes with a DVD player, but I suspect that going with a component system might produce better sound.

As far as receivers, I've heard good things about the Pioneer VSX-D912K, Pioneer VSX-D914K, and the Harmon Kardon AVR325, all of which would probably be in my price range. However, these are 6.1/7.1 receivers. Will it be a problem pairing them with a 5.1 speaker system like the Velodyne Decos?

Bottom line: I can go with the Onkyo LS-9555V for a little over $800 or the Velodyne Deco speakers plus a decent receiver for closer to $1100. In my shoes, which do you guys think would be preferable?

spakins
Unregistered guest
Look for the VSX 1014K. You can find it for 350 to 400. It's a very nice unit (and heavy too) and provides amplification that is superior to the Pio 914K. www.jandr.com and bestbuy.com both have the 1014K

Bronze Member
Username: Lytalbayre

Post Number: 36
I guess it all depends on your willingness to bargain hunt and your desire for manufacturer warranties via authorized vendors.

I prefer to bargain hunt even though I might lose out occasionally, it's the quick and dirty way to get a great system for a great price. Ebay, audiogon, etc!

I definately recommend that you buy your system piece by piece. Audition everything you can, and don't buy something you know you won't be happy with! Save up until you can afford it, even if it will utlimately push you over your budget. In the meantime, you can always buy something cheaper to use and replace it with an upgrade in the future.

Goodluck!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us