DVD-A disc thru DVD-V and Amp

Username: Sloburnt

Vancouver

Post Number: 2
Hey all, I've learned a lot just reading here but haven't quite got this one..

Kinda excited about playing a Nine Inch Nails DVD-A I've got but waiting to set up the best way 1st with what I've got..

Sony NC625 5-disc DVD-V/CD Player
to
Pioneer VSXD510 Receiver(has all possible inputs)

I've got the dig. coax out on the dvd, and the amp's got that input as well as the 6 channels..

Will the dig. coax out decode well enough (or at all) to support the TRUE 5.1 surround mix? --(or even at a comprimised bit-rate)-- (Considering I'm not ready to just BOOYEA and go get a DVD-A player just yet...

I've read different things from: it not working at all using dig. coax because of copyrights from the dvd-a disc ; Not getting the proper rez (96 bumped down to 48 khz)...

Have we really gotten screwed again? Or are the differences so slight I'll still boast most of what the DVD-A disc has to offer?

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 272
Depends on the disc, some DVD-As contain a 48 KHz 2 channel track. Some even contain a 5.1 Dolby Digital or DTS track you can access with the coax cable.

Unfortuneately for the true high rez 24 bit / 96 Hhz playback, you're going to need a player with the 6 channel analog outputs.

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 305
The S/PDIF (coaxial or optical cable) interface is limited to a total 192KHz/24 bits summing up all channels. So in theory you could put through several channels at CD quality. Problem is, receiver DSP does only understand DD, DTS and 2-channel PCM. The latter can actually be up to 96KHz/24 bits per stereo channel within DVD-V standard. But often disc gives instructions to player to downsample digital out at 48/24. This protection can be overruled on a decrypted disc copy. (An interesting albeit slightly illegal experiment).

Cheers
AL

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 411
Even if you have the 6-channel analog outputs, which I think you do, you're not going to get high-res sound playing DVD-As on the Sony player, because Sony doesn't support that format. You'll be able to play the did probably but it will be at a lower resolution, comparable to DVD-V sound or if the disc has it, DTS.

Hey AL,

Go Barcee!

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 306
Exactly, only the DVD-V LPCM can be dealt with as of my description, not DVD-A PPCM.

Cheers
AL

Username: Sloburnt

Vancouver

Post Number: 3
Nope I don't have the 6 analog outputs.. also the specs on the dvd player say it does not support dvd audio discs.

I did hook up the digital but I'm not sure if I'm getting a simulated surround or if I'm just hearing it differently because parts of the music have been mixed to stand out. The dvd-a I tried has Dolby Surround option or Dolby Stereo. My amp decodes displays Prologic with it playing thru Dolby Surround though.

Although I'm not done figuring this whole operation - another Q..

Why haven't DVD-A's been just been a DVD-V if the latter has been designed to get the best possible sound in surround?

More to quiz later.. Thanks alot guys

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 308
DVD-V surround is compressed:
- DTS maybe 4:1, each channel is compressed separately
- DD/AC3 usually even higher compression, eliminating interference phenomenons between channels.

DVD-A is packed with MLP algorithm:
- Compression rate is merely 1:2
- MLP allows for 100% restoring of the original PCM signals.

Total DVD-A bit rate is actually comparable to DVD-V. But used for audio only! (except a few still pictures)

Hasta pronto
AL
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us